Patriots sign WR Antonio Brown hours after his release by Raiders

Humble_Beast

Im starting to think this was planned because after thinking about it, this does not seem like an NE move to make after all the crap AB has been doing the past few weeks. 

1. Big money player

2. Massive distraction player

3. Seemed like they had a decent WR corps already

4. Does AB really fit in a 'spread it around' offense?

5. His reaction isn't someone learning they've just lost 30 mil

44 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Now we know what he really meant when he wanted a different helmet. 9_9

He already knew the Pats were interested in him and that they have a Super Bowl level organization in place, while the Raiders most emphatically do not. So it was just a matter of coming up with any old excuse to throw childish tantrums until the grownups got sick of him and threw him out of the house.

The question is, will he fare any better in New England? I felt the same way about Randy Moss before he played for the Pats as I do about AB right now. If they could rehabilitate Moss' reputation, they can do it for almost anybody. All depends on whether he's willing to put in the work, use the bathroom without posting it on social media, and can handle the word "team" (as in "people on the face on the earth other than me") being introduced into his vocabulary.

This is how I feel about it. AB and his agent knew the Patriots were interested in trading for him, but the Steelers refused. So AB and his agent concocted a plan to cancer out of whatever team did trade for him, and then if he could sign with the Patriots he would because that could potentially screw over his old team big time. No tampering necessary. Just a childish player and his agent scheming to force their way out of Oakland.

P.S. Welcome AB!

• Like 4

Just now, childofpudding said:

This is how I feel about it. AB and his agent knew the Patriots were interested in trading for him, but the Steelers refused. So AB and his agent concocted a plan to cancer out of whatever team did trade for him, and then if he could sign with the Patriots he would because that could potentially screw over his old team big time. No tampering necessary. Just a childish player and his agent scheming to force their way out of Oakland.

P.S. Welcome AB!

It's too much risk. These people are only interesting on increasing contracts and money, not risk blowing it up entirely. To put this much trust in someone like Bill, who does not give a damn about the individual? I can't see it.

What is more likely is that we've seen an opportunity to bring in an elite player, risk-free, and if it doesn't work out - we cut him for 9Mil. No risk. For AB, it's a team that could win a SB....done deal. AB got lucky here.

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

It's too much risk. These people are only interesting on increasing contracts and money, not risk blowing it up entirely. To put this much trust in someone like Bill, who does not give a damn about the individual? I can't see it.

What is more likely is that we've seen an opportunity to bring in an elite player, risk-free, and if it doesn't work out - we cut him for 9Mil. No risk. For AB, it's a team that could win a SB....done deal. AB got lucky here.

On the flip side....you don't purposely sabotage on this scale without knowing that someone is willing to take the risk no matter how it happened.  If he did all of this without the knowledge that there was a golden parachute, that's one hell of a risk to take.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

On the flip side....you don't purposely sabotage on this scale without knowing that someone is willing to take the risk no matter how it happened.  If he did all of this without the knowledge that there was a golden parachute, that's one hell of a risk to take.

Are we saying that NE are the only team that would have picked him up after being cut. There would be no other teams calling?

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Are we saying that NE are the only team that would have picked him up after being cut. There would be no other teams calling?

Not NE specifically, but again like I said, you don't do something like this without a 100% guarantee that you got a landing spot. 

I want to add:

In the manner that he did it.  He did it by basically going nuts on a level never seen before. If he didn't know there was a guaranteed landing spot, that's one hell of a gamble to take.  Or do you not agree?

Edited by warfelg

What was so great, if you think about it was....

When Brown signed with the Raiders, there was no signing bonus, just guaranteed salary (once he was on the roster in week 1)

Rosenhaus/Brown set up the contract in such a way that the Raiders would have the ability to get out of it scott free. Had they gave him a 10 million or whatever signing bonus up front there would be dead money and/or the Raiders would have to attempt to actually get that money back from Brown once the check was already cashed. So, by design, they made this a really easy decision for the Raiders and to that end it helped them (Brown) get exactly what he wanted (Free Agency)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Can't believe the Patriots rewarded this guy. What a joke of an organization...  Even if they go on and win the Superbowl with the help of Brown is ridiculous. This guy needs to honestly sit a year for his safety and mental well being.

If the pats didn’t sign him another team would’ve.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Can't believe the Patriots rewarded this guy. What a joke of an organization...  Even if they go on and win the Superbowl with the help of Brown is ridiculous. This guy needs to honestly sit a year for his safety and mental well being.

Why should they care about dysfunction on another team? They aren’t rewarding him they are paying him for expected performance. 

• Like 2