2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And historically he’s better than OBJ, so what does that tell you?

He’s had about half as many PRs and most came his first few years. Obj is a MUCH more dynamic player with the ball in his hands than Landry. I’d give him some shots when we need to score. 

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He’s had about half as many PRs and most came his first few years. Obj is a MUCH more dynamic player with the ball in his hands than Landry. I’d give him some shots when we need to score. 

I get your logic, but that isn’t the reality that’s played out for their careers.

Give DPJ a shot and let the stud WR’s be stud WR’s.

• Like 1

This data is from 10 years ago, but I bet it’s still the same today. If you’re looking for more bang for your buck, don’t invest a ton of money in skill position players or guys that defend skill position players. You want your big bucks spent on offensive line, pass rushers, and a QB.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2010/7/7/1467728/which-nfl-position-groups-suffer

vfvBS.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/23/2020 at 1:21 AM, NudeTayne said:

@Mind Character, solid points.  For the record, I was just playing devil's @bruceb (redundant? o.O) as far as the Redskins.  In this day and age of melting pot'ness, the idea that such a term would be colloquially charming to the majority of folks of Native American bloodline seems pretty unlikely, whether or not there are a few folks out there who are fine with it for them.  The psychological game of (re)appropriation of such terms as the ol' n-bomb, the ol' R-bomb etc. is still bizarre to me.  You articulated the thought process well, but I just don't agree with it being effective (i.e., I don't think calling oneself a former term of hatred in any way "takes the power back", no matter how many times the idea is floated). 

It's bizarre and/or doesn't make sense likely b/c you don't belong to those groups or have many friendships or depthful interactions with people in those groups who could help you see things from the sight lines they might see things from.

Some things no matter how intellectually capable someone is just can't be grasped without 1.) Being willing to assume a person/people groups isn't just whining, playing victim, or delusional when they discuss their experiences (not saying this is your perspective but often others'), and 2.) Realizing some knowledge bases can't be understood without asking if a person with first-hand experience could describe what things are like from their eyes.

Two different examples may paint the picture better (they may not) regarding the word:

1.) Think about what a vaccine is intended to do (i.e., Take something dangerous, lethal, and harmful; weaken it then inject its weaker, controllable form into the body so the body can build up a defense and resistance to the harmful thing in such a way that when the body encounters that dangerous, lethal, and harmful thing in its true dangerous form it doesn't cause the pain, harm, or terror that it might have if the body didn't have experience with it in a controlled form before. Such is the n-word for many African Americans. Adding an "a" to the end and changing the word is a manner of weakening its violent nature and prepares psychological defense and resistance to the words true form and to those who would wield it in violence. It's not just that word though, human beings of all races and ethnicities backgrounds use words and change their forms as ways to cope with their realities, especially when such realities involve psychologically traumatic and violent physical and psychological experiences past and present. It's more about how human beings use language than anything else. That's called the social inoculation function of language.

2.) During traveling Gladiator tour days, many enslaved gladiators played games of death during their down-time away from the terrors and death they confronted in the arena and coliseum. Some of such games have been popularized in films one of which being how Gladiators would play skill and chance games with poisonous snakes and other lethal poison creatures as if they were simply playing cards in their off time. When asked why they would do such a thing, I forget the exact phrase from a historiography text that I read years ago but the gladiator explained to the inquiring child what was akin to something like, Death controlled prevents night terrors before facing uncontrollable death the next day. That is, controlling something on your own terms that characterizes violence has psychological value so one isn't constantly thinking and traumatized by the death/violence/terror swirling around them or what they may face the next day in an uncontrollable world.

