Draft watch 2020

resilient part 2

I feel like DE and CB are pretty comparable as needs, arguably our Top 2 after the McCoy, Poe and Dix signings, though you could still make cases for DT and S. It's just more likely Chaisson will be there at 17 than Henderson. However, some of our likely Day 2 CB targets seem unlikely to get to 51, so I could see us taking a harder look at trades this year. I don't think things are going to line up well for us if we want to go defense and don't like Chaisson.

Just now, matt79511 said:

I feel like DE and CB are pretty comparable as needs, arguably our Top 2 after the McCoy, Poe and Dix signings, though you could still make cases for DT and S. It's just more likely Chaisson will be there at 17 than Henderson. However, some of our likely Day 2 CB targets seem unlikely to get to 51, so I could see us taking a harder look at trades this year. I don't think things are going to line up well for us if we want to go defense and don't like Chaisson.

I kinda think that our short list for the 17th pick (barring a fluke fall from a top player) is Kinlaw, Chaisson, Henderson, Baun, or if one of the top 3 WRs (Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs) falls.

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I kinda think that our short list for the 17th pick (barring a fluke fall from a top player) is Kinlaw, Chaisson, Henderson, Baun, or if one of the top 3 WRs (Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs) falls.

I'm dubious we'd take actually Ruggs that high, given that he's kind of a projection. Our FO is probably too conservative to take a receiver that high you're banking on being more productive in the NFL than he was in college. Lamb and Jeudy are a different story but I don't see them getting past AZ/OAK/DEN etc., otherwise sign me up

I feel like a trade down to the late 20's for someone like Mims, Reagor, Fulton, Diggs, Delpit or McKinney that gets you another Top 100 pick would be good process, but can't argue a blue-chip DL either if they feel like there is one. We could theoretically still bring in Clowney or Griffen after the draft, or at least Mike Daniels

• Like 1

4 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I want to see a defender like the players you mentioned but I feel if one of the WR's will fall we will go that route.  Adding one of those WR's to Cooper and Gallup would be nasty.

2 hours ago, Northland said:

I want to see a defender like the players you mentioned but I feel if one of the WR's will fall we will go that route.  Adding one of those WR's to Cooper and Gallup would be nasty.

No doubt. If Kinlaw is gone and either Lamb or Jeudy fall, it would be nearly impossible to pass up.

22 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Except it is. All of those guys on the CB group have routinely competed for the starting No.2 spot over the past couple of years. They have shown on numerous occasions to have starting potential and while they may not be all-stars they are solid. 

DLaw is the only one at the DE position right now that can be counted on to produce but even he is coming off a single digit sack season. It's imperative that we take pressure off the secondary with getting pressure on the QB.

So you tell me with a group as you say is as bad as the DE group is how is Henderson or even Byron Jones would have helped that group when the QB has all day to throw?>

You have two different arguments here:

1. The pass rush needs an upgrade - Yes! I wholeheartedly agree.
  2. The defensive ends are a significantly worse group than the CBs - I don't agree with this. There is 1 true star out of both groups, and that is Lawrence. Tyrone Crawford has been a really solid player in his career. Randy Gregory, when he played in 2018, was a really strong pass rusher. I agree that there are a lot of concerns still (see my answer on #1). But there are major concerns in the secondary, too. 

21 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Do you view Baun on a similar tier to the other 6 names you mentioned?

I don't. And I also think it's exceedingly likely that one of those 6 is sitting there for us at #17. That's why Baun isn't high on my radar at the moment. But I'm open to being convinced.

22 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You have two different arguments here:

1. The pass rush needs an upgrade - Yes! I wholeheartedly agree.
  2. The defensive ends are a significantly worse group than the CBs - I don't agree with this. There is 1 true star out of both groups, and that is Lawrence. Tyrone Crawford has been a really solid player in his career. Randy Gregory, when he played in 2018, was a really strong pass rusher. I agree that there are a lot of concerns still (see my answer on #1). But there are major concerns in the secondary, too. 

If we address the concerns in the secondary without being able to address the ones on the line. It wont matter the improvements we made to the secondary. 

18 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Do you view Baun on a similar tier to the other 6 names you mentioned?

I don't. And I also think it's exceedingly likely that one of those 6 is sitting there for us at #17. That's why Baun isn't high on my radar at the moment. But I'm open to being convinced.

I think he should be on our radar. He's better than what most people think and is squarely in the "second tier" of prospects outside of the 12-15 true 1st round prospects.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 4:39 PM, plan9misfit said:

Chaisson worries me. One year wonder.   Usually due to lack of work ethic or injury history.

13 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Chaisson worries me. One year wonder.   Usually due to lack of work ethic or injury history.

More like a lack of football experience. It's not an issue with work ethic or injuries. He just has less football experience than most players.

15 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

yes and no.. could it be a year earlier he played with nagging injuries? or maybe there was a upperclassman playing some of his snaps?

Did DeMarcus Ware have a great 2 years or more?? Just wondering..

Edited by resilient part 2

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

yes and no.. could it be a year earlier he played with nagging injuries? or maybe there was a upperclassman playing some of his snaps?

Did DeMarcus Ware have a great 2 years or more?? Just wondering..

Did Deacon Jones have a great 2 years in college? Why not go back to the leather helmet days.