FA 2020

drfrey13

5 hours ago, Dessie said:

Probably waiting for Nassib to pass the physical then we will release someone. No point releasing anyone until we know Nassib is definitely on board. 

But the twist to that plot is UNLESS Nassib got a signing bonus (and not our standard contract formula) then he wouldn’t fit Uber the cap, as it currently stands.

22 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

But the twist to that plot is UNLESS Nassib got a signing bonus (and not our standard contract formula) then he wouldn’t fit Uber the cap, as it currently stands.

Obviously if we can sign Nassib and not have to release anyone then that’s what we will do.

4 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Obviously if we can sign Nassib and not have to release anyone then that’s what we will do.

Yes that’s the obvious move.  But what I find interesting is we’re just under 3M over the cap (including draft picks and Nassib at a guesstimated 7.5M cap hit.  
But Nassib was signed on day 2 of FA so we should have figured his cap hit into our spending on the later players.  
So it’s possible we agreed with Nassib,,, agreed with more players before Anything became official, and realized we’d need to restructure a deal or change Nassibs deal to fit Apple, etc in.  And now we’re making things squeeze in the cap before his deal can be filed.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:10 AM, Darbsk said:

Kind of relieved Harris turned us down if we were intending to play him outside, great slot corner but to play Joyner in the slot and Harris outside would have been incompetent IMO.     

We should've signed Harris to play in the slot and moved Joyner to FS. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We should've signed Harris to play in the slot and moved Joyner to FS. 

That would have been the obvious move, especially with letting Joseph go. I'm a little confused with what they are trying to do to be honest, I can understand them going after Byron Jones hard as he's an outside corner but Harris doesn't profile there at all especially this late in his career and we haven't gone after any other obvious slot CBs like Dennard or Poole. 

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yes that’s the obvious move.  But what I find interesting is we’re just under 3M over the cap (including draft picks and Nassib at a guesstimated 7.5M cap hit.  
But Nassib was signed on day 2 of FA so we should have figured his cap hit into our spending on the later players.  
So it’s possible we agreed with Nassib,,, agreed with more players before Anything became official, and realized we’d need to restructure a deal or change Nassibs deal to fit Apple, etc in.  And now we’re making things squeeze in the cap before his deal can be filed.

It is also possible that we have only announced those who we have been able to do physicals on and that we don’t have to release anyone until Nassib is official. 

46 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

That would have been the obvious move, especially with letting Joseph go. I'm a little confused with what they are trying to do to be honest, I can understand them going after Byron Jones hard as he's an outside corner but Harris doesn't profile there at all especially this late in his career and we haven't gone after any other obvious slot CBs like Dennard or Poole. 

I would have liked CHJ in the slot and potentially Joyner at FS. Agreed that this doesn't make a ton of sense...

41 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

For those worried about Nassib and others:

Thanks ... so either Nassib got a Signing Bonus or another transaction (restructure, cut, trade) Is soon to happen.

only way it doesn’t happen asap if we just wait til after draft and do it then , before signing picks

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Thanks ... so either Nassib got a Signing Bonus or another transaction (restructure, cut, trade) Is soon to happen.

only way it doesn’t happen asap if we just wait til after draft and do it then , before signing picks

Collins and Apple aren't official yet. If there's a move to make to clear cap space, it'll happen when those 2 are official.

10 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Collins and Apple aren't official yet. If there's a move to make to clear cap space, it'll happen when those 2 are official.

I didn’t realize they weren’t official.  Yeah your right they are cap clearing has to happen before those are official.

For questions on how we'll be able to clear cap space for the draft class. I think the Raiders would rather not have to convert salary into SB since it can create dead money later and their 1st option is to move Gabe. I don't know if they'd straight cut him if they can't get a trade. I don't see anything happening until day 2/3 of the draft.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

For questions on how we'll be able to clear cap space for the draft class. I think the Raiders would rather not have to convert salary into SB since it can create dead money later and their 1st option is to move Gabe. I don't know if they'd straight cut him if they can't get a trade. I don't see anything happening until day 2/3 of the draft.

Nice link!  Yeah I knew teams had the right to convert salary to SB unless a clause in contract for bid it.  It’s nice to get a chunk of cash early but the downside is it affects your long term job stability, since your cap hit in future years goes up... and with June 1st cuts its spreads Out the dead cap 50/50 the year your cut and the year after.

joel curry is a great salary cap reference guy, btw

Edited by jimkelly02