Humans do a lot of things to distance themselves from the horrors and terrors of their reality; humans do various things to prepare defense and resistance from psychological and physical terrors in their reality. Language use both verbally and internally via the language use of the mind is one way of doing so. Games or dangerous leisure activities are another way. In both cases, they can be used to distance oneself from the traumas and terrors of present life. In the case of language and games, there then comes with it the aspect of fun and creative expression which is enjoyable as is the experience of mastering various language sets and playing with them as one sees fit be it coming up with in-group language/slang styles or group created games/leisure activities. Language and games also serve other functions for humans; language and games can serve multiple functions for human beings at the same time.

On 5/23/2020 at 1:21 AM, NudeTayne said:

Conversely speaking, I find it all silly and don't understand why people get so upset over words, despite any historical horrors attached to a word

From a distance, intellectualizing what seems to be another person/people group's experience of "getting upset over words" without taking into account the various blindspots involved in viewing things from a distance from the outside makes it so certain extra-personal experiences will never be fully understood.

What's missed is that for people in these groups it's not about getting upset about "words attached to past, historical horrors" as you said that would be a unsavory remnant from a dead, primordial, and ancient time but instead they are words that are a small component of a wider, colossal, and complex system that not only existed in the past but has evolved, adapted, and violently extends to do its bidding in present day life with no apparent end in sight.

It's easy for most people to grasp that such words preceded and/or threatened soon-coming violence in past eras (they still do so in present as well), but it's a lot more difficult to understand that there are new words, double-speak, and ways of referring to  certain people and/or their claimed experiences that are as terrorizing to people in those groups as they ever been.

Words are powerful. The words we tell ourselves about who we are and what we can do govern so much of who we are as human beings. When words aren't just words but describe real power dynamics and social hierarchies and social relations the words carry weight and aren't just empty language.

Edited by Mind Character

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

GIVE ME THE CLOWN

I wonder how realistically better this would make the defense.

Is it like a 2 to 3 win type of thing? Does he become the straw that stirs the drink that frees up our inside rush and outside rush or at least allow Myles to do so?

A lot of people say his game fell off in terms of disruption ability and he's lost a lot of juice, but I don't know how true or not that is.

It feels like it could be a game changer and worse case a net positive, but I just don't know.

I know the physical is holding teams up, but I wonder what the Browns would be willing to give him. Clowney isn't the leader Olivier is ... he'd also probably come with it least 2 years of money commitments and wouldn't create a compensatory pick like Olivier might at year's end.

The nerds might favor those things as Clowney given the wear and tear he's sustained due to playing the game means he isn't a real longterm solution most likely.

8 hours ago, Mind Character said:

It's bizarre and/or doesn't make sense likely b/c you don't belong to those groups or have many friendships or depthful interactions with people in those groups who could help you see things from the sight lines they might see things from.

Some things no matter how intellectually capable someone is just can't be grasped without 1.) Being willing to assume a person/people groups isn't just whining, playing victim, or delusional when they discuss their experiences (not saying this is your perspective but often others'), and 2.) Realizing some knowledge bases can't be understood without asking if a person with first-hand experience could describe what things are like from their eyes.

Two different examples may paint the picture better (they may not) regarding the word:

1.) Think about what a vaccine is intended to do (i.e., Take something dangerous, lethal, and harmful; weaken it then inject its weaker, controllable form into the body so the body can build up a defense and resistance to the harmful thing in such a way that when the body encounters that dangerous, lethal, and harmful thing in its true dangerous form it doesn't cause the pain, harm, or terror that it might have if the body didn't have experience with it in a controlled form before. Such is the n-word for many African Americans. Adding an "a" to the end and changing the word is a manner of weakening its violent nature and prepares psychological defense and resistance to the words true form and to those who would wield it in violence. It's not just that word though, human beings of all races and ethnicities backgrounds use words and change their forms as ways to cope with their realities, especially when such realities involve psychologically traumatic and violent physical and psychological experiences past and present. It's more about how human beings use language than anything else. That's called the social inoculation function of language.

