Where Does 2019 Pre-Season Hype Rank?

NFL Network

Ok folks with the addition of AB now where does the preseason hype of 2019 rank in terms of previous seasons hype? I think the most hyped preseasons were 2007, 2017 & 2011 and we all know what those end results were. I guess you could put 2015 as a hyped season as well once it was determined that Tom's 4 game suspension was to be put on hold but injuries derailed them late in the season and cost them the #1 seed in Denver.

The only occasion where I think the Patriots truly lived up to preseason hype was 2004 where they were pretty much expected to win it all but many gave the Colts a shot at them, and then as the regular season went on the Steelers became the biggest threat b/c they were a higher seed.

The other SB winning years I don't think they had the hype going in as 2001 no SB hype existed, and 2003 was better but no one expected 14-2 and a SB win coming into the season. In 2014 they were in the midst of a decade long SB winning drought and were thought of as a playoff team but not a sure fire SB winning team and they were basically written off early in the regular season. The reason why 2016 wasn't a much hyped preseason was b/c Tom was suspended for 4 games and they couldn't be judged properly until after week 4 and fortunately they went 3-1. Even after Tom came back and they finished 14-2 they were still not considered a lock to win it all as the Steelers & Falcons were both given good odds at taking them down in the playoffs. In 2018 the Patriots hype was modest b/c Tom was 41 and coming off a SB loss the team was considered on the downside and it appeared that way until January when the team magically turned it around to win it all.

With that all being said we basically have to be weary of the years when the folks all wanted to hand us the SB trophy the same way the Warriors were all but handed the NBA championship every year they had Kevin Durant.

25 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The 16-0 hype in 2017 was real. And this team is better than that on paper 

I just think if we get a defense that dominated opponents like they did in 03 & 04 they can win the whole thing as those teams defense completely befuddled a Peyton Manning in his prime. Not sure if the 2019 defense can do that to a Patrick Mahomes though. 

I know the 2016 defense gave up the fewest points but they didn't play very many high scoring offenses in the regular season as the Steelers were minus Big Ben and the Seattle game was one of the 2 losses and the defense didn't look great on that night but the rest of the games were pretty solid as didn't lose again.

We just have to be careful not to believe too much of the hype b/c we know they don't need any hype whatsoever in order to win a SB.

2 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

I just think if we get a defense that dominated opponents like they did in 03 & 04 they can win the whole thing as those teams defense completely befuddled a Peyton Manning in his prime. Not sure if the 2019 defense can do that to a Patrick Mahomes though. 

I know the 2016 defense gave up the fewest points but they didn't play very many high scoring offenses in the regular season as the Steelers were minus Big Ben and the Seattle game was one of the 2 losses and the defense didn't look great on that night but the rest of the games were pretty solid as didn't lose again.

We just have to be careful not to believe too much of the hype b/c we know they don't need any hype whatsoever in order to win a SB.

I imagine you were telling anyone who listened about how those 03/04 defenses were "trash"

Just now, Deadpulse said:

I imagine you were telling anyone who listened about how those 03/04 defenses were "trash"

Actually man I was very confident in the defense in 03 & 04 as the only exception was the 04 team that was minus both Ty Law & Ty Pool for the last half of the season. I remember post 2004 during the 10 year SB winning drought I was begging for a defense like the 03 & 04 units but none was close those units with the exception of maybe 2014 & 2016 and I guess 2018 had a strong finish at the end.

24 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I'm gunna say 15-1.

And Brady probably retires after this or goes elsewhere?

I'm sure they will have those regular season stints when the sky is falling and then all of sudden they pull it together again to finish the regular season strong. They need the #1 seed this year b/c don't want to have to go to Arrowhead again as prefer to be at Gillette in Jan.

On 08/09/2019 at 12:51 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Was 2008 hypey? Must have been after a 18-1 season

That makes me depressed to this day. 2008 was a mediocre year, league wide. Brady would have stomped that schedule, and they would have walked to the Superbowl.

They beat the Cardinals by 40 points WITHOUT Brady.

• Like 2

This team is definitely better than the 2007 squad. The defense alone is vastly superior. If THIS defense played in that Super Bowl, the Patriots win that game easily. The 2019 running backs are also better than their 2007 forebears. As far as this season is concerned, the NFL is somewhat top-heavy. Last year’s Final Four should be the four best again this year barring injury, with the Ravens and Eagles being potential roadblocks as well.

I think as long as the Patriots don’t become too dependent on the deep-ball, they could be almost impossible to stop.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:29 AM, SBLIII said:

I did not buy the 2017 defense that's why I never thought we could have gone undefeated.

Tbh I think a lot of the 2017 hype started when it looked like a bunch of vets were going to come here on cheap deals, particularly Revis.  If Revis had come here and been the Revis we had in 2014 we win the SB easy that year.  There was just a bunch of hype that built during the off-season that didn’t go away even when it was clear that team had issues.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 12:39 PM, rfournier103 said:

This team is definitely better than the 2007 squad. The defense alone is vastly superior. If THIS defense played in that Super Bowl, the Patriots win that game easily. The 2019 running backs are also better than their 2007 forebears. As far as this season is concerned, the NFL is somewhat top-heavy. Last year’s Final Four should be the four best again this year barring injury, with the Ravens and Eagles being potential roadblocks as well.

I think as long as the Patriots don’t become too dependent on the deep-ball, they could be almost impossible to stop.

As of right now the Chiefs are the only competition in the AFC and home field will be the deciding factor come Jan. In the SB if they advance the NFC opponent is wide open as it can be either the Rams, Packers, Cowboys or Eagles. I dropped the Saints b/c of injury to Brees as they won't get a bye even if he comes back to get them to the playoffs.

Just got to fix up offensive line and should be fine.