2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

42 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

My counter is that they relied on turnovers and high sack totals. The 2 sexy stats that don’t translate well the following year.

Just like Chicago.

that is true they relied on sacks and INTs to cover up horrible QB play. Now they potentially could have avg. QB player that could offset the lack of sacks and INTs compared to last year

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

that is true they relied on sacks and INTs to cover up horrible QB play. Now they potentially could have avg. QB player that could offset the lack of sacks and INTs compared to last year

Agree, but that's no guarantee. We have no idea how Ben will be as QBs can easily fall off a cliff at his age, especially coming back from injury.

Big Ben is easily a better QB than Duck and Rudolph but those two were put into an offense tweaked to not rely on them and to limit their mistakes. It's not like they were thrown out there and were completely decimated. Together, they went 276/443 (62%) 18 TDs and 17 INTs. As Browns fans, we've seen far worse QB play.

Ben is not going to be coming back to a team with as many weapons. He's not going to be slinging the ball all over and shredding defenses constantly. He's quite turnover prone himself and with an aging o-line, could have some disastrous performances that the defense can't simply overcome (as they have with Duck and Rudolph).

LSS: I could see the Steelers winning 10 games, but I could also see them only winning 6.

19 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I don't know if this is accurate at all, but if I were his agent, I would tell him you should be trying to go to Cleveland because:

A) We obviously offered the most money

B) Most important, why wouldn't you want to go somewhere where you don't have to shoulder the load of being the sole focus of the blocking schemes, to be honest, the smartest thing he can do is sign a 1 year deal with us and play with Garrett and back door 10 sacks to boost his value on the market

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Am I the only one confused by the Pittsburgh hype?

Ben is 38 and has a F’d up elbow.

That age is when most QBs not named Brady and Brees fall off a cliff. It’s also not like those 2 are even airing it out deep anymore.

Add, this is the worst group of skills he's had since he's been in the league, the whole franchise is on his "shoulder"

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Called it

Where did you find it? Just curious....

I was hoping it was more like what he said with the whole "Making the defense fit our personnel" mindset.....

*I am a fan of Grant Delpit, JT Hassel and Sheldrick Redwine....and think the Big Nickle is the way to handle some of the Top Offense's in the league (particularly Balt., SF and KC)

Edited by DaWg_LB.

4 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Where did you find it? Just curious....

I was hoping it was more like what he said with the whole "Making the defense fit our personnel" mindset.....

*I am a fan of Grant Delpit, JT Hassel and Sheldrick Redwine....and think the Big Nickle is the way to handle some of the Top Offense's in the league (particularly Balt., SF and KC)

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/joe-woods-minimizing-linebackers

5 hours ago, Vee-Rex said:

Agree, but that's no guarantee. We have no idea how Ben will be as QBs can easily fall off a cliff at his age, especially coming back from injury.

Big Ben is easily a better QB than Duck and Rudolph but those two were put into an offense tweaked to not rely on them and to limit their mistakes. It's not like they were thrown out there and were completely decimated. Together, they went 276/443 (62%) 18 TDs and 17 INTs. As Browns fans, we've seen far worse QB play.

Ben is not going to be coming back to a team with as many weapons. He's not going to be slinging the ball all over and shredding defenses constantly. He's quite turnover prone himself and with an aging o-line, could have some disastrous performances that the defense can't simply overcome (as they have with Duck and Rudolph).

LSS: I could see the Steelers winning 10 games, but I could also see them only winning 6.

They still have potential of being a good offense because of Ben, Juju, and Conner. Im just not going to doubt Ben until he shows that he truly can’t play anymore

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Josh Kline would be a nice under the radar signing for us. He played in Stefanskis scheme last year. He played right next to Conklin from 2016-2018.

Yeah I don’t understand why he hasn’t been signed yet. I’d love him on a one year deal. 

55 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yeah I don’t understand why he hasn’t been signed yet. I’d love him on a one year deal. 

I think his problem is injuries. He’s been paid as a productive starter every stop, but some freak injury ends it.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I think his problem is injuries. He’s been paid as a productive starter every stop, but some freak injury ends it.

Yeah just curious. Signs a 4yr deal with Titans and gets cut a year later. Signs a 3yr deal with Vikings and cut a year later. They just might like the guys they have at potentially RG and those guys are all extremely cheap

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

They still have potential of being a good offense because of Ben, Juju, and Conner. Im just not going to doubt Ben until he shows that he truly can’t play anymore

Yeah, the trio had almost 1600 total yards last year combined, they should strike fear in ya.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, the trio had almost 1600 total yards last year combined, they should strike fear in ya.

If we’re going to use last year to define those players, then it def defines baker, which means the browns are screwed. Both of them were injured last year and didn’t have their QB. Assume they will play closer to their 2500 ‘18 season than last season next year. 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

If we’re going to use last year to define those players, then it def defines baker, which means the browns are screwed. Both of them were injured last year and didn’t have their QB. Assume they will play closer to their 2500 ‘18 season than last season next year. 

Yeah well Conner isn't going to be a top 20 RB so I'm not scared. JuJu looked a lot better as a complimentary receiver, it looks like low end #1 or high end #2. So not scared of him either. Ben... well we'll see but he isn't what he once was.

Baker wasn't as bad as the situation for him was last year. He had two poor pass protecting tackles and nothing at RG... that spells doom for any passing attack and especially so if you don't adjust and Freddie didn't. I'll take last year's Baker as long as the situation around him is better and it certainly should be.