2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

32 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

James Conner is a JAG and Juju strikes me as a Jarvis Landry type. Where he can be incredibly productive, but he’s not a #1 guy.

Agree about Conner, and the jury is still out on JuJu as to if he's a legit #1 or not. He was looking really good to start off his career, but it helped that he had AB taking attention off of him. Last year he was the main guy, but he was stuck playing with crap at QB. This year we should get a better indication as to if he's a legit #1 or just a really good second option.

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah well Conner isn't going to be a top 20 RB so I'm not scared. JuJu looked a lot better as a complimentary receiver, it looks like low end #1 or high end #2. So not scared of him either. Ben... well we'll see but he isn't what he once was.

Baker wasn't as bad as the situation for him was last year. He had two poor pass protecting tackles and nothing at RG... that spells doom for any passing attack and especially so if you don't adjust and Freddie didn't. I'll take last year's Baker as long as the situation around him is better and it certainly should be.

When Connor was healthy the year prior, he absolutely destroyed us twice and he was easily a top20 back. Last year the Steelers were hot garbage with injury. I’m not writing Connor off cause he fits that role of steeler RBs they notoriously kill us. 

Steelers have as good excuses for last year as The browns do. Not going to write them off until they truly prove it. Same way I am not writing baker off

Watching some OBJ highlights, he’s still the best route runner in the NFL (excluding Antonio Brown). That alone could have him playing until he’s 35 if he wants to. He also still has phenomenal hands as well. 

It’s a similar situation with Jarvis. He’s just not as explosive as OBJ.

The front office needs to try hard as possible to keep those 2.

Edited by candyman93

58 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

PUNTING HIGHLIGHTS

Lots of #20 in those highlights and I had to look up his name: Tavierre Thomas.  Gillian was getting great hang time and this also really showed how good the unit was overall, gunners consistently winning their matchups on the edge forcing fair catches.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pmk said:

Lots of #20 in those highlights and I had to look up his name: Tavierre Thomas.  Gillian was getting great hang time and this also really showed how good the unit was overall, gunners consistently winning their matchups on the edge forcing fair catches.

Everything I’ve read suggests Thomas was our best special teams player.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2020 at 7:53 AM, candyman93 said:

James Conner is a JAG and Juju strikes me as a Jarvis Landry type. Where he can be incredibly productive, but he’s not a #1 guy.

Jarvis Landry was the best thing to happen to this football team in 5 years and possibly the best FA signing the Browns have made since their return.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Jarvis Landry was the best thing to happen to this football team in 5 years and possibly the best FA signing the Browns have made since their return.

He wasn’t a FA signing tho.

I got a Concept I wanted to run through you guys.....I meant to ask this question last week....

We all know we have some HUGE contracts coming up, not just BIG...but the type that can reset markets....at DE and QB...and also will need to re-sign a #1 CB in Ward...that will choke most of the life out of our salary cap (especially if the cap goes down next year)....are we going to have the cash to extend a top 5 RB (top 3 IMO, but others read this room too and I dont need a debate) in Nick Chubb, which would suck the remaining life out of the cap....and that will be with potential LT (Wills jr), another solid #2 potential #1 CB (6'3 greedy williams) and budding star at FS (delpit), not to mention if someone else hits outta nowhere.....

AND 2, if we are planning to resign nick chubb, then for the longevity of the position, I say we MUST give Kareem Hunt the bulk of the #1 carries.....now before you call me Crazy, this would save a year of Nick Chubbs legs, which would help him still look good in years 2 and 3 of that MONSTER 3 year extension that he signs in 2022. And remember, I'm saying replacing him with a kid that led the league in rushing a few years ago and is 25 this year...AND is playing in a Contract Year, hungry to reestablish his value..

What are your thoughts?

