2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

55 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Just as a rule of thumb, don’t judge a guy by total interceptions. If he’s making dumbass Jameis Winston throws, that’s a problem. If it’s like young Big Ben or Brett Favre, it’s different. 

Ben and Brett tested all levels of defenses and it made their offense as a whole better. It’s why those 2 had tremendous playoff success as well.

Bakers problem is that he wants to play like them, but doesn’t have the arm strength they did. I just hope he developed a “muscle memory” from his mistakes.

I don’t even know that. Baker has a pretty good arm. An arm that could make all the throws. Big Ben especially had an HC and OC that tried to make the game as easy as possible for Big Ben in the beginning. I can’t remember Farve and his play in the beginning. Big Ben wasn’t asked to be the leader of the team right away. With the inept offensive play calling and scheme last year, Baker was forced to do a lot more than he should have done. It’s why I am liking Stef cause he isn’t going to make the game harder for him,  it actually make it easier for him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

I don’t even know that. Baker has a pretty good arm. An arm that he believes can make all the throws. Big Ben especially had an HC and OC that tried to make the game as easy as possible for Big Ben in the beginning. I can’t remember Farve and his play in the beginning. Big Ben wasn’t asked to be the leader of the team right away. With the inept offensive play calling and scheme last year, Baker was forced to do a lot more than he should have done. It’s why I am liking Stef cause he isn’t going to make the game harder for him,  it actually make it easier for him. 

fify

Therein lies the problem.

Edited by bruceb
Complete thought

32 minutes ago, bruceb said:

fify

Therein lies the problem.

I get it you hate Baker but the dude has the arm to make every throw. Now he doesnt have an arm like Mahomes, Allen, or Stafford but he has the arm to make the throws

Edited by buno67

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I get it you hate Baker but the dude has the arm to make every throw. Now he doesnt have an arm like Mahomes, Allen, or Stafford but he has the arm to make the throws

We simply are going to have to disagree.

I think his belief that he does is what leads to so many incomplete long throws and INTs.

Gunslinging, if you will.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

We simply are going to have to disagree.

I think his belief that he does is what leads to so many incomplete long throws and INTs.

Gunslinging, if you will.

well last year he was #13 on deep ball competitions %. Rookie year he was #9 on deep ball competitions %

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/baker-mayfield/#!#current-year

So he cant be that bad as you say especially last year when he had crap schemes and crap protection

25 minutes ago, buno67 said:

well last year he was #13 on deep ball competitions %. Rookie year he was #9 on deep ball competitions %

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/baker-mayfield/#!#current-year

So he cant be that bad as you say especially last year when he had crap schemes and crap protection

You might want to take a deeper look at the stats you linked.

I do not believe that they support your position.

4 minutes ago, bruceb said:

You might want to take a deeper look at the stats you linked.

I do not believe that they support your position.

We were talking about just deep balls/deep passes? Wasn’t talking about anything else? Was I talking about any other aspect of his game last year? Nope

you basically said he had been garbage with longer throws when he hasn’t. Just linking to where I got my stats from

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Bruce, you’re right if you don’t think Baker has a upper echelon cannon. I’d say he’s in the Carson Wentz territory of 10-15. He should never try to make throws that Patrick Mahommes and Josh Allen do.

Yeah, I think that, coupled with his off-platform throws (especially downfield, sometimes into very tight windows) are frustrating. I think that Baker has a rock solid and very good arm, but he's not Mahomes, Allen, or prime Rodgers/Favre/Cutler either.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with that. Neither was/is Tom Brady.

Baker needs to excel on the 1-10 yard throws, comebacks 12-15 yards on the outside of the numbers, and be able to hit TE on intermediate routes in the seams/inside dig routes at 10-12. He doesn't need to make "hero ball" throws.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Baker needs to excel on the 1-10 yard throws, comebacks 12-15 yards on the outside of the numbers, and be able to hit TE on intermediate routes in the seams/inside dig routes at 10-12. He doesn't need to make "hero ball" throws.

I feel like those were a lot of the passes he was hitting in ‘18 and a lot of type plays Freddie was calling. It’s just freddie scraped that and completely changed the offense in ‘19.  He took way too many chances on calling those big plays. In ‘18 Freddie was very good at calling when to take the deep shot. Like you mentioned about the off platform throw. I think he hit two for touchdowns, once vs falcons and Panthers That I remember. I also Freddie wasn’t calling for the big plays Nearly as much in ‘18 as ‘19

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I feel like those were a lot of the passes he was hitting in ‘18 and a lot of type plays Freddie was calling. It’s just freddie scraped that and completely changed the offense in ‘19.  He took way too many chances on calling those big plays. In ‘18 Freddie was very good at calling when to take the deep shot. Like you mentioned about the off platform throw. I think he hit two for touchdowns, once vs falcons and Panthers That I remember. I also Freddie wasn’t calling for the big plays Nearly as much in ‘18 as ‘19

They went away from a lot of their deep/downfield playaction passing attack and tried to go to more of a trendy RPO style of playbook on early downs. Baker isn't able to do those presnap reads/whole field reads and that's not how this team is/was built.

Regardless of what system we run, I'm sure that we see a much improved Baker. That said, if he can't get more comfortable IN the pocket and navigate pressure, step up, sidestep, etc. that he inevitably will face (blitz, missed assignments, etc.) instead of trying to scramble out to his right and throw the ball downfield, he will be a limited QB going forward. To me, that's his biggest "next step". Can he navigate the pocket, keep his eyes downfield, and limit turnovers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

@Dawgpoun8017 who is this monster Andre Cisco? Holy crap he looks like a top 5 pick. Don’t know how well he will test.

I love Cisco, he is a guy who goes and get the ball, if we didn’t have Delpit I’d be all over his bandwagon. I believe he is e current active career leader in INT’s in the NCAA, came into the scene hard as a freshman was an All American and led the nation in picks.  I’m not sure how we got him to come to Syracuse, I think he was a 3* prospect but came out of the football factory that is IMG Academy