Draft watch 2020

resilient part 2

44 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What's your plan? Williams at LG, Looney at C, and a premium pick battling with McGovern and Redmond to be our top backup guard?

I don't really see how drafting a guard makes much sense.

It doesn’t. 

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

What's your plan? Williams at LG, Looney at C, and a premium pick battling with McGovern and Redmond to be our top backup guard?

I don't really see how drafting a guard makes much sense.

I consider Williams to be a fail and wanted Looney to play LG. But if we can't replace Fred then Looney goes to C and we need to get a legitimate LG as a replacement. It looks like the OG crop is better than the C crop this year.

29 minutes ago, TVScout said:

I consider Williams to be a fail and wanted Looney to play LG. But if we can't replace Fred then Looney goes to C and we need to get a legitimate LG as a replacement. It looks like the OG crop is better than the C crop this year.

I would  have Williams, Looney and McGovern battle it out during camp. If Looney looks good at C and McGovern at G, then make Williams your backup at OT/OG.

2 hours ago, CAPJ said:

I would  have Williams, Looney and McGovern battle it out during camp. If Looney looks good at C and McGovern at G, then make Williams your backup at OT/OG.

That is certainly viable but we really need to draft another O-line per SOP. Losing Fred makes it more urgent. I would not object to picking John Simpson in the 2nd. 

4 hours ago, TVScout said:

Williams is such a bust that he's not even a viable primary backup in your eyes?

You and I are not even in the same ballpark for how we view this.

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Williams is such a bust that he's not even a viable primary backup in your eyes?

As an OG. He lacks core strength to anchor. Gets bull rushed and sometimes rag dolled. His future is at LT after Tyron retires.

I'm not playing out scenarios on the OL re moving this guy to start here, and plugging in someone else there.  We aren't there.  Here's what I know:

Frederick, Fleming, and Sua Filo are gone.  All Pro Center and your two primary backups at T and G.

Williams is coming off of surgery.  By all reports he should be ready to go for the start of the season.

We are lucky to have Looney.  He filled in quite well two years ago for Frederick.  He is not fredbeard but few would be.  He was surprisingly solid though.

McGovern has a great chance to establish himself.  It sucks the way his opportunity has come about but it is up to him to make the most of it.

I think we will be addressing the OL in the draft sooner/higher than we thought.  If the CB's and DL we like are gone by 17 it will be an interesting call.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

how good/deep is this draft for O-linemen?? 

For OT's it's very deep and talented.  A number of tackles will go first round.  Not as much fandare about the centers and guards

Edited by Northland