2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Man I really hope Brady signs with the Raiders or the Colts and they trade us their first for Odell

that way we can draft Lamb or Jeudy

I want to get rid of him man. Save cap, get a younger receiver, and build this culture correctly 

Then we can trade that 1st for Deshone Kizer.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, braylon said:

I think we could field a better defense than some think, depending one the moves we make in the next few months..

Vernon - Ogunjobi - Richardson - Garrett 

The depth is non existent, but that's an above average starting DLine.. Sign depth guys like Carl Nassib and David Onyemata and this group isn't looking too bad.

Kirksey - Takitaki - Wilson

This group is below average at very best, pending Wilson and Takitaki taking some steps. We will likely have 5 DBs on the field pretty often though, so Kirksey and Wilson has the potential to be an okay LB duo if Kirksey can recover from injury and Wilson can improve on an up and down, but sometimes promising rookie season. This is a position that I would like to see us address in the draft early.

Ward - Mitchell - Greedy are probably locks to be our top 3 corners next year, again I feel comfortable calling that above average. Safety however is an enormous question mark and how we address it this offseason will play a huge role in the success of our defense IMO. I would like to resign Randall, sign Tre Boston and then hopefully draft someone in the first three rounds. If we manage to do that I would say we can get some decent safety play next year. 

I don't know, I don't think we need to panic yet...

DL: Vernon - Richardson - Ogunjobi - Garrett

LB: Kirksey - Wilson

CB: Ward - Greedy - Mitchell

S: Randall - Boston

Would that 11 man group really be THAT bad? I don't think so. And that's a pretty modest approach to FA and doesn't even account for draft picks. Potentially some issues defending the run? Yes. Do I hope for better? Yes. Potential to be better than "average for stretches"? Definitely yes.

I'm pretty much assuming Randall and Kirksey won't be here or will be unavailable most the season.  Not really accounting for who we could sign either since we'll be competing with other teams for a guy like Boston and have and FO that won't overpay for players.

They were bad at the end of last season and will have to replace 2 of their more consistent players in Schobert and Randall.  Getting Garrett back will be huge but LB and safety will be suspect almost regardless of what we do.

And, aside from my first post, we have no good backups at d-line which is almost just as important as the starters are.

If we are going to be good it seems like it is going to be more likely from scoring 30 points a game than stopping the other team.

47 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Brown and Trent would be a great haul 

An elite front helps any defense 

Why, the starting 11 won't look like this come season, relax

Also on Schobert, if the Non Analytics and Analytic both agree he isn't worth the money, chances are....he isn't 

I was never a huge Schobert believer or already attacking this FO for the roster.  He was great in some ways and flawed in others, definitely not a complete LB worth breaking the bank for.  It's just going to be tough/costly to replace him as well, or we are hedging our bets on Kirskey being available, or Takitaki becoming decent enough in coverage to get an extended run.  I'm not sold on either of those things happening.

• Like 1

Just now, Rod Johnson said:

Based on playing your DT's for 90% of the snaps the entire season isn't sustainable for their health and production.

I should rephrase. What team has backup DTs as good as their starters?

They don’t exist. You just need backups to fill in and not be a joke.

21 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I should rephrase. What team has backup DTs as good as their starters?

They don’t exist. You just need backups to fill in and not be a joke.

I wasn't saying that exists.  I'm saying that injuries are inevitable at d-line and a rotation should exist.  Looking at our starting 4 guys and thinking "those are 4 good starters" is a lot different than the d-line being a strength of the team.  You'd be lucky to get half a season where the line is dominating a game if they are getting run into the dirt and/or half of them are sidelined and you're running street FA's and Chad Thomas out there.

Edited by Rod Johnson

I still don’t think it’s a certainty that Kirksey and Vernon are here.

Unless there’s a benefit to cutting them now as opposed to after FA, why would you?

If you’re able to snag a good value starter in FA, cool, do it and release whoever.  If not, keep them and see if you can draft someone.

40 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I still don’t think it’s a certainty that Kirksey and Vernon are here.

Unless there’s a benefit to cutting them now as opposed to after FA, why would you?

If you’re able to snag a good value starter in FA, cool, do it and release whoever.  If not, keep them and see if you can draft someone.

I firmly believe we will not be a balanced team next year. The offense will be carrying the show. Is that good? I don’t know.

However, it’s probably the best way for us to wins games right now. 

Edited by candyman93

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

I wasn't saying that exists.  I'm saying that injuries are inevitable at d-line and a rotation should exist.  Looking at our starting 4 guys and thinking "those are 4 good starters" is a lot different than the d-line being a strength of the team.  You'd be lucky to get half a season where the line is dominating a game if they are getting run into the dirt and/or half of them are sidelined and you're running street FA's and Chad Thomas out there.

I agree. That's why I mentioned signing some depth guys. The fact that we have a solid starting 4 is a plus and I don't think addressing your backup defensive line in the offseason is all that far fetched.. Also, Chad Thomas has shown extreme improvement since his rookie year, who says he can't become solid depth himself?