FA 2020

drfrey13

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

If he’s our 9th DL then we wouldn’t want to pay more than the vet minimum would we? That’s probably the problem. 

Yeah I mean I think he’s probably get one of those veteran minimums with a small signing bonus that still allow us to get a veteran cap credit...

im rather displeased were not interested apparently.... idk if it was Vic Tafur in Twitter Or someone else, I can’t find the tweet again, but he said something like “the pans definitely cooling off the stove, but it ain’t in the sink yet” to imply it’s looking like we’re not going to resign him.... very upsetting imo... he’s not needed, needed but he’d definitely be a great addition.... he played very very well last year and imo he’s the ideal 9th DL because of his versatility and length, especially with how short our DTs are it’s nice to bring him in to rush from DT. His length was really useful on stunts and even when he didn’t get to the QB fully he got his hands up taking away windows and even caused an INT off a tip.

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

He’s probably waited for the draft to play out and see if any teams need DE help more than we do. Maybe he didn’t like rushing from DT so might be wanting a better fit.

Just because he hasn’t signed doesn’t mean we are waiting around. 

I doubt he didn’t like rushing from DT, he was prolly just happy to be playing at all to be quite honest.... he seemed to have a whole new out look on life.... he has a sobriety support network in the Bay Area that includes Tom Cable thru a mutual friend trainer. That’s the connection that got him interested in us and us in him.

i don’t think it’s a real money thing, he ain’t gonna get a big deal elsewhere.  I think our FO is just being stupid and not wanting to resign him despite our poor DL depth.

8 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah I mean I think he’s probably get one of those veteran minimums with a small signing bonus that still allow us to get a veteran cap credit...

im rather displeased were not interested apparently.... idk if it was Vic Tafur in Twitter Or someone else, I can’t find the tweet again, but he said something like “the pans definitely cooling off the stove, but it ain’t in the sink yet” to imply it’s looking like we’re not going to resign him.... very upsetting imo... he’s not needed, needed but he’d definitely be a great addition.... he played very very well last year and imo he’s the ideal 9th DL because of his versatility and length, especially with how short our DTs are it’s nice to bring him in to rush from DT. His length was really useful on stunts and even when he didn’t get to the QB fully he got his hands up taking away windows and even caused an INT off a tip.

I doubt he didn’t like rushing from DT, he was prolly just happy to be playing at all to be quite honest.... he seemed to have a whole new out look on life.... he has a sobriety support network in the Bay Area that includes Tom Cable thru a mutual friend trainer. That’s the connection that got him interested in us and us in him.

i don’t think it’s a real money thing, he ain’t gonna get a big deal elsewhere.  I think our FO is just being stupid and not wanting to resign him despite our poor DL depth.

Looking at our depth chart who do you drop especially when people are calling for another RB?

16 minutes ago, reddevil said:

I wonder whether they feel like Key will come back and play more and also Nassib could’ve been bought in to do the exact job Jordan did. That’s all I can think of that might be preventing us from offering him a deal if we haven’t.

look at the current depth chart, where does he fit right now, who do you cut or what position do you cut to make room?

48 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

look at the current depth chart, where does he fit right now, who do you cut or what position do you cut to make room?

Personally, I'm a fan of going with 10 DL so they can always rotate and be fresh late into games so I'd get rid of one of the OL like Parker as we can bring in a guy off the street who'll be just as good (bad) or only carry 4 safeties as Joyner can cover there (though the FO dont seem to think so). Is there actually 55 roster spots now or 53??

54 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Personally, I'm a fan of going with 10 DL so they can always rotate and be fresh late into games so I'd get rid of one of the OL like Parker as we can bring in a guy off the street who'll be just as good (bad) or only carry 4 safeties as Joyner can cover there (though the FO dont seem to think so). Is there actually 55 roster spots now or 53??

I feel you, so you don't think we need another RB then?

Edited by raidr4life

58 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Actually 55 now so they could add him.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Is there actually 55 roster spots now or 53??

“Rosters

Teams can designate an additional player to return from injured reserve each year (three instead of two)

Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, and a team doesn't have to replace the player on the practice squad

Active game-day rosters increased from 46 to 48 players

Practice squads expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-2021, then to 14 players starting in 2022 (including between two and four players with unlimited accrued seasons per team)” -CBSsportsline

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls-new-cba-explained-heres-a-look-at-all-the-season-roster-and-salary-changes/

The 55 player active roster is a false narrative we were fed. It’s not a true 55 man roster.

Teams can carry 53 players on active roster plus 12 practice squad players (2 of which have no limitations on experience and can be paid 204k instead of 142.8k).  Every week, the teams can designate any two PS players to “move” the now 55 man roster. It’s not a “transaction” as they never leave the PS, they’re just PS players who can play in the game.  The catch is there is only 48 of 53/55 players who are active.  So it’s probably rare those 2 PS players are active for the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

“Rosters

Teams can designate an additional player to return from injured reserve each year (three instead of two)

Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, and a team doesn't have to replace the player on the practice squad

Active game-day rosters increased from 46 to 48 players

Practice squads expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-2021, then to 14 players starting in 2022 (including between two and four players with unlimited accrued seasons per team)” -CBSsportsline

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls-new-cba-explained-heres-a-look-at-all-the-season-roster-and-salary-changes/

The 55 player active roster is a false narrative we were fed. It’s not a true 55 man roster.

