FA 2020

drfrey13

10 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

wonder how big of a role Income Tax laws of Nevada play in free agency?

A player that is making $10,000,000 a year in California takes home $1,330,000 less then a player making $10,000,000 a year in Nevada. 

You tell me me how big of a roll it will play?

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Would you guys cut Joyner for Joseph to be on FS? I feel like Joseph best football is ahead of him , and Joyner best football is behind him. Probably save a bit of money too. Could invest that money on other areas of the defense 

We save hardly anything at all cutting Joyner. The dead money is substantial. No point in cutting him. I am all for moving him back to S full-time. That's where we last played very, very well.

39 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Would you guys cut Joyner for Joseph to be on FS? I feel like Joseph best football is ahead of him , and Joyner best football is behind him. Probably save a bit of money too. Could invest that money on other areas of the defense 

I've always been a fan of Joseph since watching him pre draft, if it was a choice between the two I'd take Joseph but as RaidersAreOne says, it doesn't really make sense to cut Joyner and I can see us using all 3 safeties with Abram.

Both have issues covering TEs but Joseph us our best tackler and really played well when we used him to his strengths.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I've always been a fan of Joseph since watching him pre draft, if it was a choice between the two I'd take Joseph but as RaidersAreOne says, it doesn't really make sense to cut Joyner and I can see us using all 3 safeties with Abram.

Both have issues covering TEs but Joseph us our best tackler and really played well when we used him to his strengths.

I think k jo is our best safety 

harris is good too

abram is unknown 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OG_C2X said:

A player that is making $10,000,000 a year in California takes home $1,330,000 less then a player making $10,000,000 a year in Nevada. 

You tell me me how big of a roll it will play?

Not entirely true.  They pay taxes based on the state the games is played in.  Still, having the majority of games played in a high tax state means that our players were paying out more than other teams.

12 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Not entirely true.  They pay taxes based on the state the games is played in.  Still, having the majority of games played in a high tax state means that our players were paying out more than other teams.

I have never heard that nor does that make a lick of sense. 

1 hour ago, 101Raider said:

Pretty sure you pay taxes based upon your state of residence.  Never heard of this in my life.  Either way, 0 state taxes in LV is a huge selling point.

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Pretty sure you pay taxes based upon your state of residence.  Never heard of this in my life.  Either way, 0 state taxes in LV is a huge selling point.

Lots of articles online, here’s one such.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/nfl-jock-taxes

“jock tax“ is The key term to search

Edited by 101Raider

1 minute ago, 101Raider said:

Key Findings

• California hits hard. Athletes who play for one of the NFL’s three California teams pay a marginal tax rate of 13.3%, the highest state-level tax in the country. For that reason, players on those teams give up more of their income in taxes than players anywhere else in the country. Phillip Rivers, QB for the San Diego Chargers, has the highest effective tax rate of any NFL player, according to our analysis.

This ^

If a player has to choose between a California team and the LV Raiders, and money is a vital part of the negotiation process (always is), then we have the upper hand every single time.

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Key Findings

• California hits hard. Athletes who play for one of the NFL’s three California teams pay a marginal tax rate of 13.3%, the highest state-level tax in the country. For that reason, players on those teams give up more of their income in taxes than players anywhere else in the country. Phillip Rivers, QB for the San Diego Chargers, has the highest effective tax rate of any NFL player, according to our analysis.

This ^

If a player has to choose between a California team and the LV Raiders, and money is a vital part of the negotiation process (always is), then we have the upper hand every single time.

I owe an apology to everyone, I was wrong. I misinterpreted what I’d read.  

apparently not only do they pay their own state income tax, athletes are taxed by the state they’re visiting...

I didn’t realize they were paying federal taxes, home based state taxes AND taxes for the state they’re playing in.  

I think athletes make to much, but dear god how is that fair to pay 3 sets of taxes???

42 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

“jock tax“ is The key term to search

Ok I see, but that is an additional tax.. Meaning they are still paying a state income tax on their total annual earning of 13.3%. Meaning they are still taking home $1,330,000 less just by living in CA vs NV.  

I didn't read your realization lol. 

Edited by OG_C2X