Bears Fans

dll2000

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Put any QB on Bears last week and you MIGHT have scored another 7-10 pts.

The Oline play was the biggest issue.  

MT got rid of ball faster than any QB AND was hit the most of any QB.

That is worst possible combo.

Maybe. I didn't watch the thing again. But remember what you said about practice, repetition? No game time practices for pros equals an unprepared team. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Maybe. I didn't watch the thing again. But remember what you said about practice, repetition? No game time practices for pros equals an unprepared team. 

That would be my argument as well.

Nagy may be learning that there's a fine line between protecting your starters and having them game ready for an opener.  At least I hope he's learning that.

I've played in bands with musicians who were aces during a causal rehearsal then fell apart when it came to a gig because they were too used to getting "do overs" in rehearsals 'til they nailed it.  You don't get any "do overs" during a live performance and under that pressure they cracked.

One method of keeping our chops up and our timing is to play jam sessions.  Those are the musical equivalent of an NFL preseason game.  It's full contact performing with several other players with whom you must coordinate your playing.  Kinda like an OL and QB need to do during the NFL preseason.

We've seen the Bears and others come off a single bye week and stink the joint up.  Well in this case it was a 4 week long bye week and true to form we came out and stunk the place up.  If a lack of game level prep wasn't at least one reason for that I'd be more than happy to hear the other theories.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Here is the piece. I really like the author 

That was very informative, thank you for posting it.

I went into it skeptical, almost looking for an agenda.  And I didn't find one.  Found a couple of "huh" moments, though.

What I did find is a technique that may have been ahead of the curve for a while, but one that has now become more or less a norm.

I mean, he's talking about a 2017 season.  Mid-season.

One of the cuts up concerning the 'hug" and Lane Taylor's lack of success was on a screen pass to Lane Taylor's side.  Not really a good play to diagram how the "hug" failed.

But...overall....I could see what he was getting at.

Had to laugh, though, when the example against the "hug" is a guy named Kendall Lamb, an undrafted free agent.  I wouldn't expect him to have the the ability of Bulaga.  I expect to see cut ups of him failing against a good edge rusher.

And...Campen is gone now.  I don't know if it is still being taught.  And Chicago got plenty of pressure on Rodgers from all over the place.

Interestingly enough, the piece ended by talking about how Minnesota has adapted to the "hug" and that is our opponent this week.

I'll be looking for that technique now.

• Like 1

No doubt Belaga seems to have mastered it along with enough holding, albeit short in duration, to succeed more often than not.  IMHO savvy vets learn tricks that allow them to succeed at higher levels than their raw talent might otherwise permit.

Personally I have no problem with the technique as long as it's officiated evenly and consistently.  The NFL is not incorrect in trying to protect QBs since with few exceptions losing a starter pretty much ends any hope of playoff contention for most teams.