Teams can carry 53 players on active roster plus 12 practice squad players (2 of which have no limitations on experience and can be paid 204k instead of 142.8k).  Every week, the teams can designate any two PS players to “move” the now 55 man roster. It’s not a “transaction” as they never leave the PS, they’re just PS players who can play in the game.  The catch is there is only 48 of 53/55 players who are active.  So it’s probably rare those 2 PS players are active for the game.

That's really useful to know! Cheers for that valuable info 👍

13 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I feel you, so you don't think we need another RB then?

I'd bring a guy in like Crowell last year and let him compete and the lesser player of the RBs, the WRs or the CBs I'd try and sneak onto the PS. 

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

DT: Collins, Hankins, Hurst, and Hall

DE: Nassib, Crosby, Ferrell, and Key

Add Jordan and that is only nine.  I like that more than last year and the only change I would make is Mayowa over Key.

I like the idea of adding another RB that will allow us to rest Jacobs and/or take over in case of injury.  Hyde of course is the best available.

Edited by drfrey13

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Add Jordan and that is only nine.  I like that more than last year and the only change I would make is Mayowa over Key.

Mayowa signed elsewhere

52 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

That's really useful to know! Cheers for that valuable info 👍

Np,,, I’ve mentioned it a few times in this forum because if you just listen to the headlines (which most people do) all the news companies said it’s two extra players on the active roster and that isn’t the case.  That was very misleading.  

I wonder if those PS players get a pay increase, like a bigger game check.  I haven’t read that and there would be salary cap implications if they did.  

All that I see this really does is allow teams to bring up a PS player in the event of an injury, and not have to cut another player to do so.  It’ll also save players from being IR’d for injuries they’d recover from and be able to play in later regular season games, but because teams need the roster space for an active, available player.

Example (using last years roster):  If In the week 9 game, Joyner Gets hurts and is expected to be out 4 weeks.  He’ll be back by week 14 and have 3 games left to play.  There’s three options: IR him and he’s done for the year but we open up a roster spot to sign another player to the active roster; cut another player (preferably a non vested veteran, see note #1); do nothing and keep Joyner on the roster and try to scrape by until he’s healthy; or cut a player at another position (usually a non-vested younger player for the same reasons as note #1) and then sign a CB, whether it be a PS player getting brought up or a street free agent.

Now that teams are allowed to bring up 2 practice squad players every week, instead of IR’ing Joyner, cutting another player At a different position to make room for signing a CB, or just doing nothing and scraping by short on depth, teams can not bring up a PS player, last year it would likely have been Nick Nelson, for 4 weeks Joyner is out.  This new rule does save a lot of unnecessary disruption to the roster and keeps teams from having to make sacrifices.  It’s also a good way of just giving mostly younger players a shot in game action on a trial basis; although as I said before 2 of the 12 PS spots can be veterans who previously had too many seasons to be eligible.

I think teams (really owners) will actually save a lot of money because every time you IR a player your paying a new player on top of it.  Sure there’s about 400k in additional PS spending but that cost can easily be saved and then some by not sending players to IR prematurely.

Note #1: 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/vested-veteran-salary-guarantees-nfl

This rule is why you see veterans on the roster bubble cut at the deadline and resigned week 2.  There salary is now not guaranteed for the year.  They can be cut and a new player signed without paying the aforementioned veteran as well as the new player, who would get 1/17 his Contractual salary amount for every week he’s on the roster.

besides that situation I mentioned why else would teams choose to activate a PS player(s) over the other 5 players (53 players plus 2 PS players= 48 active plus 7 inactives) who are on the active roster but inactive for the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I like the idea of adding another RB that will allow us to rest Jacobs and/or take over in case of injury.  Hyde of course is the best available.

I agree... add Jordan to be 9th DLmen, add a RB2 to preserve Jacobs (this year as well as his long term future).

Roster Breakdown-

2 QBs: Carr Mariota

1 FB: Ingold 

4 RB: Jacobs, RB2, Richard, Bowden

3 TE: Waller, Witten, Moreau (Keep Carrier/O’Leary if Moreau is PUP’d)

6 WR: Williams, Ruggs, Renfrow, Edwards, Agholor, Jones(Or Doss/Ateman)

10 OL: Miller, Incognito, Hudson, Jackson, Brown plus Sharpe, Good, Parker, Simpson, James (or Devey/Kush)

3 ST: Carlson K, Cole P, Sieg LS

9 DL: Ferrell, Crosby, Nassib, Key and Hankins, Hall, Collins, Hurst

5 LB: Littleton, Kwiatkowski, Lee, Morrow, Muse

4 CB: Mullen, Arnette, Johnson, Lawson

2 sCB: Joyner, Robertson

4 S: Abram, Randall, Harris, Heath

Practice Squad: 

1 QB Peterman/Kizer

1 RB TBD/Stanback

1 WR Gafford

1 TE Butler

1 G Cotton