drfrey13

FA 2020

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah I mean I think he’s probably get one of those veteran minimums with a small signing bonus that still allow us to get a veteran cap credit...

im rather displeased were not interested apparently.... idk if it was Vic Tafur in Twitter Or someone else, I can’t find the tweet again, but he said something like “the pans definitely cooling off the stove, but it ain’t in the sink yet” to imply it’s looking like we’re not going to resign him.... very upsetting imo... he’s not needed, needed but he’d definitely be a great addition.... he played very very well last year and imo he’s the ideal 9th DL because of his versatility and length, especially with how short our DTs are it’s nice to bring him in to rush from DT. His length was really useful on stunts and even when he didn’t get to the QB fully he got his hands up taking away windows and even caused an INT off a tip.

I doubt he didn’t like rushing from DT, he was prolly just happy to be playing at all to be quite honest.... he seemed to have a whole new out look on life.... he has a sobriety support network in the Bay Area that includes Tom Cable thru a mutual friend trainer. That’s the connection that got him interested in us and us in him.

i don’t think it’s a real money thing, he ain’t gonna get a big deal elsewhere.  I think our FO is just being stupid and not wanting to resign him despite our poor DL depth.

Yeah I don’t agree it’s not a money thing. Jordan did pretty well last year in limited game time. Imo he probably thinks he is better than vet minimum, being so far down the roster and wants to see if there is a better option out there.

Whereas our FO is probably thinking with the moves for Collins and Nassib that they don’t want to offer more than vet min for our 9th DL with a history of suspensions.

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:

Mayowa signed elsewhere

I know but I would have made him an offer and cut Key instead.  I understand Key can still get better and is on his rookie contract but Mayowa's production would have been worth the extra $2 million and we should have had little problem signing him with Marinelli coming over.  Not a huge deal but I am not a big fan of Key and I thought Mayowa was very productive in his limited snaps.

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Yeah I don’t agree it’s not a money thing. Jordan did pretty well last year in limited game time. Imo he probably thinks he is better than vet minimum, being so far down the roster and wants to see if there is a better option out there.

Whereas our FO is probably thinking with the moves for Collins and Nassib that they don’t want to offer more than vet min for our 9th DL with a history of suspensions.

I think it’s not Jordan... the team beat writer I got the news from made it sound entirely on the Raiders... they’re not interested at the moment but it’s not a never totally done relationships.

i think they just think Nassib is better and there’s no need for Jordan 

12 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think it’s not Jordan... the team beat writer I got the news from made it sound entirely on the Raiders... they’re not interested at the moment but it’s not a never totally done relationships.

i think they just think Nassib is better and there’s no need for Jordan 

Everybody including the staff will talk about depth and how we need more.  We do not have 9 DL that are better then him or versatile like him.  It seems like a no brainer as long as he is not asking for a ton of money.

40 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Everybody including the staff will talk about depth and how we need more.  We do not have 9 DL that are better then him or versatile like him.  It seems like a no brainer as long as he is not asking for a ton of money.

Yeah totally agree that’s why I’m so aggravated about him not being resigned 

I said this several times before... all the talk of Mayock Compensating for covid making a shorter camp (no mini camps) with veterans is an utter lie.... people were saying we didn’t sign UDFAs because they won’t have time to develop/learn/etc but the reality is the “depth” we have isn’t veterans is CFL and Practice Squad veterans... only a few guys have even minuscule NFL regular season game experience.  We signed a ton of these “futures contract” players so we could have a look at them in minicamp but now that’s not happening and it’s past the deadline for FAs to count against Compensatiory Pick formula (not that this efffects us in the least... but teams are starting to sign the remaining veteran FAs) as really need to waives the scrubs to free up roster spots for quality, NFL level guys to compete in camp. 

take a look at our depth chart and LmK whose gonna give PJ Hall the scare of life time and make him step up: Daniel Ross, Kendal Vickers, Mike Panasiuk?  Whose punish Arden Key in his make or break year: Ade Aruna, Jeremiah Valoaga?   Safety depth: Leavitt whose basically ST only player who I can’t figure out how he’s still around here.  Don’t even get me started about the scrubs at LB. Let’s need to cut 6-10 players and replace them quality veterans who can compete for roster spots... even if they’re not going to win.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/LV

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah totally agree that’s why I’m so aggravated about him not being resigned 

I said this several times before... all the talk of Mayock Compensating for covid making a shorter camp (no mini camps) with veterans is an utter lie.... people were saying we didn’t sign UDFAs because they won’t have time to develop/learn/etc but the reality is the “depth” we have isn’t veterans is CFL and Practice Squad veterans... only a few guys have even minuscule NFL regular season game experience.  We signed a ton of these “futures contract” players so we could have a look at them in minicamp but now that’s not happening and it’s past the deadline for FAs to count against Compensatiory Pick formula (not that this efffects us in the least... but teams are starting to sign the remaining veteran FAs) as really need to waives the scrubs to free up roster spots for quality, NFL level guys to compete in camp. 

