FA 2020

drfrey13

18 minutes ago, Totty said:

Rumors are floating around of us signing Davonte Booker.  Former Broncos RB.  Meh.

He's young and isn't a terrible player as a backup runner. I actually was thinking about this. Plus our line is definitely better than Denver's.

• Like 1

with the signings of Sam Young and Booker, I think our offense is set. Competition across the board, but defense could use a few more bodies. 

9th DLineman - could use a vet to challenge for the 9th DLineman spot

LB- personal would like a vet to challenge our depth 

S- maybe a CB converts, but one more safety to challenge would be ideal. We have interesting battles at CB, so I would ignore that unit 

what happened to that Utah State kicker? Maybe sign a vet Kicker if he doesn’t sign. After those 3, roster should be ready for camp. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's young and isn't a terrible player as a backup runner. I actually was thinking about this. Plus our line is definitely better than Denver's.

I think thats what would make him successful in our system.  Booker needs a decent block and then he can create and make people miss, but he needs a decent first block.  Broncos had an awful OL when he first came into the league and then they lucked into Lindsay, who happens to make their OL look much better than they are.  Booker will be a good screen, 3rd down, and special teams player.  

• Like 1

Sign one vet from each group and we will be good to go for camp! Healthy competition 

9th DL: depth/competition 

ezekiel Ansah, Cameron wake, Vinnie Curry, Michael Bennett, Dion Jordan, Everson Griffin, Marcell Dareus, Mike Daniels, Snack Harrison, Margus Hunt, Adam Gotsis 

LB: competition/ depth 

Nigel Bradham, Alex Ogltree, Deone Bucannon, Mark Barron, Darron Lee, Will Compton, Vontaze, Stephone Anthony 

S: competition/depth 

Reshod Jones, Tavon Wilson, Monte Richardson, Eric Reid, Eric Berry, TJ McDonald, Curtis Riley, Tony Jefferson, Clayton Geathers, Antoine Bethea, Jaheel Assae, Morgan Burnett, Tedric Thompson

Edited by Humble_Beast

Larry Warford, RG, 29 years old, ex-Saints&Lions was just cut.  He’s a slight upgrade from Gabe Jackson but very comparable.  Maybe we release Gabe (9.6M) if we can sign Warford for around $6-7M, as they market is likely undervalued right now.

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Larry Warford, RG, 29 years old, ex-Saints&Lions was just cut.  He’s a slight upgrade from Gabe Jackson but very comparable.  Maybe we release Gabe (9.6M) if we can sign Warford for around $6-7M, as they market is likely undervalued right now.

I rather not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

No thanks. Warford was cut in favor of a rookie. If he was better than Gabe, we could've just drafted someone. Imo, he'd be a slight downgrade, and I'm not interested in having an extra 2.5-3mil for a guy a Superbowl caliber team just replaced with a rookie without even a camp battle. 

There is a pretty good chance the salary cap for '21 drops quite a bit.  there is talk of 30-70 million per team.  We have what, 8 mill in cap space this year? And we are 8th from the bottom in cap space next year.  We can clear space next year (Gabe, Mariota, Tyrell) but most teams will have more than us next year. 

Adding vets before the season will guarantee their salary for the season. Whereas if we sign a player after the season, we only pay for the games they are on the roster. 

Guys like Warford or Logan Ryan are nearly impossible without cutting Gabe. 

We're gonna need space to sign rookies, and vets during the year, to replace injured players.  I don't see any signings coming. 

On 5/6/2020 at 7:51 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

He had one semi decent year as a rookie in 2016 and has a combined 115 carries for 491 yards over the past three seasons combined. 

3 hours ago, massraider said:

There is a pretty good chance the salary cap for '21 drops quite a bit.  there is talk of 30-70 million per team.  We have what, 8 mill in cap space this year? And we are 8th from the bottom in cap space next year.  We can clear space next year (Gabe, Mariota, Tyrell) but most teams will have more than us next year. 

Adding vets before the season will guarantee their salary for the season. Whereas if we sign a player after the season, we only pay for the games they are on the roster. 

Guys like Warford or Logan Ryan are nearly impossible without cutting Gabe. 

We're gonna need space to sign rookies, and vets during the year, to replace injured players.  I don't see any signings coming. 

Don't think the NFL and NFLPA let the salary cap go down so much. They'll borrow from future years instead. But that only happens if the season ends up being impacted which no one can be sure of right now. It'll be interesting to see how the owners react if some games have to be cancelled. From my understanding, most players are paid game checks throughout the season so if games are off, will the checks come anyway? There's potential for trouble there.

• Like 1