Week 1 GDT - Green Bay Packers vs Seattle Seahawks

CWood21

If he gets sufficient time, which I think he will if Bulaga is healthy, I believe ARod can have some success against the vaunted Seahawks' secondary on Sunday.

While it is still generally cited as the best in the NFL, there is reason to think the Seattle secondary is not what it once was.

Earl Thomas, who has been the best player in that secondary for a couple of years now, is coming off a broken leg. While he may well return to his All-Pro level of production, this will be his first game back.  

However, it is with Chancellor & Sherman, who are both approaching 30, where I foresee a decline among the big 3. Chancellor has had a series of nagging injuries that seem to have sapped his athleticism though not his ability to hit. As for Sherman, he continues to pout (just last weekend he took to social media to decry some of the Seahawks' cuts) and was the subject of trade rumors in the offseason. Of course, being a dic* has not prevented him from playing at a high level in the past.

Even assuming these three members of the "Legion of Boom" are as good as ever, the other two CB positions are unsettled at best. Veteran and presumed starter Jeremy Lane is just not very good, while the third CB is an untested rookie in Griffin.

With all of ARod's weapons healthy and in place, I am optimistic that the Pack can put up 24 or more points on Sunday and with Seattle's offensive question marks that should enough to secure a crucial first game victory.

Tough first game for Green Bay. McCarthy's history is he des not get his starters ready enough in  preseason and that relates to a slow start in the regular season. The savior may be Rodgers who is so good at what he does he could and should be the difference. Slight edge to the Packers.

8 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Seattle is a really good football team. We have, at least the last half dozen years, been bad against good teams in openers. I am not optimistic about this one 

I agree on this one.

Wilson looked really good in the Pre Season and I feel our Oline will not live up to the expectations. .

18 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Seattle is a really good football team. We have, at least the last half dozen years, been bad against good teams in openers. I am not optimistic about this one 

Agree,  I hope MM doesn't come out and try to establish the run.  We should open with Ty in motion out of the backfield and a LB on  him.   He should have a James White-SB type game here.   Single back, 2 TE's, utilize drags,screens and dump offs.   Don't challenge Thomas early, and don't try smash mouth, pleazzze MM.  Lets hope they try to throw a bone to Fat Eddy, cause CC will run all over us.

I think this game comes down to our defense. If we can stop the run and get decent pressure on Wilson keep them to lots of 3 rd and longs we can pull out a win at home. Turf team on the road. AR needs to play well and MM needs to get him going early with nice easy stuff and quick hitters loosen up that D a bit with some Monty in the flats and such then over the top. We need to have some balance but leave the game in AR's hands when it counts.

Archived