take a look at our depth chart and LmK whose gonna give PJ Hall the scare of life time and make him step up: Daniel Ross, Kendal Vickers, Mike Panasiuk?  Whose punish Arden Key in his make or break year: Ade Aruna, Jeremiah Valoaga?   Safety depth: Leavitt whose basically ST only player who I can’t figure out how he’s still around here.  Don’t even get me started about the scrubs at LB. Let’s need to cut 6-10 players and replace them quality veterans who can compete for roster spots... even if they’re not going to win.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/LV

In all fairness, we could definitely pick up a cut DL for depth off a top squad (like SF). Plus Jordan is still out there. And Key was playing well last year prior to injury. 

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I know but I would have made him an offer and cut Key instead.  I understand Key can still get better and is on his rookie contract but Mayowa's production would have been worth the extra $2 million and we should have had little problem signing him with Marinelli coming over.  Not a huge deal but I am not a big fan of Key and I thought Mayowa was very productive in his limited snaps.

Marinelli had Mayowa for 2 years. Then let him walk. He didn't push for Mayowa to be resigned. He clearly doesn't think much of Mayowa.

42 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

Marinelli had Mayowa for 2 years. Then let him walk. He didn't push for Mayowa to be resigned. He clearly doesn't think much of Mayowa.

Just because you do not pursue a player does mean they are garbage.  Sometimes a player will want something more than you are willing to offer such as money or playing time.  The Cowboys in 2018 had Lawrence, Crawford, Gregory, and just drafted Taco.  The only thing I can say for certain is that if Mayowa wanted to return whomever makes the personnel decisions thought it was better for the Cowboys to have those 4 guys over Myaowa.  If it was Marinelli that made that decision then I hope he does not get to choose who we keep because I would take Mayowa over Taco and Gregory everyday of the week.  He could have wanted to leave the same way he may have wanted to leave here.  I can not say what happened in 2016, 2017, or last year with us but I believe he is better than Key but that does not mean the coaches hold the same opinion.

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I agree... add Jordan to be 9th DLmen, add a RB2 to preserve Jacobs (this year as well as his long term future).

Roster Breakdown-

2 QBs: Carr Mariota

1 FB: Ingold 

4 RB: Jacobs, RB2, Richard, Bowden

3 TE: Waller, Witten, Moreau (Keep Carrier/O’Leary if Moreau is PUP’d)

6 WR: Williams, Ruggs, Renfrow, Edwards, Agholor, Jones(Or Doss/Ateman)

10 OL: Miller, Incognito, Hudson, Jackson, Brown plus Sharpe, Good, Parker, Simpson, James (or Devey/Kush)

3 ST: Carlson K, Cole P, Sieg LS

9 DL: Ferrell, Crosby, Nassib, Key and Hankins, Hall, Collins, Hurst

5 LB: Littleton, Kwiatkowski, Lee, Morrow, Muse

4 CB: Mullen, Arnette, Johnson, Lawson

2 sCB: Joyner, Robertson

4 S: Abram, Randall, Harris, Heath

Practice Squad: 

1 QB Peterman/Kizer

1 RB TBD/Stanback

1 WR Gafford

1 TE Butler

1 G Cotton

1 OT TBD

1 DL TBD

1 LB Coney/J.White

2 CB Nixon, Nick Nelson/Dylan Mabin/Madre Harper

1 S TBD

1 unnamed position

* Theresa few changes I could see happening but this is my basic team breakdown

I think this is pretty much what I'd be thinking of, though I'd add a 10th DL and cut one of the OL, probably Parker as Good gas played RT and Sharp can play bot left and right. I really dont know who'll make the PS at this stage though!

16 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I think this is pretty much what I'd be thinking of, though I'd add a 10th DL and cut one of the OL, probably Parker as Good gas played RT and Sharp can play bot left and right. I really dont know who'll make the PS at this stage though!

Very true... when I said that’s basically how I see it with a possible change or two that’s the change I was thinking of #1.  I said this before, I went back and rewatched Sharpe and Parker’s 2020 snaps and Sharpe is light years above Parker... sharpe is a equal to lower tier starting RT.  Parker is still so raw he we have to scheme around it and he can’t run DEs around the arc like LTs have to.  Unless he really improves he’s gone prolly.  But can sharpe play LT at a good level of Miller was out a game or more? Idk... haven’t seen him at LT in a few years. But he was good at LT at Florida.  What does everyone think abOut Sharpe playing LT if called upon as a backup?

