FA 2020

drfrey13

Minnesota apparently as The rumor goes (which has no validity) wouldn’t take a 1st for Diggs.  Even next year I think they want way more than a 3rd for Diggs. 

I think we should offer Tennessee a third for Corey Davis and a late round pick.  AJ Brown makes Davis expandable and they just don’t use him enough, but he’s been solid but also not #5 material.  He’s got a cap hit of 8+ million and would only cost us 4+mil.  We’d have him for the 5th year option if he plays well.  But we’d have to commit to that nearly right after the trade.  If he’s a dude we Cut him with zero cap hit, unless he gets hurt which at that point we’re screwed.

7 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Joyner was not a horrible signing he’s basically the field general of the secondary.

You really think Joyner is worth $11 million a year to be the field general of that secondary?  You do realize that his play has been spotty at best and the secondary that he commands is pretty awful.  They have had a lot of injuries but he has had trouble taking care of his own responsibilities.  He is the 22nd highest paid secondary player in the league and if we had not already paid him $8 million of his $13 million for next year, ranked 18th, he would probably be our first cut this off-season.  He has not been a good player for a little while now.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

You really think Joyner is worth $11 million a year to be the field general of that secondary?  You do realize that his play has been spotty at best and the secondary that he commands is pretty awful.  They have had a lot of injuries but he has had trouble taking care of his own responsibilities.  He is the 22nd highest paid secondary player in the league and if we had not already paid him $8 million of his $13 million for next year, ranked 18th, he would probably be our first cut this off-season.  He has not been a good player for a little while now.

Do you remember when blown coverages were the norm?

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Your spot on about Joyner. I wish that bonus wasn’t in the contract so we’d just cut him.  

however, despite his pretty poor play this year I think he could be a productive player on a better defense.  

maybe move him back to FS?

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Your spot on about Joyner. I wish that bonus wasn’t in the contract so we’d just cut him.  

however, despite his pretty poor play this year I think he could be a productive player on a better defense.  

maybe move him back to FS?

I have a lot of Rams fans at my work and they all laughed when they heard how much we paid him.  They said the last time he was good was at safety.

54 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Maybe we should use him as a single high deep safety (FS)?

I do not know how to fix our secondary beyond getting healthy.  I did always think Joseph would be good in the role Joyner has been playing this year so maybe switching the two would help.  I would also like to see how we look having Joseph and Abram together.  I really liked what I saw week 1 but that is not enough to go off of.

Before the Kwiatkowski train starts let’s remember he’s a 4th year player who is starting (and albeit playing pretty darn good) because of an injury to R.Smith.  This preseason there were many Bears fans calling for his release.  Often a player will shine in short spurts because they have a good degree of talent that begins to shine but also because a good Defensive Coordinator knows their limitations and schemes around.This is in a way is why a lot of free agent signings flop.  Some players are protected within the scheme and at their new team they are not, as they are now expected to be the playmakers.  The Bears defense, even with injuries, has enough talent around Kwiatkowski to limit his flaws.

The guy is not very good covering TE’s.  He’s simply a solid run stopper with good pass rushing skills.  He’s a guy on the rise but a solid starter at best.  I’d much rather take my chances drafting Evan Weaver(I’m not promoting him by any means, he’s got serious man coverage [he’s very good in zone coverage] Issues and concerns) In the 5th round.  

Moving on..... are you guys more in favor of making 1 big signing (Chris Jones, Arik Armstead, etc) ... guys who will get 14-20 mil per year (and yes I’m aware most likely Chris Jones gets tagged) or 2-3 mid level signings... guys who will get (6-12 mil per year)?

who are some of the guys you think we need to sign?  Are there any players who are likely to be cut we should go after?

On that note, I believe but could be wrong, that if the new CBA isn’t signed then teams can’t space out the cap hit of the old June 1st cuts (I.E splitting the dead cap over this year and next).  That could mean teams cut players early in Free Agency and the more high priced “roster bubble” players get released. 

Upon looking at our roster and cap situation in 2020-2022 we don’t have many  guys who will be highly priced and not too many guys in the same year.

2021:  Hankins, Whitehead (likely cut this offseason), Marquel Lee, Erik Harris, Carrier, Zay Jones, Kizer

2022: PJ Hall, Hurst, Brandon Parker, Arden Key, Kolton Miller (5th year option)

2023: everyone of any value to the team.

This means we could spend a good amount of money this year in FA, then not spend a lot of money in 2022 and carry money over in ‘23 to resign guys or even sign guys to extensions early in ‘22.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Cory Littleton and Anthony Harris. If cut, Everson Griffen.

I’d love Littleton for a reasonable price.  I really really like Harris, dating back to Virginia, but he’s a pure SS and if we spend good money on a S I feel like it needs to be ball hawking FS with elite range and coverage skills... ie Malik Hooker type player.

Griffen is a top my “Potential Release” list. Any FAs we put good money into have to have 2-3 years in the tank though because I think we can be a playoff team in 2020 and if all goes well a contender in 2021.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

Gonna be interesting in seeing what the Raiders do with Gabe Jackson and Tyrell Williams. Two guys that did not play up to their big salary. Seems like Tyrell was never the same after the foot injury. Would be dumb to release him after one season and make your WR core even more weaker. Especially with a weak WR FA market. March 20 is a key date for him. If he's on the roster on March 20th his 2020 salary is fully guaranteed. Would expect both to stay, but never know with Gruden.

Have to almost feel like it would be an upset it Joyner is still on the team next year. Raiders have a projected 70 million in cap space I'm almost positive that doesn't include the 10 million increase that we will see. Cut Joyner and Whitehead. That's 90 before the cap increase and if they get rid of Carr it would push it above 100 million in cap space.

This Raiders team should be very active in FA especially on the defensive side of the ball. A lot of cap space. New stadium, state of the art locker room and training facilities, the attraction of playing in Vegas and no state taxes. 

Littleton and Armstead if the Niners don't tag him would be 1a and 1b on my list. Got to fix the middle of the defense. Justin Simmons would be third on my list. 

Edited by agarcia34

The Browns are willing to let LB Joe Schobert leave in free agency, having made little effort to extend his contract, Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com reports.

“I let my agent handle all this kind of stuff, but my understanding is we haven’t gotten any offers so can’t really build on it from there,’’ Schobert told Cabot last week.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 3:02 PM, jimkelly02 said:

The guy is not very good covering TE’s.  He’s simply a solid run stopper with good pass rushing skills.  He’s a guy on the rise but a solid starter at best.  I’d much rather take my chances drafting Evan Weaver(I’m not promoting him by any means, he’s got serious man coverage [he’s very good in zone coverage] Issues and concerns) In the 5th round.

Great post. I wouldn't spend on Kwiatkowski. He's more of the same for the Raiders. Just a guy who can play the run but will struggle in coverage. He's made plays on a talent unit, but buyer beware trying to elevate him to a starting role. 

On 12/13/2019 at 3:02 PM, jimkelly02 said:

Moving on..... are you guys more in favor of making 1 big signing (Chris Jones, Arik Armstead, etc) ... guys who will get 14-20 mil per year (and yes I’m aware most likely Chris Jones gets tagged) or 2-3 mid level signings... guys who will get (6-12 mil per year)?

I'd spend at DT where they need to get a guy to take pressure off edge players. Wouldn't overspend at other spots but find good value at LB and a vet corner

• Like 1