FA 2020

drfrey13

I’m all for being disciplined, but, right now our defense has so many holes, without any real game changers, if that means spending a little more to get it done I’d do it. 

not pressing, just stating how I would go about things...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Agree in part that we definitely need the depth, but money talks and though we’ve probably been viewed as a mess before I don’t think that is that huge a consideration in a lot of players minds, maybe guys chasing a ring but agents have a lot of sway and the larger the cut the more persuasive they can be.

This is where I disagree. 

Winning has a lot to do with where players want to be as no one likes to be on a roster that is losing consistently as the Raiders have done over the last 20 years. Being on a winning team that is littered with talent only makes that potential player who will sign more valuable.  It is hard for most players to be a shining star on a terrible team but when they are surrounded by other talent they can play freely knowing they are not the focal point of the opposing coordinator.  Very few players can shine on terrible teams like Barry Sanders, AP, Megatron have.  Those are special talents that are hard to find.

Jones signing with the Phins was a pure money grab and I would venture to say his play will decline now that he has no pass rush or surrounding talent.  He could care less bc he just backed in the Brinks truck and for some players that is the most important thing.  I don't blame them because we all know football is a business first.  

11 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Longer this goes on the better it is for us in regards to a possible Littleton signing right?

any noise on Schobert?

Cant see us looking at Schobert now as we view Kwiatkowski as a MLB I believe, we still could go after a guy like Littleton for SLB though, though that will be strange having an OLB making 50% more possibly than the MLB in FA. I think they look for the SLB in the draft and will go after a CB and depth at LB in FA.

6 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Agreed. I think overpay thing is over blown cause all the years of Al. If you paying a fee dollars over market value for the RIGHT players. It isnt gonna kill your team, especially with drafting right and coaching right. 

By overpaying for players you sacrifice depth.  Joyner last season was supposed to be a great signing as he was versatile and had been an outstanding player on a roster littered with talent.  He comes here and we have zero pass rush, he has to run around with WR's for 10 seconds, got torched and people want to blame him.  The reason he looked bad was because we are asking him to things that not many players can do and that has to do with our roster being so depleted of talent especially in the pass rushing department.

He didn't just forget how to play football in one offseason...  My point is that if you overpay for players without the proper surrounding talent and depth they will most likely disappoint like Joyner did last year.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Why on earth would Brady leave NE and go to a roster that has far less talent, trash WR's, zero defense and hasn't won a playoff game in 20 years?  It literally makes zero sense and a 43 year old Brady doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would go to a team with so many questions and is in full rebuild mode. 

7 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

This is where I disagree. 

Winning has a lot to do with where players want to be as no one likes to be on a roster that is losing consistently as the Raiders have done over the last 20 years. Being on a winning team that is littered with talent only makes that potential player who will sign more valuable.  It is hard for most players to be a shining star on a terrible team but when they are surrounded by other talent they can play freely knowing they are not the focal point of the opposing coordinator.  Very few players can shine on terrible teams like Barry Sanders, AP, Megatron have.  Those are special talents that are hard to find.

Jones signing with the Phins was a pure money grab and I would venture to say his play will decline now that he has no pass rush or surrounding talent.  He could care less bc he just backed in the Brinks truck and for some players that is the most important thing.  I don't blame them because we all know football is a business first.  

Oh, I agree that some players value the environment and a winning culture no doubt but time and again we've seen guys go to losing teams because of the money. I also agree that they tend to fade or not live up to the deals but money does talk as we've seen with the Dolphins and Browns and we'll continue to see. I also think we're seen as an upcoming team right now, how accurate that is I don't know but I think we're quite a desirable place to play when compared to the likes of Washington, Cleveland, Jacksonville and so on... 

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Oh, I agree that some players value the environment and a winning culture no doubt but time and again we've seen guys go to losing teams because of the money. I also agree that they tend to fade or not live up to the deals but money does talk as we've seen with the Dolphins and Browns and we'll continue to see. I also think we're seen as an upcoming team right now, how accurate that is I don't know but I think we're quite a desirable place to play when compared to the likes of Washington, Cleveland, Jacksonville and so on... 

I disagree that we are viewed as an up and coming team.  I am not sure what you are basing that on but it certainly isn't talent.  

What I do agree with is that there are larger dumpster fires that what we have going on right now.  Thanks Washington B|

6 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Why on earth would Brady leave NE and go to a roster that has far less talent, trash WR's, zero defense and hasn't won a playoff game in 20 years?  It literally makes zero sense and a 43 year old Brady doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would go to a team with so many questions and is in full rebuild mode. 

Brady doesn’t have a lot to choose from. From the known suitors, LAC is his best bet.

6 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

calling our WRs trash is a little over the top

Our WR group is 1 high end WR away from being very good. 

TW as a number 1 is a stretch, but he is a very high end #2
HR as a number 2 was a stretch last year, but will be a very high end #3

If we get Juedy/Ceedee,.. our WR core will be very very good. 

8 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

calling our WRs trash is a little over the top

Our WR group is 1 high end WR away from being very good. 

TW as a number 1 is a stretch, but he is a very high end #2
HR as a number 2 was a stretch last year, but will be a very high end #3

If we get Juedy/Ceedee,.. our WR core will be very very good. 

Come on man.  Williams is an average #2 who has problems with drops (he has averaged 45 YPG and .3 Td's a game) those are hardly "high end #2 WR" stats, Renfrow played well in the slot but was a rookie and far from a proven commodity.  

Zay Jones, Gafford, Ateman, Doss and Harris LOL flat out trash....  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I feel like the Colts would be his best bet. Good offensive minded coach, elite oline, rising D, tons of cap to add more weapons, etc.

I don't know why Miami isn't mentioned more. Pats fans would go crazy and that'd be worth it.