On 5/2/2020 at 3:10 PM, Darbsk said:

That's really useful to know! Cheers for that valuable info 👍

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28901832/nfl-cba-approved-players-get-new-deal-how-expanded-playoffs-schedule-work

interesting note I just happened to stumble across deleting old saved bookmarks on my phone....

“Any other financial changes that help the players?

And there's a new "Veteran Salary Benefit" that allows a team to re-sign up to two of its own players per year (provided they have at least four years of service time) and exclude as much as $1.25 million of each player's base salary from each year's salary cap. Here's an example: Let's say you're a four-year veteran on the Jets, and they want to re-sign you. They can offer you a one-year, $6.25 million deal, and only $5 million of it will count against their salary cap if they designated you as one of their two VSB exceptions. If you left and signed with, say, the Patriots, for one year and $6.25 million, the Patriots will have to count all $6.25 million against their cap. It's sort of a starter version of the NBA's midlevel exception rule, as I understand it.”

”How about expanded rosters?

... The game-day active roster will increase from 46 to 48 players (although one of the extra players must be an offensive lineman, which will give teams more flexibility to have three extra linemen). Practice squads will expand from 10 players to 12 in 2020...

Two practice-squad players per week may be elevated to the team's roster, meaning game-week roster sizes could effectively increase from 53 to 55. And a player elevated from the practice squad to the 55-man roster could be sent back to the practice squad two times without having to clear waivers.”

I could see Parker getting cut if he is terrible in training camp and preseason. Could just roll with 9 OL, as Brown to slide over to LT. Sharpe could then be our RT. 

To expand on the last post, I found this as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-bring-back-receiver-demarcus-robinson-on-one-year-deal-per-report/

“The Kansas City Chiefs are re-signing wide receiver Demarcus Robinson to a one-year deal, according to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network. Pelissero adds that the deal is worth $2,297,500 fully guaranteed, which is the maximum allowed to qualify for the veteran salary benefit under the new CBA. The 25-year-old pass catcher will only count around $1 million against the Chiefs' cap for the 2020 season. “

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/demarcus-robinson-19080/

Robinson signed for 1yr with 2.16M base salary and 137.5K Signing Bonus but only counts $1,047,500 towards the cap.  That’s $1,250,000 less that the cash he will receive.

The 137.5K SB is the max a veteran can receive and still qualify for a salary cap reduction (which is meant to minimize the difference in cap costs of veterans vs younger players so teams do not favor signing [and keeping on the roster at the cut deadline] younger players).

That’s why Agholor, Kush, Wilber, O’Leary all received the same 137.5k signing bonus.  Wilber has a salary of  $1,050,00 and the other three have 910k salaries and they all have 137.5k signing bonuses.  Thus they would receive a yearly cash amount of $1,187,500 or $1,047,500.  However, they all would only cost $887,500 against the cap, which is the veteran minimum for year players with 2 years ($740,000) plus the $137,500 signing bonus. 

We get $300k cap benefit for Wilbur and $170k cap savings each for Agholor, Kush, O’Leary.

In the last few years we’ve received similar "Veteran Salary Benefit" so this isn’t something new with the new CBA.

But..... what is new is the fact we can get up to a $1.25M "Veteran Salary Benefit".  We can sign as many veterans like Wilbur, Kush, Agholor, O’Leary who have bass salaries that are the minimum for their experience and up to $137.5k signing bonus, but we can RESIGN up to 2 of out veteran players for 1.25M plus their veteran salary minimum and a $137.5k signing bonus (but we could also not give a signing bonus) and the player(s) only count the minimum veteran salary plus a signing bonus if one is given. Note: Rod Smith for instance only costs $750k against the cap and has a $910k salary, he wasn’t given a signing bonus but got veteran cap benefits.  

..... long long story short:

We have not used either of these two Special Veteran Salary Benefits.  So if the Raiders wanted to resign Dion Jordan he’d be a prime candidate. This is why (besides the information from the Raiders best writer it’s the FO who isn’t interested in resigning Jordan at the moment and not Jordan himself) I don’t think it’s a matter of money with Jordan.  We could give him 2.16M base salary and he’d only cost $910k against the cap (or add the $137.5k SB and it’s $1,047,500).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I could see Parker getting cut if he is terrible in training camp and preseason. Could just roll with 9 OL, as Brown to slide over to LT. Sharpe could then be our RT. 

This is a good point, in the case we cut Parker we have Sharpe as a swing tackle, Brown can play LT and RT and Good has some experience playing RT too so we have some flexibility. Jackson can play left and right, Devey can play OG and OC and I think James is a converted OT who can backup OC and possibly OG. This gives us a lot of flexibility all along the line. The last couple spots on the OL will be very competitive and a decent player or two will not make it........... A good position to be in.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:43 PM, OG_C2X said:

The current defensive staff clearly didn't think much of Mayowa either considering he only played like a quarter of our snaps last season. 

• Like 1