FA 2020

drfrey13

I get that some people want a star defender to add to this defense but we really just need a quality 3T DT and FS.... those just happen to be THE two positions that with good play raise the level of the other players.  A FS with range allows the CBs to play more aggressively because they know they have help deep, as well as, helps the pass rush by making QBs hold onto the ball longer and make sure they aren’t throwing a INT.  A old 3Tech would greatly improve the pas rush by collapsing the pocket and widening rush lanes.  Especially with our DL we don’t have any rushers who can win with speed often and win quickly.  But add interior pressure and youll Definitely see more second move of effort sacks.

you really can’t have a solid defense in this scheme with piss poor play at FS and DT.... it stagnates the other 9 players. It’s ridiculous we’ve upgraded every position other then 3T and FS (and 3rd LB) when they’re the most important.  At least we can sleep well at night knowing even with a solid 3T and FS PG would still struggle.

Idk we thought a retread DC would bring his stale and figured out scheme here and then not ever use the double a-gap blitz and have success.  

If we upgrade DT, FS, OLB and get a young, innovative, adaptive DC we really could take a MAJOR leap defensively next year.

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't understand what you are asking? The Rams have arguably one of the top 5 all time DTs who impacts every game he plays in. You take Donald off that team, their defense would see a severe drop off. He makes everyone around him better and the coaches job easier.

There is ZERO doubt in my mind, if Guether had Mack on his defense right now, we'd not be as concerned with the defense. He has ZERO play makers on his unit.

They had darnold last year correct? Or am I missing something. Look at the contrast from rams defense last year to this year. Who exactly did they add that was so great to make such a jump. Since you brought up mack. Bears defense is in the middle of pack in yards and points. But back to rams. They was 13th in yards, and 17th in points allowed last year,, now they are 1st and 2nd in those categories. So I'll ask more clearly this time. What players was added to make this kinda jump? 

Edited by dante9876

6 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

They had darnold last year correct? Or am I missing something. Look at the contrast from rams defense last year to this year. Who exactly did they add that was so great to make such a jump. Since you brought up mack. Bears defense is in the middle of pack in yards and points. But back to rams. They was 13th in yards, and 17th in points allowed last year,, now they are 1st and 2nd in those categories. So I'll ask more clearly this time. What players was added to make this kinda jump? 

New DC. I agree man. We need a new DC.

9 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Ramsey was already with them last year but he joined the Rams a few weeks into the season so he had the benefits of a full offseason to get familiar with the scheme this time. Then there are some unknown guys performing really well. Darious Williams is doing great in his first season in a starting role. And Fuller, their rookie S, is playing well too. Floyd is producing but that's probably just a result of playing next to Donald. Anyway, the DC has to be doing something right.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

A new DC might elevate the defense slightly. But without a focus on some actual talent in key areas, they will never turn a corner. 

Very true but the defense is playing below their talent level which is never acceptable.  That is on coaching.  No mater the talent level, if they play over that level then you have good coaching.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

That depends on how you view their talent level I suppose. To me, they are well below average and play much that way.

I agree that they are below average and play that way but there is to much variance week to week to make me think it is only talent.

Work is slow so I been on overthecap way to much this morning and I feel like the Raiders are gonna have to make a choice between Jackson and Brown. I don’t see how they could keep both while trying to shore up the defense. Even after Browns rollercoaster season I would still pick him over Jackson. He’s just a dominant player. 

Also Richie gotta be gone and bring Good back and let’s see what Simpson can do. Raiders spend way to much money into the OL. Time to cut back on two pieces(Jackson and Richie) that can be replaced. 

2 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Work is slow so I been on overthecap way to much this morning and I feel like the Raiders are gonna have to make a choice between Jackson and Brown. I don’t see how they could keep both while trying to shore up the defense. Even after Browns rollercoaster season I would still pick him over Jackson. He’s just a dominant player. 

Also Richie gotta be gone and bring Good back and let’s see what Simpson can do. Raiders spend way to much money into the OL. Time to cut back on two pieces(Jackson and Richie) that can be replaced. 

With carr at qb. A high price oline is gonna be the norm. If we move on from Jackson, we still got to pay Miller the year after that. I don't think they letting Jackson go. It would be wise to trade him. I just don't see it happening 

Makes no sense to pay Gruden all this money, then go cheap on defensive coordinator. We need to go out there and spend big on a good DC. Or else that Gruden signing was a waste.

Needs in defense: Edge, UT, LB (another starting LB), FS

plays who need to grow: Max, Ferrell, Arnette, Mullen, Abram, Amik 

players who are solid  starters: Hankins, Kwit, Littleton( down year but has talent)

31 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Makes no sense to pay Gruden all this money, then go cheap on defensive coordinator. We need to go out there and spend big on a good DC. Or else that Gruden signing was a waste.

Needs in defense: Edge, UT, LB (another starting LB), FS

plays who need to grow: Max, Ferrell, Arnette, Mullen, Abram, Amik 

players who are solid  starters: Hankins, Kwit, Littleton( down year but has talent)

I don't think money is the problem here. The guy who was paid 100 million gets to build the staff. Guenther was his hand picked choice at DC.

Gruden has also oversaw and had lost say on roster development which has shown to be lackluster. How long before Mayock steps down if his voice shrinks more in the draft. 

So maybe the "waste" was throwing 100 million on a guy who hadn't coached in a decade and expecting him to have learned from his past mistakes. 

• Like 1