Raiders officially release Antonio Brown; so do the Pats (LOL)

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think Carr's expectations will be lowered a little bit and he will get another year.  Especially at the rate QBs are getting pay increases.  I also think Carr will look better this year and I was one of the first posters here calling for him to be cut.  Statistically he might not be much better but I think he will run the offense the way it is suppose to be run.  I really like what I have heard from Carr and Gruden about running more often wen the opportunity presents itself.  It keeps forward momentum and slows down the pass rush.

If we win 4-5 games and Carr plays meh, he's gone. This is a make or break year for him. If he doesn't look like a franchise QB this year then we'll draft someone to replace him heading into a new market. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

If we win 4-5 games and Carr plays meh, he's gone. This is a make or break year for him. If he doesn't look like a franchise QB this year then we'll draft someone to replace him heading into a new market. 

I agree but I think the wins play less into the equation now.  I think it comes down to how well the offense looks only.  He is only making $21.5 million on average over the next 4 years. Realitive to other QBs he is cheap if he becomes an above average starter.

• Like 1

I feel bad for saying this but how funny would it be if Brady is put on IR and Brown has to play with Jarrett Stidham.  That would be karma.  Speaking of karma.  Hill was carted off the field with an arm injury.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree but I think the wins play less into the equation now.  I think it comes down to how well the offense looks only.  He is only making $21.5 million on average over the next 4 years. Realitive to other QBs he is cheap if he becomes an above average starter.

And a rookie QB would be making like $8M on average over the next four years.

Just now, NYRaider said:

And a rookie QB would be making like $8M on average over the next four years.

True but would you want a rookie trying to implement Gruden's offense on the fly.  He would have to sit behind a vet for at least 2 years.  $16 million for a back up and $20-30 for a placeholder who would struggle at least the first year.  Unless we are looking at  Trevor Lawrence I say hold onto Carr and develop behind him.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

This is 100% on Gruden. Do you think that Mayock wanted to give up draft assets for AB? Hell no. Gruden thought he could get this guy on the right path and for the second year in a row has given up draft picks for a player that will have zero impact here. 

You can blame Gruden for bringing him here, but I blame Mayock for screwing it up. Get on the same page as your coach and players.  Don't wait to take a hard stance right before the season starts and play right into what AB wanted.

I'm not a fan of revisionist history.  Once the decision was made to trade for him, you go all in.  

All we can do now is move forward. I'll let this be my last comment on it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I can't lie, watching Hollywood Brown definitely makes me think about scenarios where we would have drafted him and not gotten AB.

Hollywood was my favorite player in the draft this year, he's Hill 2.0. Unfortunately, he seems like he'll be AB 2.0 after he gets paid. 

11 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

The thought of having Bell and Hollywood Brown instead of making a move for AB is sickening.

And it was a realistic scenario. Vic said that we pursued Bell harder than most people realize and we would've had the cap space to sign him had we not traded for AB. And then that obviously would've freed up that 24th pick for Hollywood, who was taken one pick later by the Ravens. 

3 minutes ago, true2form said:

You can blame Gruden for bringing him here, but I blame Mayock for screwing it up. Get on the same page as your coach and players.  Don't wait to take a hard stance right before the season starts and play right into what AB wanted.

You're right. He should've just let AB call him a cracker and smack him upside the head. God forbid the GM wants to punish a player who skips practice, posts private calls on YouTube, and threatens to beat him up. He should've just bowed down to AB and let him take the reigns of the organization. Hell, we probably should've allowed AB to become the first GM/Player/Coach in NFL history.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, true2form said:

I'm not a fan of revisionist history.  Once the decision was made to trade for him, you go all in.  

All we can do now is move forward. I'll let this be my last comment on it.

Mayock didn't screw this up in any way along the way, other than not playing brutal hardball with Brown. It's utterly clear Brown orchestrated all of this. Not one problem this offseason was any more than a figment of Brown's machination. Problems completely made up to work his way off this team. Anyone who believes otherwise is, sadly and undoubtedly, a sheeple. Don't be so naive to think that dirty lying cheating money games go on in the pros, just like they do throughout college and all other sports. It's so naive.

There's a risk in playing brutal hardball with the guy. If you send him the 5 day letter early, fine him the max, take away the guaranteed money, then if he doesnt show up you mothball his season - the risk is that he shows up. Plays, then tears the team up from the inside while on the roster. Raiders were put in a terrible position ultimately enabled by the fact that they are an idiot unstable disorganized and unprofessional organization in the first place. Oakland literally got burned once on a trade for the same position from the same team (WR Pitt). Fool me once... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holyghost said:

Mayock didn't screw this up in any way along the way, other than not playing brutal hardball with Brown. It's utterly clear Brown orchestrated all of this. Not one problem this offseason was any more than a figment of Brown's machination. Problems completely made up to work his way off this team. Anyone who believes otherwise is, sadly and undoubtedly, a sheeple. Don't be so naive to think that dirty lying cheating money games go on in the pros, just like they do throughout college and all other sports. It's so naive.

There's a risk in playing brutal hardball with the guy. If you send him the 5 day letter early, fine him the max, take away the guaranteed money, then if he doesnt show up you mothball his season - the risk is that he shows up. Plays, then tears the team up from the inside while on the roster. Raiders were put in a terrible position ultimately enabled by the fact that they are an idiot unstable disorganized and unprofessional organization in the first place. Oakland literally got burned once on a trade for the same position from the same team (WR Pitt). Fool me once... 

How soon could we have traded him.  Send him the letter, he shows up, suspend him to get rid of the guarantees, put him on the block (BB was willing to give a first to Pitt), and bench him until someone wants to pay.  If nobody does let him sit until the trade deadline and he has to go on waivers when we let him go.  No way he makes it thru to the Patriots and hopefully a crappy team grabs him.  I am not 100% sure we are allowed to do all of it but he does not get what he wants if we can and it would be worth the money to see him cry about it.