2.) During traveling Gladiator tour days, many enslaved gladiators played games of death during their down-time away from the terrors and death they confronted in the arena and coliseum. Some of such games have been popularized in films one of which being how Gladiators would play skill and chance games with poisonous snakes and other lethal poison creatures as if they were simply playing cards in their off time. When asked why they would do such a thing, I forget the exact phrase from a historiography text that I read years ago but the gladiator explained to the inquiring child what was akin to something like, Death controlled prevents night terrors before facing uncontrollable death the next day. That is, controlling something on your own terms that characterizes violence has psychological value so one isn't constantly thinking and traumatized by the death/violence/terror swirling around them or what they may face the next day in an uncontrollable world.

Humans do a lot of things to distance themselves from the horrors and terrors of their reality. Language use both verbally and internally via the language use of the mind is one way of doing it. Games or dangerous leisure activities is another. In both cases, they can be used to distance oneself from the traumas and terrors of present life. In the case of language and games, there then comes with it the aspect of fun and creative expression which is enjoyable as is the experience of mastering various language sets and playing with them as one sees fit be it coming up with in-group language/slang styles or group created games/leisure activities.

From a distance, intellectualizing what seems to be another person/people group's experience of "getting upset over words" without taking into account the various blindspots involved in viewing things from a distance from the outside makes it so certain extra-personal experiences will never be fully understood.

What's missed is that for people in these groups it's not about getting upset about "words attached to past, historical horrors" as you said that would be a unsavory remnant from a dead, primordial, and ancient time but instead they are words that are a small component of a wider, colossal, and complex system that not only existed in the past but has evolved, adapted, and violently extends to do its bidding in present day life with no apparent end in sight.

It's easy for most people to grasp that such words preceded and/or threatened soon-coming violence in past eras (they still do so in present as well), but it's a lot more difficult to understand that there are new words, double-speak, and ways of referring to  certain people and/or their claimed experiences that are as terrorizing to people in those groups as they ever been.

Words are powerful. The words we tell ourselves about who we are and what we can do govern so much of who we are as human beings. When words aren't just words but describe real power dynamics and social hierarchies and social relations the words carry weight and aren't just empty language.

So what I’m taking from this is the soft A is like a vaccine/antibiotic for the hard R???

• Like 2

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

So what I’m taking from this is the soft A is like a vaccine/antibiotic for the hard R???

TL;DR.

15 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Humans do a lot of things to distance themselves from the horrors and terrors of their reality; humans do various things to prepare defense and resistance from psychological and physical terrors in their reality. Language use both verbally and internally via the language use of the mind is one way of doing so. Games or dangerous leisure activities are another way. In both cases, they can be used to distance oneself from the traumas and terrors of present life. In the case of language and games, there then comes with it the aspect of fun and creative expression which is enjoyable as is the experience of mastering various language sets and playing with them as one sees fit be it coming up with in-group language/slang styles or group created games/leisure activities. Language and games also serve other functions for humans; language and games can serve multiple functions for human beings at the same time.

Edited by Mind Character

Just my opinion, but with how football is changing in college, I think we will see philosophical changes.

College football does a bad job developing offensive linemen. I think going forward you will see more and more teams do what Dallas, Indy, and New Orleans have done. Invest your high picks in offensive linemen and defensive linemen. Even if it’s a RG, do it. They’re less likely to get injured, they play every offensive snap, and they’re not going to cripple your cap space. Plus, it’s getting easier to find really talented skill position players in later rounds.

This isn’t much of a change, but I think you should invest in pass rushers over any other position on defense. Even if you’re a shut down CB, the NFL tries like hell to make it more difficult to play. They’re also more prone to injury.

Edited by candyman93

28 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Clowney doesn’t want to be here.

Sucks.

I don’t think it’s that. I think he just had a number in mind at the start of free agency and no one hit it so he didn’t sign. If he thought he would get 20M offers and no one went over 15 then it’s not surprising he hasn’t signed. Maybe it’s a standing offer and he’s taking his time. He just wants every dime he can get. 

• Like 1