2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

On 6/6/2020 at 5:39 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

No reason at all to rush and sign a 12M contract. I think he signs a 1 year 6-8M deal and stay in Seattle to make him look good for another year. 

He’s not getting Earl Thomas’d

Edited by candyman93

So today I learned Nick Chubb was the 3rd best pass blocking RB last year. That’s how you last a long time in today’s league.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_Fantasy/status/1269631484358545413?s=20

Also learned this:

Top 5 Big Time Throw Rate (highest-graded PFF throws) over the past 2 seasons:

Russell Wilson, 943 Att, 78 BTTs, 8.3%

Patrick Mahomes, 1064 Att, 73 BTTs, 6.9%

Baker Mayfield, 1020 Att, 65 BTTs, 6.4%

Aaron Rodgers, 1167 Att, 70 BTTs, 6.0%

Matthew Stafford, 846 Att, 48 BTTs, 5.8%

What is a big-time throw?

In its simplest terms, a big-time throw is on the highest end of both difficulty and value. While the value is easy to see statistically, the difficulty has more to do with passes that have a lower completion percentage the further the ball is thrown down the field. Therefore, the big-time throw is best described as a pass with excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown further down the field and/or into a tighter window.

The idea of the tight window can often bog people down as they ask, “Why do you want your quarterback to make riskier throws?” But it’s less about taking a risk and more about executing a pass that perhaps makes up for a deficiency on the offense. If a receiver can only create a tiny window of separation and the quarterback can put the ball in an optimum spot, he’s now created a big-play opportunity despite the receiver, not because of him. “Throwing receivers open” is a necessary skill at the NFL level, and big-time throws are just one way to capture it statistically. Sometimes difficult throws are necessary, because every offense will end up in unfavorable down-and-distance situations at times, and completing a regulation 3-yard out doesn’t help on 3rd-and-15.

Furthermore, we may see big-time throws under heavy pressure, turning a negative play into a positive, making a tight-window throw in the red zone where all passing windows are compressed, or perhaps throwing the beautiful 50-yard bomb down the field with good ball location. Hitting receivers #InStride is also important and more difficult to achieve the further the ball is thrown down the field. Well-thrown downfield passes that allow for further catch-and-run opportunities fall into the big-time throw category.

The levels of grading in the PFF system also allows for us to separate simple “catch opportunities” and “optimum throws.” Consider a 30-yard ‘go' route where the receiver has one step of separation. A quarterback can complete that pass with varying degrees of ball location, either hitting him perfectly in stride, hitting him on his frame for an easy catch, or underthrowing it just enough that the defender can get back in the play, but with the receiver still having the advantage. Allowing the receiver to catch and run is the important part of this scenario to achieve the big-time throw, while simply throwing a “catchable” pass may earn a positive, but it’s a step below optimum ball location.

• Like 4

Good read @candyman93!

This also tells me we need to schematically do things better. More high % throws to utilize RAC opportunities for OBJ and Jarvis, not to mention RB out of the backfield...and that's not even taking our TE into account.

I'd like to see more of an up tempo approach on a LOT of fronts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Good read @candyman93!

This also tells me we need to schematically do things better. More high % throws to utilize RAC opportunities for OBJ and Jarvis, not to mention RB out of the backfield...and that's not even taking our TE into account.

I'd like to see more of an up tempo approach on a LOT of fronts.

Which is the ideal approach to take. Jarvis has some of the best hands in the league and OBJ is one of the best slant WRs in the league. 

Sets that have 2WRs 2 TEs and Hunt in as the RB, should be potentially treated so 5wide. Force teams to bring in defenders for covering the pass than gash them with runs

13 hours ago, candyman93 said:

There’s a chance we only have 2 preseason games. It’s a good idea to me. Let guys get in game shape preseason game 1 and let’s guy fight for roster spots in game 2.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1270758945498566656

It’s still more than high school or college guys get, so I’m sure it will be more than enough.

IMO 4 preseason games was mostly a ploy to gouge season ticket owners and ensure an extra 2 gates for every team. Realistically, 2 is PLENTY. They should expand the active game day rosters (you should be able to roll 2 deep at every position and allocate for another 10-11 positions of your choice for a true active 53), cut it to a max of 2 preseason games, and all cuts and final rosters just need to be done by the final set day/date.

Run your starters out there for 1 Quarter in Game 1, 2+ in Game 2, and let's roll into Week 1.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 3

On 6/11/2020 at 6:40 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s still more than high school or college guys get, so I’m sure it will be more than enough.

I dont know about HS. A lot of teams are going to 7on7s tournaments all over the place, which gives the skill players a lot of help. They then will get about 2-3 scrimmages a year where they are facing up to 4-5 different teams. The majority will do 2 but some teams will pay to have a 3rd one. For college, have you seen the SEC schedule??? they have at least 2 preseason type games, they just happen to take one of them in the middle of the season, usually right before their biggest game of the year