2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

6 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

:P

Don't lose this optimism in a couple seasons when we're looking for another QB and Tom's taking his new team to the SB.

Looking forward to Tom playing well into his two hundreds.

Edited by NudeTayne
because Tom Brady would totally sign with Cleveland
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He’s not that good. Upper mid level guard. But he’s solid. Wouldn’t go more than a 4th. 

41 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

He’s a 26 year old 5 time pro bowler.

And all his guaranteed money is paid out. 

If we could get him for a 4th it’s a no-brainer. If they ask for our later third though, I’m sending it over. 

• Like 1

Going to be really interesting to see how Berry builds the team.

Baseball formula: Wins <- Score runs <- Get on base

Would the football formula be: Wins <- Score TDs <- Get 1st downs...?

Just look at the best teams at converting on 3rd down. Obviously, some of these teams underachieved, but you have Baltimore, Kansas City, and San Francisco in the top 5. Minnesota was 9th.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

I’m just guessing, but I think offense is the way the team is going to be built. The defense won’t be totally ignored.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Just look at the best teams at converting on 3rd down. Obviously, some of these teams underachieved, but you have Baltimore, Kansas City, and San Francisco in the top 5. Minnesota was 9th.

I’m just guessing, but I think offense is the way the team is going to be built. The defense won’t be totally ignored.

Im not sure you could take such a simple algorithmic approach works with football.

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Converting 3rd downs isn’t really “analytics”, or a formula, it’s been a principle of winning football forever. It is huge though,  it’s offensively and defensively.

I think the “formula” is going to be based on applying analytics (run vs pass, formation, etc) to the offense to become as efficient as possible. Stuff other teams have been doing for a while.

The offense will definitely be the focal point though, the league is set up for it to be.

Defensively I think SPARQ and like are going to be weighed heavily, just as before.  A lot of defense is reactionary, and having twitched up freaks to counter the offense and hopefully create big plays would be the goal imo.

Obviously it’s easy to point to the Sashi regime as a template for what they’re going to do, but I wonder how much was Berry, how much was Sashi, and how much was Sashi trying to appease Hue and the other coaches with players they liked?  I’m excited to see what Berry does.

13 hours ago, candyman93 said:

IMO, much of the new age analytics means a high percentage of RED ZONE TD vs. having to settle for FG, as well as points scored per possession. This means that:

*Field position is largely OVER valued if you are giving your opponent more opportunities to possess the ball with today's rules/offensive outputs.

*Kicking FG in the Red Zone, particularly inside the 3 yard line in "Goal to Go" situations should only really be done if you are going up 3 possessions in the first half or 2 possessions with a quarter or less to play

Check this out:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/upshot/4th-down-when-to-go-for-it-and-why.html

While no one has ever done/attempted to do the 4th and one bit, the point remains.

• Like 1