2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

You telling me RT isn’t a premium position? It has turned into one

committing money to past their prime players cause issues or committing money to players who turn out to be flops. 

no one had issues with Zeitler getting money 

No issues because there was no immediate need for cap space to extend young players.

And yes, RT is not a premium position. Find me a GM who says it is, if you can.

Extra playoff spot might come with next CBA. Would put a LOT of emphasis on getting 1 seed.

Under the current CBA proposal that NFL owners are pushing for, the playoff field would be expanded to seven teams from each conference, while the regular season would be increased to 17 games per team and the preseason shortened to three games per team, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28739375/more-playoff-teams-expected-new-nfl-cba-sources-say

Edited by candyman93

2 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

No issues because there was no immediate need for cap space to extend young players.

find me a GM that says RT isnt a premium position. With the amount of passing going on and even more dangerous pass rushers, RT has greatly evolved into a more important position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

“How do you know someone doesn’t really know what they’re talking about when it comes to the NFL these days?

When they talk about the difference between left tackles and right tackles or describe an offensive lineman as a “right tackle only,” that’s how.

The truth is, anybody who has been paying close attention to the league the last few years realizes (or at least should) that there is no longer a distinction between the two positions on the edges of a team’s offensive line. If your team’s front office hasn’t figured that out yet, and there are still a few I’m not convinced have, you’ve got major problems.“

The Raiders and the Eagles have both identified the increased importance of the right tackle position and have allocated assets there accordingly. Not all other NFL teams have followed suit and some of them have really struggled as a result.”

It means you better have a right tackle who can pass protect and not play like a slower-footed ogre like some teams have put out there. Look at the teams that went far in the playoffs last year and you quickly realize they all had very good right tackle play. It’s become a premium position in a passing league focused on affecting the quarterback even if the salaries haven’t all caught up to that reality yet.

It also means that if you hear someone continuing to make a distinction between left and right tackle you should probably stop listening to them because their thinking is outdated.“

article by Ross Tucker back in June. Talks about the eagle. The organization that our GM just came from. Now go look at al the recent big deals RTs have just signed. You can see it has def changed into RT being a premium position 

Edited by buno67
  • Like 2

Signing Conklin means pick one of these three to leave in free agency in 2 years:

Myles Garrett 

Nick Chubb 

Denzel Ward

So go ahead. Sign the guy to a huge contract. Then spend the entire 5 years of that contract praying he's worth what you had to give up to get him. 

Also spend that time tracking this stacked OT class and who could have been playing for us for a tenth of what Conklin will be getting.

He better be All-Pro every year to justify that kind of contract. Would he be that good in a wide zone scheme? Nobody knows because he's never done it.

How many risks does a signing need before it's a bad idea?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

Signing Conklin means pick one of these three to leave in free agency in 2 years:

Myles Garrett 

Nick Chubb 

Denzel Ward

So go ahead. Sign the guy to a huge contract. Then spend the entire 5 years of that contract praying he's worth what you had to give up to get him. 

Also spend that time tracking this stacked OT class and who could have been playing for us for a tenth of what Conklin will be getting.

He better be All-Pro every year to justify that kind of contract. Would he be that good in a wide zone scheme? Nobody knows because he's never done it.

How many risks does a signing need before it's a bad idea?

Does it though, we could move on from juice or obj, or bitonio, or Tretter who covers a good some of the conklin deal. One of them drops off in play most likely.

I generally agree with @ditchdigger on this one.  Conklin is an avg starter (maybe a bit better), but he's gonna get HUGE money.  He'll be even more overpaid than the average FA since this FA class is pretty bad for OT's.

On the flip side, this draft class is loaded at OT.

Doesn't take Ivy League grads to figure out the best move here...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

One is a running back and the other is a walking concussion.

Dont u talk about my lord and savior nick chubb like that

i know im a nerd guy but man if we had 53 nick chubbs wed win the whole damn thing.  Hes a guy you break the rules for 

• Like 1