Bears Fans

dll2000

4 hours ago, soulman said:

I wouldn't go that far especially since Mitch Trubisky actually does have some football sense KW never had.

I think what we're all upset about is that Nagy and his staff over promoted Mitch to us all summer long and they weren't alone.

We saw others who wrote about him being in contention for an MVP Award and those were in stark contrast to others who wrote about all of the picks he was throwing during camp.  Still others excused this by claiming it was because he was up against the best D in the NFL and that was plausible enough for us to accept.

Nagy also claimed they were testing Mitch to see what he could handle and then would eventually boil that down into what he felt most comfortable with and was most effective with. What we're seeing now is a failure for any of that to have worked once the real games began. Bad Mitch came out again and stayed all night.

Dan Wiederer did a nice write up about it which I posted in another thread.  It's worth reading because he summarizes what many of the rest of us have which is simply Mitch is nowhere near as far along in his progress as we've been led to believe by Nagy and Co.  In that respect I'll agree with you.  We've had a lot of smoked blown up our collective *****.

But the real question is where do they go from here?

IMO Pace needs to be looking for a new QB, either a vet or through the draft. The talent on this team can not be wasted with the hope that Mitch someday improves. IMO it is not going to happen and Pace should be looking to bring someone in now.

• Like 1

I didn't mean for my OP to come off like a preachy ahole.  I just was on doom and gloom overload.

I realize game was bad (on one side of ball), but geez over react much.  

Now that it has been several days I can say my two biggest take aways were:

1) Our Oline blew way too many assignments. 

2) Mack was held on nearly every play.  If he wasn't Green Bay gets shut out.  

Let me tell you something.

Do this experiment:  Go volunteer coach a middle school team.  Take all the best skill players and best QB.   Now have the Oline blow every other play and you will still do absolutely nothing offensively.   I don't care what plays you call.  I don't care how well drawn up they are.   Absolutely nothing will work.  I have seen it happen 100s of times.  

You can scream at your QB all you want in that circumstance.  You freakin get out there and try it buddy.  It isn't easy.  

You want to know why I don't coach anymore?  Because I insisted on putting some of my best athletes on O line every year.  You want to see a parent of a good athlete lose his bloody mind? Put his kid on the Oline in little league football.  And you know what?; as long as I did that we came in first or second almost every year in a very competitive league.  

But I just couldn't go through the arguments every year and they got worse and worse progressively. 

To this day I am only coach in history of my org. to ever (help - it was group effort) win a championship at highest level of our league or have multiple championships.  Many still wanted to run me out on a rail for making parents unhappy.  

I digress,  point isn't to brag on myself.  Point is Oline play matters A LOT at all levels of football.  Point is average fans don't see that.  

Point is our Oline and Oline coach blew that game more than Nagy and Mitch though they share a lot of  blame. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I didn't mean for my OP to come off like a preachy ahole.  I just was on doom and gloom overload.

I realize game was bad (on one side of ball), but geez over react much.  

Now that it has been several days I can say my two biggest take aways were:

1) Our Oline blew way too many assignments. 

2) Mack was held on nearly every play.  If he wasn't Green Bay gets shut out.  

Let me tell you something.

Do this experiment:  Go volunteer coach a middle school team.  Take all the best skill players and best QB.   Now have the Oline blow every other play and you will still do absolutely nothing offensively.   I don't care what plays you call.  I don't care how well drawn up they are.   Absolutely nothing will work.  I have seen it happen 100s of times.  

You can scream at your QB all you want in that circumstance.  You freakin get out there and try it buddy.  It isn't easy.  

You want to know why I don't coach anymore?  Because I insisted on putting some of my best athletes on O line every year.  You want to see a parent of a good athlete lose his bloody mind? Put his kid on the Oline in little league football.  And you know what?; as long as I did that we came in first or second almost every year in a very competitive league.  

But I just couldn't go through the arguments every year and they got worse and worse progressively. 

To this day I am only coach in history of my org. to ever (help - it was group effort) win a championship at highest level of our league or have multiple championships.  Many still wanted to run me out on a rail for making parents unhappy.  

I digress,  point isn't to brag on myself.  Point is Oline play matters A LOT at all levels of football.  Point is average fans don't see that.  

