FA 2020

drfrey13

31 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Was listing to the podcast Vic does and he mentioned that he has a feeling that the LB the Raiders would go after would be Sean Lee. Probably using the Rod Marinelli connection. But I cringe at that idea. It would be such a Raider thing to do. 

Would be just like Burfict but an injury instead of a suspension.  I would probably sign Burfict instead of Lee.  I think he has more left in the tank if he can keep his licence.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

10 a year is hardly big money. We're paying Joyner 10 a year to get toasted by bum receivers. Harris has been the best in the business and he hasn't declined yet. I'd say he has 3 good to very good years left.  Plus we need a vet on the defense with instincts and accountability in the secondary.

CB is a position where even a slight drop in athleticism makes a world of a difference. Not a fan of paying older CBs on multi-year deals. How many age 30+ CB's have signed bigger deals and thrived? 

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Would be just like Burfict but an injury instead of a suspension.  I would probably sign Burfict instead of Lee.  I think he has more left in the tank if he can keep his licence.

I understand the pessimism, but Lee is actually still a very good coverage lb. Injuries and age are def a concern, but he might give Gruden flashbacks of William Thomas

20 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Any interest in Dante Fowler? Only 25 and coming off a 11.5 sack campaign for the Rams. IIRC he was a DE for the Jags but played more of an OLB for the Rams. Listed at 255.

I came back to this because I was thinking we use him as a B. Irvin role and sign Chris Jones from KC.  I think we'd be able to apply a lot of pressure with Maxx Crosby, Maurice Hurst, Chris Jones, C. Ferrell, and Dante Fowler rushing the passer. Crosby had his 10, Chris Jones had 9, D. Fowler had 11.5, and Ferrell had 4, M. Hurst had 3.5.  35+ sacks would be great.  A man can hope.

There's no Bruce Irvin role in Guenther's D. It's a classic 4-3 with the 3 LBs off the LOS. Any edge rusher added is getting into a rotation with Maxx and Cle and/or pushing one of those out of a starting spot. I don't think it's a bad idea to have 3 "starting" DEs sharing snaps. Keeps them fresher through games and the season. That's something we can afford with Maxx and Cle on rookie contracts. There wouldn't be many snaps left for Key (and Jordan if he's re-signed) though.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:57 PM, BayRaider said:

Tyrell is absolutely a solid WR2. Never understood the release talk. A lot of it was from Carr supporters to hype up the Carr has poor weapons narrative. Get Tyrell a starter on the opposite side. 

Yeah I totally agree.  I’ll even go further and say Williams as WR2 plus Renfrow in the slot and a a high volume TE like Waller plus a solid and up and coming TE2 in Moreau allows us to not NEED a high volume AB type, 80-100 catch WR1.

realistically, we really only NEED another WR2/borderline WR1.  Carr did his best work spreading the ball around to Crabtree and Cooper in ‘16.  Statistically they had 1000 and 1150 yd seasons but talent wise they were closer to 2 WR2s.  They lack of other talent (Roberts and Walford) drove up their stats.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

I understand the pessimism, but Lee is actually still a very good coverage lb. Injuries and age are def a concern, but he might give Gruden flashbacks of William Thomas

Well we need enough help and both should be cheap enough to sign both to go along with some youngsters.

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

CB is a position where even a slight drop in athleticism makes a world of a difference. Not a fan of paying older CBs on multi-year deals. How many age 30+ CB's have signed bigger deals and thrived? 

Sherman has played pretty well. Woodson played well into his 30s. So did Terrence Newman... 
Point being Harris hasn't showed any signs of dropoff. If he can give us some bridge high-level secondary play, I'm all for it. 

How good is Olgetree in coverage?  His coverage stats are really good: 5 int, 8 PD in ‘18... averages 2 int’s and 9-10 PD per year.... but pff’s coverage stats on him are bad:

‘19: 417 coverage snaps, 47 catches on 54 targets (87% allowed completion) for 422yd and 4 TD

’18: 433 coverage snaps, 51 catches on 62 targets (82% allowed completion) for 532yd and 3 TD

’17: 513coverage snaps, 52 catches on 62 targets (84% allowed completion) for 437 yd and 2 TD

those are 3 horrible years.... to put it into reference Tahir Whitehead in ‘19:

518 coverage  snaps, 47 catches on 58 targets (84% allowed completion) for 616 yd and 7 TD

In fact Whitehead has given up 7,7,3,7 TDs the last 4 years.... yikes 

On 07/02/2020 at 10:56 AM, NJ Raider said:

I can see us looking at Lee and bringing back Burfict and then after 6 games Burfict is suspended indefinitely and Lee is on IR and we're bringing guys in off the street again 😁😁🙃🙃

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I can see us looking at Lee and bringing back Burfict and then after 6 games Burfict is suspended indefinitely and Lee is on IR and we're bringing guys in off the street again 😁😁🙃🙃

Exactly what I was thinking.  After drafting Queen and Simmons they should be ready to take over full time when it happens.

• Like 1