2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

1 hour ago, zelbell said:

Seeing all the success we have in 12 personnel this year (small sample size this year and last year), I would love to see us trade for OJ Howard this offseason

He was one of my favorite TE prospects of all-time.

In fact, he was my favorite TE prospect of all-time. Tyler Eifert was close, but Howard was a much better blocker.

Hope RSJ and Vernon aren't out long but both looked to have bad knee injuries. 

Been surprising how much we seemed to go away from RSJ in the last few weeks. 

Would've been nice to have Genard Avery to fill in with Vernon out if he misses time.

Baker needs a TE based on his play traits. We need Njoku back and to hit on a TE in the draft.

With Vernon out, I guess it's Chad Thomas time more full time. He's played well against the run, but with increased pass rush snaps it will be interesting to see what he can do in that regard.

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Hope RSJ and Vernon aren't out long but both looked to have bad knee injuries. 

Been surprising how much we seemed to go away from RSJ in the last few weeks. 

Would've been nice to have Genard Avery to fill in with Vernon out if he misses time.

Baker needs a TE based on his play traits. We need Njoku back and to hit on a TE in the draft.

With Vernon out, I guess it's Chad Thomas time more full time. He's played well against the run, but with increased pass rush snaps it will be interesting to see what he can do in that regard.

Avery got a sack today. Sorry my bad with RSJ I claimed him in fantasy and we basically haven’t passed to him since

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

We might as well complete the tank now 

The worst thing about this season to me going forward is that beating the Dolphins and Steelers and Bengals saves Freddie from being fired and prevents us from making the necessary changes.

I'd rather lose more games so that we can hire the right coach rather then us linger along with the wrong guy and culture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

The worst thing about this season to me going forward is that beating the Dolphins and Steelers and Bengals saves Freddie from being fired and prevents us from making the necessary changes.

I'd rather lose more games so that we can hire the right coach rather then us linger along with the wrong guy and culture.

I don’t think besting these teams will matter tbh.

If we beat the Ravens and Bill, run the table, etc., maybe.

I think fans, including myself for a long time, are waiting on something that isn’t gonna happen.  I don’t see this team “flipping a switch” and turning things around.

Freddie is toast and we’re gonna start from scratch.  Again.

I’m sure that will work out well too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Man I was just thinking this. Chase Young would probably be an improvement over Myles 

He absolutely would be. I think it will be tough to tank to that level though. He’s a freak. If we somehow ended up with Young, the tank would be worth it. Alas, he will probably be in Miami or New York. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think besting these teams will matter tbh.

If we beat the Ravens and Bill, run the table, etc., maybe.

I think fans, including myself for a long time, are waiting on something that isn’t gonna happen.  I don’t see this team “flipping a switch” and turning things around.

Freddie is toast and we’re gonna start from scratch.  Again.

I’m sure that will work out well too.

I don't know man.

I hope you're right.

I just really doubt that Freddie gets fired if we win 7 based on our losing/hiring history, and I still think we get to the 7 win benchmark based on the quality of QBs and/or teams we play (Brandon Allen was an unknown and incorrectly assumed to be of poor quality; Mason Rudolph is a known bad QB).

Going 5-3 the rest of the way isn't a certainty but it's highly probable.

I'm right there with you on being skeptical of starting from scratch, especially after our coaching search this last time. I wonder if the Haslams and their search firms assist Dorsey this time because his beyond lackluster candidate list last time even after having a head-start on the coaching search process was terrible.

Maybe we luck out b/c there doesn't seem to be the new hot shiny coordinator in the league so maybe we won't be fooled into those false hope hires.

We need a proven elite program/culture leader head coach with the ability to hire an elite QB coach and OC. We'll have to turn our eyes away from the NFL when it comes to the HC position, but we can supplement that HC with NFL coaches on their staff to alleviate concerns.

Let's hope we can figure it out.

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I don't know man.

I hope you're right.

I just really doubt that Freddie gets fired if we win 7 based on our losing/hiring history, and I still think we get to the 7 win benchmark based on the quality of QBs and/or teams we play (Brandon Allen was an unknown and incorrectly assumed to be of poor quality; Mason Rudolph is a known bad QB).

Going 5-3 the rest of the way isn't a certainty but it's highly probable.

I'm right there with you on being skeptical of starting from scratch, especially after our coaching search this last time. I wonder if the Haslams and their search firms assist Dorsey this time because his beyond lackluster candidate list last time even after having a head-start on the coaching search process was terrible.

Maybe we luck out b/c there doesn't seem to be the new hot shiny coordinator in the league so maybe we won't be fooled into those false hope hires.

We need a proven elite program/culture leader head coach with the ability to hire an elite QB coach and OC. We'll have to turn our eyes away from the NFL when it comes to the HC position, but we can supplement that HC with NFL coaches on their staff to alleviate concerns.

Let's hope we can figure it out.

What makes you confident we win 5 more games?

We barely beat the Jets and the Ravens game was clearly an aberration by a team that still had hope and confidence.

They laid and egg in Denver knowing what that game was.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What makes you confident we win 5 more games?

We barely beat the Jets and the Ravens game was clearly an aberration by a team that still had hope and confidence.

They laid and egg in Denver knowing what that game was.

I'm not confident that we'll win 5 more games at all; however, I do think it's more likely than not given the quality of opponents.

We lost by 5 and were a few timely conversions or redzone attempts away from winning that game by a fair margin. Just based on the number of at bats we have yet to see; percentages-wise I'm sure we stumble into or connect on some swings going forward. Teams with talent like ours don't ever go fully in the tank, especially against the opponent combination of Bad team+ Bad young QB.

It's just the odds and averages suggest that while we'll suck and continue to disappoint we'll likely have success with multiple consecutive swings at the plate against poor quality opponents.

I wish it was the case that we'd only win 3-4 more so we can make the right adjustments to the team, but I believe we'll do just enough to justify the powers that be maintaining the status quo.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I'm not confident that we'll win 5 more games at all; however, I do think it's more likely than not given the quality of opponents.

We lost by 5 and were a few timely conversions or redzone attempts away from winning that game by a fair margin. Just based on the number of at bats we have yet to see; percentages-wise I'm sure we stumble into or connect on some swings going forward. Teams with talent like ours don't ever go fully in the tank, especially against the opponent combination of Bad team+ Bad young QB.

It's just the odds and averages suggest that while we'll suck and continue to disappoint we'll likely have success with multiple consecutive swings at the plate against poor quality opponents.

I wish it was the case that we'd only win 3-4 more so we can make the right adjustments to the team, but I believe we'll do just enough to justify the powers that be maintaining the status quo.

Fair I suppose.

I dunno though.  I hate the constant turnover and don’t believe in firing a guy if he had a bad year, even if it’s his first year, but you have to show me something.  If we rip off some wins and the team plays hard, I guess that shows me something, but not a lot.

1 quality win with this roster doesn’t look good.

• Like 1