Jump to content

2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis


Recommended Posts

I think both BJ Goodson and Tae Davis offer a surprisingly really good synergy on the field going back to their days starting for the Giants and that both will start this year for the Browns.

They are puzzle pieces that fit in terms of play urgency, toughness, and masking each others deficiencies.

Neither is a longterm solution in the slightest and can easily be upgraded. But for this year, they may fill in much needed gaps.

To me, rookie seasons are rookie seasons and you can't judge a player too harshly based on rookie struggles; however, the evaluations of Mack Wilson as being a future quality starter for the Browns are truly puzzling to me. There are those of us that thought Mack Wilson was a steal in the 5th Round and there are those of us (like me) that thought he went exactly where his film suggested he should go. His greatest qualities are versatility and pass coverage ability. His worst qualities are a really bad slow mental trigger, poor instincts and technique against the run, and even poorer feel for the game in terms of run fits and getting off blocks with urgency. He has upside, but he's the not the building block that so many people make him out to be. He was awful his rookie season except for 1.) An unbelievable string of flashes and INTs in training camp, and 2.) Preseason flash plays.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tae Davis // BJ Goodson // Mack Wilson as the first starters that step out on the field. By year's end, I have a strong feeling that Sione Takitaki, Jacob Phillips, Jermaine Grace, or Willie Harvey will get the nod over Mack unless he completely overhauls his game.  BJ Goodson probably has more staying power in terms of being a starter that can call the defense over Tae Davis who is the fuel to the Browns special teams improvement. I doubt based on mentality and game inexperience that Jacob Phillips sees the field this year.

 

----------------------------

Tae Davis' Rookie Year starting:

-------------------------

BJ Goodson 2018

 

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

 

do it. Play he and dilpit together n

Thought we were around this block before with ridiculous talk of R-1 and R-2 picks for this guy?

I like him as a player but do not want to add an expensive, disgruntled player that costs us a lot in draft equity and cap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Thought we were around this block before with ridiculous talk of R-1 and R-2 picks for this guy?

I like him as a player but do not want to add an expensive, disgruntled player that costs us a lot in draft equity and cap.

bruce, he's young and arguably the best safety in the entire league.  He's a 1st rounder + sign to mega contract guy (honestly, if we can leverage having to re-sign him  to get him straight up for our first, I believe that would be highway robbery).

If I remember correctly, the first time we went through this rumor (around the draft) ended up with many of us hoping and praying.  It just didn't happen.  Most of us (myself) just figured it was a rumor and that we'd hear about his contract in the coming months, as he is arguably their best player on the team and a leader.

Edited by NudeTayne
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

bruce, he's young and arguably the best safety in the entire league.  He's a 1st rounder + sign to mega contract guy (honestly, if we can leverage having to re-sign him  to get him straight up for our first, I believe that would be highway robbery).

If I remember correctly, the first time we went through this rumor (around the draft) ended up with many of us hoping and praying.  It just didn't happen.  Most of us (myself) just figured it was a rumor and that we'd hear about his contract in the coming months, as he is arguably their best player on the team and a leader.

Does trading for him exclude Myles, Baker, ward, or chubb from our future? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bruceb said:

Thought we were around this block before with ridiculous talk of R-1 and R-2 picks for this guy?

I like him as a player but do not want to add an expensive, disgruntled player that costs us a lot in draft equity and cap.

He’s disgruntled because the Jets won’t pay him. Basically the #1 guarantee to make any player disgruntled.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

He's going to get 15 million.

Myles is going to get 20+ next year. Baker and Denzel the following year. We don't even know how the salary cap will be, given the covid-19 pandemic. It would feel pretty Dorsey'ish to give up a 1st and 3rd + 15 million like that.

For his limited time I thought Morgan Burnett was solid - let's roll with Joseph/Sendejo and see what we have there alongside Delpit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Does trading for him exclude Myles, Baker, Ward, or Chubb from our future? 

I don't think so (though maybe Chubb, but that's positional value and really just based on whether he stays healthy/keeps looking the HOF part).

More realistically IMO, I believe it would exclude guys like Njoku and Vernon (I doubt it changes much, but even if Vernon stayed healthy and had 10 sacks this season, I could see it guaranteeing he's not here next year--comp pick time).  If Ogunjobi has a big season, it would likely mean the end of Larry as well (which is why I keep talking about signing him now if his price is temporarily low).  And unless Hunt really wants to be here and signs a 3/$18 mil extension asap, we might consider seeing what we can get for him as well, as the stuff from past off-season doesn't matter any more with the new CBA.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

We give:

2021 1st and Karl Joseph

We receive:

All Pro 24 year old S Jamal Adams, giving us 3 LSU starting DB

I'd be all over it.  I'm even wondering if we could somehow get him for our 2nd, Njoku and Joseph.  As I just opined above with Kiwi, I do indeed having to sign Adams would tighten us up with Njoku and spell the end for him (honestly it's already unlikely we re-sign him IMO, based on reading the Hooper/Bryant tea leaves, not to get ahead of ourselves with Bryant.).  I'd rather package him while we can if that's the case.  I'd also rather keep our first, but getting Adams would be a bit long-hair-don't-care for me as far as the first.

Edited by NudeTayne
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Vee-Rex said:

He's going to get 15 million.

Myles is going to get 20+ next year. Baker and Denzel the following year. We don't even know how the salary cap will be, given the covid-19 pandemic. It would feel pretty Dorsey'ish to give up a 1st and 3rd + 15 million like that.

For his limited time I thought Morgan Burnett was solid - let's roll with Joseph/Sendejo and see what we have there alongside Delpit.

Myles gets 25 baker 40 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I think both BJ Goodson and Tae Davis offer a surprisingly really good synergy on the field going back to their days starting for the Giants and that both will start this year for the Browns.

They are puzzle pieces that fit in terms of play urgency, toughness, and masking each others deficiencies.

Neither is a longterm solution in the slightest and can easily be upgraded. But for this year, they may fill in much needed gaps.

To me, rookie seasons are rookie seasons and you can't judge a player too harshly based on rookie struggles; however, the evaluations of Mack Wilson as being a future quality starter for the Browns are truly puzzling to me. There are those of us that thought Mack Wilson was a steal in the 5th Round and there are those of us (like me) that thought he went exactly where his film suggested he should go. His greatest qualities are versatility and pass coverage ability. His worst qualities are a really bad slow mental trigger, poor instincts and technique against the run, and even poorer feel for the game in terms of run fits and getting off blocks with urgency. He has upside, but he's the not the building block that so many people make him out to be. He was awful his rookie season except for 1.) An unbelievable string of flashes and INTs in training camp, and 2.) Preseason flash plays.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tae Davis // BJ Goodson // Mack Wilson as the first starters that step out on the field. By year's end, I have a strong feeling that Sione Takitaki, Jacob Phillips, Jermaine Grace, or Willie Harvey will get the nod over Mack unless he completely overhauls his game.  BJ Goodson probably has more staying power in terms of being a starter that can call the defense over Tae Davis who is the fuel to the Browns special teams improvement. I doubt based on mentality and game inexperience that Jacob Phillips sees the field this year.

 

----------------------------

Tae Davis' Rookie Year starting:

-------------------------

BJ Goodson 2018

 

Besides to laud you in being the first ff poster ever to literally bring a Madden create-a-player into the NFL physical plane--seriously, who is Tae Davis?--and mark-my-words'ing you about Mack Wilson, where ya' been?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...