FA 2020

drfrey13

I had a random thought come to mind regarding our FAs from this past offseason.  N. Agholor and D. Booker are having really good seasons and producing.  C. Nassib, C. Littleton, and M. Collins are always struggling (Kwit the lone exception, he's doing really well this season).  I really think this has to do with coaching.  We can argue that Guenther's system is complex and hard to learn so it takes time for players to adapt but then why is it that N. Agholor and D. Booker are already producing as well as they are?  We all know Gruden's system is literally every single offensive play ever used in the history of the NFL.  I really think Guenther is just a crappy coach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I had a random thought come to mind regarding our FAs from this past offseason.  N. Agholor and D. Booker are having really good seasons and producing.  C. Nassib, C. Littleton, and M. Collins are always struggling (Kwit the lone exception, he's doing really well this season).  I really think this has to do with coaching.  We can argue that Guenther's system is complex and hard to learn so it takes time for players to adapt but then why is it that N. Agholor and D. Booker are already producing as well as they are?  We all know Gruden's system is literally every single offensive play ever used in the history of the NFL.  I really think Guenther is just a crappy coach.

You have to add in the weird off season.  If he's making a seamless jump from one defense to another, no excuses.  But I think this is a combination of crap coach and different scheme and no off season to get properly acclimated.  If in year two he doesn't improve significantly, I don't need to see year three.  

5 minutes ago, Totty said:

You have to add in the weird off season.  If he's making a seamless jump from one defense to another, no excuses.  But I think this is a combination of crap coach and different scheme and no off season to get properly acclimated.  If in year two he doesn't improve significantly, I don't need to see year three.  

Well again, the same could be said about D. Booker and N. Agholor.  They didn't have a normal offseason to learn the system either.

Is it as big of a learning curve at offensive skill positions?  Not arguing just honestly wondering.  RB come from college all the time and blow up.  A good bit of receivers as well.  Not saying it's automatic but, knowing your route or where your lane is or blocking assignment seems less difficult on the offensive side of the ball versus being responsible for a certain zone, guy, or offensive package.  Etc.  I guess I'm just kind of saying defense is more intricate in a way.  Imo.

2 hours ago, Totty said:

Is it as big of a learning curve at offensive skill positions?  Not arguing just honestly wondering.  RB come from college all the time and blow up.  A good bit of receivers as well.  Not saying it's automatic but, knowing your route or where your lane is or blocking assignment seems less difficult on the offensive side of the ball versus being responsible for a certain zone, guy, or offensive package.  Etc.  I guess I'm just kind of saying defense is more intricate in a way.  Imo.

I think Booker and Agholor are just good fits for our system.  Littleton is a combination  but we see week to week our defense is night and day.  Also no matter how well we are playing overall when we stop being aggressive our defense looks bad.  Same with our offense unless we have the run game going.  Gruden and Guenther need to just keep their foot on the gas.  It creates a killer instinct.  If you want to protect your key players then build a big lead and keep trying to score with some back ups.  Coach and play every series like the game is tied and we will look like a real contender.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I think Booker and Agholor are just good fits for our system.  Littleton is a combination  but we see week to week our defense is night and day.  Also no matter how well we are playing overall when we stop being aggressive our defense looks bad.  Same with our offense unless we have the run game going.  Gruden and Guenther need to just keep their foot on the gas.  It creates a killer instinct.  If you want to protect your key players then build a big lead and keep trying to score with some back ups.  Coach and play every series like the game is tied and we will look like a real contender.

Well blitzing against Mahomes is a recipe for disaster.  We had 3-4 rushers all game against him and 6-8 drop back and cover in man and it worked pretty well.  They don't run much and rely on Mahomes to carry the offense so I think we are better off just containing him in the pocket and not giving him any WRs to throw to.  They don't really run all that well and their RT is out.

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

Well blitzing against Mahomes is a recipe for disaster.  We had 3-4 rushers all game against him and 6-8 drop back and cover in man and it worked pretty well.  They don't run much and rely on Mahomes to carry the offense so I think we are better off just containing him in the pocket and not giving him any WRs to throw to.  They don't really run all that well and their RT is out.

We need to be able to run different strategies depending on the opponent but I was speaking in general.  Our d-line was getting after Mahomes still and played very aggressive on the line.  He was getting flushed out of the pocket a lot and you could tell that he was gassed in the 4th.

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Check out their thoughts. 

Sounds like he was a bad fit and not so much unwilling to work hard.  If we had a good DC that could work with a players strengths I would welcome the edition but Guenther does not seem very flexible.  If he is a scheme fit or we just put him as a pin your ears back situational pass rusher then go ahead.  With our remaining schedule he could help.  Especially next week when we play the Falcons.