FA 2020

drfrey13

Resign Worley, Riley, Sign Alexander.

Worley is decent at CB and allows Alexander to play NCB. Worley and Johnson battle it out for CB opposite Mullen. There was also a lot of talk about Worley playing S, but injuries didn’t allow that. So, Worley offers flexibility if Joyner bombs at S, too. I’d also bring Riley back, he settle in and played well the 2nd half of last season. 

CB: Mullen, Worley, Alexander, Johnson, Nixon 

S: Abram, Joyner, Harris, Riley, Worley

8 hours ago, Geezy said:

Resign Worley, Riley, Sign Alexander.

Worley is decent at CB and allows Alexander to play NCB. Worley and Johnson battle it out for CB opposite Mullen. There was also a lot of talk about Worley playing S, but injuries didn’t allow that. So, Worley offers flexibility if Joyner bombs at S, too. I’d also bring Riley back, he settle in and played well the 2nd half of last season. 

CB: Mullen, Worley, Alexander, Johnson, Nixon 

S: Abram, Joyner, Harris, Riley, Worley

Worley is trash and slow. That's one of the worst secondaries in the league tbh. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Geezy said:

So many FA Safeties are going to hit the market this offseason. Interesting to see how we go about things with Joyner. Too much dead money to cut, but damn, I hate passing over so many talented guys for someone who more than likely won’t be here last 2020. 

We need to play him at FS. Target a CB in free agency like Byron Jones and our secondary looks pretty solid. 

We currently have $57.8M in cap space. Personally I'd cut Gabe Jackson ($9.6M savings) and Tahir Whitehead ($6.2M savings) to get up to $74.6M. 

I'd then target:

Cory Littleton - $14M per year 

Chris Jones - $19M per year 

Byron Jones - $13M per year 

That's $46M of our cap but would solidify our defense. Target Patrick Queen in the draft and our front 7 would be nice. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Worley is trash and slow. That's one of the worst secondaries in the league tbh. 

Trying to be realistic, we’re not signing a big money S, with Joyner on the books, and the staff seems high on the youngins. 

id let Worley compete with Johnson(who the staff loves) Hell be cheap, knows the system and offers flexibility. We can’t just sign a bunch of top end guys at every position, this ain’t Madden. Mayock is looking to draft and develop. 

Edited by Geezy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We currently have $57.8M in cap space. Personally I'd cut Gabe Jackson ($9.6M savings) and Tahir Whitehead ($6.2M savings) to get up to $74.6M. 

I'd then target:

Cory Littleton - $14M per year 

Chris Jones - $19M per year 

Byron Jones - $13M per year 

That's $46M of our cap but would solidify our defense. Target Patrick Queen in the draft and our front 7 would be nice. 

Think you’re short changing all 3 of them, everyone gets overpaid in FA. It’s doubtful we bring in 3 of the top 10 FA on the market.

i think it’s more realistic we bring in two top guys and a couple starter/depth types. We have a ton of holes and need to spread out our cap space. I also don’t think Gabes getting cut.  

On 17/01/2020 at 7:53 AM, NYRaider said:

We need to play him at FS. Target a CB in free agency like Byron Jones and our secondary looks pretty solid. 

Not sure why Byron Jones keeps popping up, he's not bad but for the money he'll want he isn't really an upgrade over what we have ir only slight and he certainly isn't a playmaker back there. I dont see many FA cornerbacks that will be good value. 

I'd re-sign Joseph and Worley draft a couple more CBs to compete and bolster the DL and LB core. Without more consistent pressure anyone you put back there will have a hard time. 

• Like 1

What about Logan Ryan? Really like his game, would love the physicality he brings in the secondary. He would work nice in the slot. He’s been on good teams and offers a ton of experience to our young guys. 

Ryan and Alexander are two CBs that will be available that can come in work the slot and not break the bank.

• Like 1

I think anyone who believes we’re going to sign 2-3 of the top 2-3 players at their position in FA will be sadly disappointed with Mayock.  I ran a little quick spreadsheet and once you factor in the draft class and the ERFA’s, tendering Morrow to the lowest tender, and declined Peterson’s tender but resigned him for $800,000.  After that we have $44.034M to resign UFA’s and other teams FA’s.

dont forget we front load big deals so there’s no cap hit after year 2.  Trent Brown’s cap: 15.5 / 21.5 / 14 / 15.25.  It almost owes has Year 1 being just slightly less than the average of the contract, then a big year 2 cap hit, then year 3 is less than the average of the deal, and year 4 is right around average.  So we’re not going to sign anyone to a 4y,48M deal with a cap hit year 1 of 8M.

personally i don’t think we spend over 30 million on outside FA’s.  I’d even think it could be 25M.

I’ve been saying this for a long time; James Bradberry is the CB we should go after.  Byron Jones will get a deal above their value because that’s what happens to top FAs, but the best value is that 2nd wave of FAs who get signed to reasonable deals.  Bradberry was CB1 in Carolina and tasked with following the WR1 at all times and he ran through The gauntlet in the NFC South: Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, Mike Evans/Chris Goodwin and performed very well.  He also didn’t have great safety play to help him out.

i think we could get him for $11-13M a year, whereas the top CBs are going to get $15-16.5M.

• Like 1

Also, I’ve noticed there’s this wave to sign all young FAs.  I think we’ll see a mix of 1 young guy fresh off his rookie deal, a veteran whose 28-30ish, and a player who gets cut at 30-31yo.  Most of the time we get rid Of a guy after 2 years anyway so I see value in trying to get a guy like JPP or a released Everson Griffin on a 2 year deal for a reasonable rate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Not sure why Byron Jones keeps popping up,

He pops up so much because numerous Raider new sites, YouTube Raider Channels, and NFL News/Rumor sites have just recently written articles or made videos suggesting we may sign him.  Also, we signed his ex-DC for his entire career, Rob Marinelli.  The hypothesis is Marinelli is familiar with him and will vouch for him to Mayock.

• Like 1