Point is our Oline and Oline coach blew that game more than Nagy and Mitch though they share a lot of  blame. 

Agree, we need a new Oline and head coach too... :)

To continue: 

My best coaching years weren't when I was head coach.  It was when I was Oline coach.

You know what we did every practice 1) Fundamentals and 2) how to block every conceivable scenario over and over and over.

2) Was boring AF.  Kids hated it. Parents hated it.  I got sooo many complaints. But you know what didn't happen in games? Missed assignments.  You know whose offense scored a sh*t ton of points? Ours.  

Football s like a play.  You have to sing the same freaking 5 min song and dance the same 5 min dance 10k times to do it 5 mins on a stage.  

Yeah it sucks and is repetitive, but that's what you have to do if you want to be good. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dafreak said:

IMO Pace needs to be looking for a new QB, either a vet or through the draft. The talent on this team can not be wasted with the hope that Mitch someday improves. IMO it is not going to happen and Pace should be looking to bring someone in now.

Where do you want him to go? The QB Tree in Vernon Hills and pluck one off?

• Like 2

Put any QB on Bears last week and you MIGHT have scored another 7-10 pts.

The Oline play was the biggest issue.  

MT got rid of ball faster than any QB AND was hit the most of any QB.

That is worst possible combo.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

But I agree, they need to get a 6th round pick and get the next Tom Brady ASAP

Joking aside, I really do think that when Pace said "acquire a QB every year" it made a lot of sense.  When the expectation was that Nagy was going to have an innovative offensive scheme and could develop a QB it seemed like it would be worth spending capital either on draft picks or someone else's failed project QB

Edited by RunningVaccs
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

But I agree, they need to get a 6th round pick and get the next Tom Brady ASAP

Joking aside, I really do think that when Pace said "acquire a QB every year" it made a lot of sense.  When the expectation was that Nagy was going to have an innovative offensive scheme and could develop a QB it seemed like it would be worth spending capital either on draft picks or someone else's failed project QB

Loller

Yes.  Pace/Nagy needs athletes that slip through the cracks to develop over time.  Daniel isn't doing anything for future.  

But geez a QB project is 3 - 4 years away.  Our winning window will likely be closed then.   We need MT and O line to be better, not a pipe dream mythical savior QB that appears on the team.  That's just reality.  

Pace isn't going to do that mea culpa unless its absolutely necessary because either way it likely means his job and reputation.   I have no idea how AZ GM survived.  

It's MT or bust unless somehow Luck decides to play for Bears which would make him the most hated person in history of Indy.  Luck is probably drinking wine in Paris with his wife though right now.   Who else would you want?  

Nick Mullens? Mason Rudolph maybe?  They still have to learn the offense which apparently isn't easy to learn.  

I'll say it again.  MT is capable of making the throws and he is a good athlete and he works hard.  This CAN be turned around.  He is not a lost cause like a lot of guys.  

Will it?  Will he?  I don't know.  If he doesn't break mentally under the pressure it is much more likely.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soulman said:

If we don't put down the loaded guns or cap the vials of cyanide back up it's gonna be a very looooonnnnng season.

I think it is key that we accurately place blame.

I am here to admit the OL was way worse than I thought. I would actually blame them more than 10 after watching all the plays again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dafreak said:

Now that part makes the most sense to me but it's not likely to happen this year.

2020 will be Mitch's 3rd season in this offense and he should no longer need a schoolmarm #2 like Chase Daniels.  We could use a vet with talent enough to put pressure on Mitch and/or send him to the bench if he can't get the job done.  If we can't do it with one superior QB then maybe we need to do it with two average QBs.  It's not like that's never happened before.

But.....right now we still don't know what we've in Trubisky.  He's alternated between top tier and bottom tier games so often it's tough to know.  That's why I've said we need to go through another entire season with him in order to figure him out.  Then Pace makes a move.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think it is key that we accurately place blame.

I am here to admit the OL was way worse than I thought. I would actually blame them more than 10 after watching all the plays again.

And I believe many have.  Basically the failure of the offense involved most everyone from the OL through Mitch all the way to Nagy.

But in the process of being accurate it's also important to understand how each failed in order to know what to do about it.  That's on all of them.  Even if we're 100% correct in our analysis what good would that do?  They aren't asking us for our opinions.

• Like 1