Draft watch 2020

resilient part 2

On 2/10/2020 at 5:55 PM, canadaluvsdallas said:

His tape is Aaron Donald level of good.

This is lofty praise. While the production numbers may be on par with one another, but Epenesa isn't anywhere near Donald in terms of athletic ability and really don't expect him to test off the charts at the combine.  I think Cam Jordan/Justin Smith are probably more fitting comparisons. His passion

1 hour ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Yeah hes that good. I can chalk it up to 2 things about why you havent heard all this yet.

1. He doesn't look physically imposing. (Muscle definition or physique). But hes huge.  natural weight of 6'5 higher end of 200. He can easily break 310 playing weight after one full NFL off-season.

2. Draft season full scale evaluations haven't started. Once it's all processed , teams would be stupid to leave the kid to drop to us.

I really hope Espenesa drops to us. But it's a pipe dream at this point. He's as natural as a pass rusher as Randy Gregory is, but he doesn't come with the same issues.

If @WizardHawk wants to chime in more about him. 

I really want to see how he tests at combine. I'm not expecting his numbers to blow anyone away, though they aren't going to be bad for a 285lb man.  I do agree though, there is way too much to like about his overall game and versatility. With AJE test numbers aren't going to tell the story. He;s simply a good football player. Dallas will have to have a little luck on their side to see AJE at #17. 

Edited by WizardHawk

I see us with big needs at DT, CB, and safety.  I think we can sit at 17 and address safety.  Can you see Dallas moving up to target CB or DT?  There's a lot of variables at play - cost to move up, what we may do in free agency, and how the draftees do at the combine.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Northland said:

I see us with big needs at DT, CB, and safety.  I think we can sit at 17 and address safety.  Can you see Dallas moving up to target CB or DT?  There's a lot of variables at play - cost to move up, what we may do in free agency, and how the draftees do at the combine.  Thoughts?

Really think a trade back is more likely unless we really load up on mid-tier free agents to viably fill those spots (as opposed to the 1-2 year cheapo deals we normally do for veteran FAs). If we find a way to get 4 or 5 legit starters in free agency plus bring back Cobb and Jarwin, then maybe you talk yourself into moving up for a really big fish in the draft (Brown, Simmons, Jeudy) should one fall.

Gonna be a fascinating offseason for sure.

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Really think a trade back is more likely unless we really load up on mid-tier free agents to viably fill those spots (as opposed to the 1-2 year cheapo deals we normally do for veteran FAs). If we find a way to get 4 or 5 legit starters in free agency plus bring back Cobb and Jarwin, then maybe you talk yourself into moving up for a really big fish in the draft (Brown, Simmons, Jeudy) should one fall.

Gonna be a fascinating offseason for sure.

I'm off work due to a stupid injury and I'm surfing.  Reading rumors  (and taking them with a big grain of salt) that Jerry wants to move up and his target is Okudah.  That would cost a lot.  Regardless it got me thinking about scenarios.

Regarding free agency after we sign our own I don't know how much we will have left to find 4 or 5 legit starters.  We can get creative with contracts but that seems to be a tall order.

5 hours ago, Northland said:

Never trade up for a DB. Ever.

4 hours ago, Northland said:

I'm off work due to a stupid injury and I'm surfing.  Reading rumors  (and taking them with a big grain of salt) that Jerry wants to move up and his target is Okudah.  That would cost a lot.  Regardless it got me thinking about scenarios.

Regarding free agency after we sign our own I don't know how much we will have left to find 4 or 5 legit starters.  We can get creative with contracts but that seems to be a tall order.

That would be an insanely stupid thing to do. 

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Never trade up for a DB. Ever.

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

That would be an insanely stupid thing to do. 

I don't disagree. But, for the sake of argument, if certain chips were to fall into place...Dallas signs 3 of their 4 big FA (Dak/Coop/Quinn) and is able to address DT and SS with not great, but good players....I could see a situation where Okudah becomes a very enticing option. If he falls to say #8,  Dallas doesn't have to sell the farm to move up and they are getting  the clear cut #1 CB....at least atm anyway.  I believe losing Jones is going to sting more than we think. 

59 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

That’s different. Simmons has elite level talent as both a LB and pass rusher. And, if we were to consider moving back to a 3-4, he’d fit right in.

Simmons is a different beast.  I think he will test off the charts and that combined with his on the field ability will have him go high.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I don't disagree. But, for the sake of argument, if certain chips were to fall into place...Dallas signs 3 of their 4 big FA (Dak/Coop/Quinn) and is able to address DT and SS with not great, but good players....I could see a situation where Okudah becomes a very enticing option. If he falls to say #8,  Dallas doesn't have to sell the farm to move up and they are getting  the clear cut #1 CB....at least atm anyway.  I believe losing Jones is going to sting more than we think. 

I agree re Jones.  I said it on another post that we are really discounting what he means to the team.  Take a look at our secondary the way it stands today and take Jones away.  It is not pretty.  He's a higher priority for me.  Quinn worries me.  I have absolutely nothing quantitative to back this up but I think he gets his money and his production is going to drop.  It's a gut feel nothing more but we need Quinn.  Productive pass rushing DE's don't grow on trees. And then there is Amari.  Terrible road production last year.  It's a WR rich draft.  Do we let Amari walk, draft a WR and trust McCarthy to overcome Amari leaving?  

• Like 1