2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

14 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

That’s one of the worst ideas I’ve ever heard and if I was a person of color I would honestly be offended by that proposal.

As a female politician said, here, I am a women of color, the color white. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

Seeing how we have had Hue, Berry, Sachi, Farmer and a lady coach we should get the no.1 overall pick from 2021-2022. 

We typically get close to that #1 pick without any unfair advantages though. 

• Like 2

Just watching more Baker highlights. He needs a YAC offense. He can be deadly accurate so he doesn’t need WRs to consistently win their 1 on 1 matchups. It’s something he has in common with Drew Brees. Which to be honest, that’s the perfect case ceiling for Baker.

If I’m correct, than in theory, Jarvis and OBJ are the perfect type of WRs for him.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Just watching more Baker highlights. He needs a YAC offense. He can be deadly accurate so he doesn’t need WRs to consistently win their 1 on 1 matchups. It’s something he has in common with Drew Brees. Which to be honest, that’s the perfect case ceiling for Baker.

This year's offense is set up to be a YAC offense.  If the major pieces stay healthy, Baker has a good shot to earn some accolades this season.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

If I’m correct, then in theory, Jarvis and OBJ are the perfect type of WRs for him.

You are correct.

• Like 2

Lots of talk of 55 man rosters, here are 2020 rules:

Practise squad 10 -> 12 (14 in 2022)

Gameday roster 46 -> 48
Min 8 OL

Roster remains 53
2 PS players can be elevated each week, these can then be signed by other team so likely ST contributors.

So basically we get 2 extra bodies on game day. Which will probably be safeties and linebackers.

Edited by candyman93

4 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I never understood why teams can’t just dress their whole roster. What’s the point in only letting 48 dress??

I think it might be for competitive balance. If the roster size is 53 and say your team is hurt, so you are only able to play say 45guys because of that and now you are facing a team with 53 healthy players, well that team that is 100% healthy has an advantage. If the roster is 53 but you can only dress 48, it can allow you to potentially rest injuried guys without having to put them on the IR to clear up a roster spot. That might be a reason. 

Read this on the internet and it makes sense

"It used to be that team rosters were only 45 guys, not just gameday, but for the entire team. It was extended to 53 to give teams more injury flexibility, as well as space for developmental prospects, with the caveat that only 45 were active on Sunday. There was also a convoluted 3rd QB rule, which has been ditched and added to the actives to make the total 46.

This is why the NFL waited so long on instituting a "return IR" designation, because they viewed the extra 8 slots as built-in injury room for teams to use as they please."

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Bonus money I imagine 

It has to have something to do with payroll, although not necessarily only bonuses.

I do not know the particulars of the CBA but I have to believe it is at least somewhat analagous to MLB.

Everything from daily meal money to  pay and vesting is affected when a player is brought up from the minors to the major league team.

• Like 1