And a 3rd question I wanted to ask.....IF we are not planning to resign Chubb, then I say we need to run him at a 2000 yard pace, sign Hunt to a 2 year extension for small money (he wont have many stats with what Chubb would get) at the end of the season...and then TRADE HIM for 1rst + 4th + 5th round, as his value should be significant coming off a 2000 yard season......that's the business side/GM in me talking. NOW my PREFERENCE would be, we keep him through the end of his rookie deal and in that year, he gets his 2nd 2000 yard season running us to a SB and he signs a RB market resetting deal with his Homestate Falcons. "The Free State of Chubb"

I mean, are my thoughts insane?

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I got a Concept I wanted to run through you guys.....I meant to ask this question last week....

We all know we have some HUGE contracts coming up, not just BIG...but the type that can reset markets....at DE and QB...and also will need to re-sign a #1 CB in Ward...that will choke most of the life out of our salary cap (especially if the cap goes down next year)....are we going to have the cash to extend a top 5 RB (top 3 IMO, but others read this room too and I dont need a debate) in Nick Chubb, which would suck the remaining life out of the cap....and that will be with potential LT (Wills jr), another solid #2 potential #1 CB (6'3 greedy williams) and budding star at FS (delpit), not to mention if someone else hits outta nowhere.....

I'll say this:

You are spot on about DE in Myles in a HUGE/RESET THE MARKET type contract. He's going to command BIG MONEY.

As for Baker, this is a really important year. We could be looking at a "reset the market" for a QB year, or "Meh, we're not picking up his 5th year option" type of year.

Ward has to stay healthy if we're going to pay him (and we ALL want that to happen), and Greedy has a lot left to prove (I think scheme change will be great for him).

It sucks, because Chubb is arguably my favorite player, but investing big money in that position is a mistake. I'd look to try and re-sign him this year if possible, and if not, franchise tagging him after his rookie deal is up.

I'd always prioritize the following positions:

QB:

DE:

LT:

CB:

...in that order in today's NFL

AND 2, if we are planning to resign nick chubb, then for the longevity of the position, I say we MUST give Kareem Hunt the bulk of the #1 carries.....now before you call me Crazy, this would save a year of Nick Chubbs legs, which would help him still look good in years 2 and 3 of that MONSTER 3 year extension that he signs in 2022. And remember, I'm saying replacing him with a kid that led the league in rushing a few years ago and is 25 this year...AND is playing in a Contract Year, hungry to reestablish his value..

What are your thoughts?

I'd like to see us go to more of a platoon system with them as a 1/2 punch and utilize a lot more 2 RB sets, or have hybrid formations with 2 TE, 2 RB, moving Hunt in and out of the slot, etc. To be honest, if I got a good looking deal for Hunt, I'd trade him, get a serviceable backup RB, and try to draft another kid in R2 in 2021. I just don't "trust" Kareem off the field unfortunately.

And a 3rd question I wanted to ask.....IF we are not planning to resign Chubb, then I say we need to run him at a 2000 yard pace, sign Hunt to a 2 year extension for small money (he wont have many stats with what Chubb would get) at the end of the season...and then TRADE HIM for 1rst + 4th + 5th round, as his value should be significant coming off a 2000 yard season......that's the business side/GM in me talking. NOW my PREFERENCE would be, we keep him through the end of his rookie deal and in that year, he gets his 2nd 2000 yard season running us to a SB and he signs a RB market resetting deal with his Homestate Falcons. "The Free State of Chubb"

I mean, are my thoughts insane?

It would be hard to disagree with that, given the data showing getting a replacement RB is much easier, much more cap efficient, etc. Of course, if Baker craps the bed this year, you can absolutely re-sign Chubb and tell Baker to find a new home in 2022, holding out hope for 2021 that he figures it out while drafting a kid either really high or with some upside. He's got weapons and OL all over the place.

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

As for Baker, this is a really important year. We could be looking at a "reset the market" for a QB year, or "Meh, we're not picking up his 5th year option" type of year.

I think things will fall somewhere in between even if he has a very good year.

He simply is not and I do not think will be Mahomes-like elite.