2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

It’s really going to be interesting trying to figure out the identity of this team going forward.

I’m not sure what positions analytics favors more. If you believe the chiefs are heavy into analytics, then the least important positions are: RB, LB, IOL, and CB. They value WR, OT, and Safety.

Just my gut feeling, but I think it’s all about simply maximizing the capabilities of your QB (could be with WRs or TEs) and just preventing big plays on defense.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Just my gut feeling, but I think it’s all about simply maximizing the capabilities of your QB (could be with WRs or TEs) and just preventing big plays on defense.

It’s not your gut feeling it’s a Captain Obvious advertisement, or for you UK cats add VERT ismunt. @Mega Ron @Aztec Hammer @Kiwibrown @hornbybrown buno’s @andetc  @anybodyImiss?

The Browns last year became the first team in NFL history to have a losing season every year of a calendar decade. That's something even the Saints couldn't do in their first 20 years despite not having a winning season until 1987, because they went 8-8 in 1979. Their current streak of losing seasons is 2 off the record set by the Bucs between 1983-96.

This gets me to thinking. If the NFL knew the Browns would have such a hard time after coming back after the way they did the settlement, the NFL would have done things a lot differently.

Art Modell would have had to sell the Browns to a person willing to keep the team in Cleveland, but in return, he would get an expansion team in Baltimore to begin play in 1998 when what is now M&T Bank Stadium was completed. Plus, the new owner of the Browns had to commit to building a new stadium in Cleveland, which would have put their 1996-98 home games at Ohio Stadium on the campus of OSU, where the Browns would experience many of the same gameday traditions of the Buckeyes, including the dotting of the I, and the marching band playing at home games.

The Ravens, coming into existence a different way, would have been placed in the AFC East for their first four years of existence, as the Colts, Baltimore's former team, were in the East, which would have led to a huge but short-lived rivalry between the Colts and Ravens, which ends with the 2002 realignment bringing the Colts into the AFC North with the Browns, Bengals, and Steelers. The Dolphins would have been placed into the AFC South with the Jaguars, Texans, and Titans (assuming the Houston saga went the same way).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, buno67 said:

Yeah others didn’t have the chance to play with Garrett but Vernon could have had a potentially better stat line like more sacks if Garrett wasn’t with him. Garrett beat Vernon a lot of times when he also beat his man. 

I think that is a huge reach.  Teams were doubling garrett constantly.  Without him Vernon sees those doubles if he is that legit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, buno67 said:

For comparison, Vernon was 13.2%

For comparison, following edge-rushers fit into same range as Vernon in pass-rush productivity:

Khalil Mack: 13.2%

Dante Fowler: 13.2%

Brandon Graham: 13.1%

Arik Armstead: 12.5%

Chandler Jones: 12.2%

Everson Griffen: 12.1%

Vernon also graded better against the run than any Browns defensive lineman, other than Sheldon Richardson, last season.

Interesting.  Where does Garrett fall on this list?

the deal id offer Kareem hunt.

2nd round tender. No one takes it. 

2 years 14 million 8 gtd. 

He gets a big bump over the 2nd round tender, and we get a year below market value. If he plays well he still gets a shot at a big deal in free agency and we move on from him when we need money for some star players. 

Win win.

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 1

I think we need to make Isaiah Simmons our priority. 

we gotta play Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow in our division. 

we gotta go through Pat Mahomes and Travis Kelce If we want to go to a superbowl

we need a guy that can spy, cover man, cover in zone, and has the size to matchup against Tes like Kelce and Mark Andrews

lets get a stop gap at LT sign whoever we can so there isn’t a glaring hole. I really like Jason Peters as an option for a year.