Draft watch 2020

resilient part 2

12 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Excuse me, 13.5. The 7.00 3-cone wasn't super surprising to me, because you see the quick first step and he bends well. That's how I saw him getting a lot of his sacks - beat the OT to the outside, dip underneath, and finish. He has a good 2-handed swipe to keep his chest clean, but I don't think he has any counter moves when he doesn't win right away. I thought his motor was poor - saw him taking plays off. Towards the end of the season he started getting a gut - his body type against FSU was much better than it was against Washington. I think he defends the run pretty well, both in terms of setting the edge and crossing the face of blockers. Again, I don't hate the player, I'm just not seeing the traits of a top 50 player. To me, he's more top 75. But I'd take Lewis, Okwara, Taylor, and Uche ahead of him.

See I think he is terrible against the run. I agree he isn't a highmotor player and I did see him taking plays off.  I also agree he needs an NFL weight training program 

42 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Interesting, what made you dislike him against the run?

If the run play is away from him he basically gives up. He either gives up or he simply doesn't have the speed to chase. If he is on the play side he seems to be engulfed. He doesn't set the edge very strong.

Imo it all goes back to his motor. He wants to rush the passer be he doesn't seem interested in sticking his face in the fan against the run. I think having a twitched up high motor helps you in defending the run more than it does rushing the passer. You don't have to be fiery, to finesse your way to a sack every game or so. But you don't see to many nonchalant players contributing as enforcers against the run.

Maybe playing next to Dlaw would help that, but I definitely like him for his pass rushing skills. DLaw didn't get to the QB much last year but we all know he is running hot all the time. He is fiery. He has a non stop motor, and graded out as one of the leagues best run defenders accordingly 

26 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

If the run play is away from him he basically gives up. He either gives up or he simply doesn't have the speed to chase. If he is on the play side he seems to be engulfed. He doesn't set the edge very strong.

Imo it all goes back to his motor. He wants to rush the passer be he doesn't seem interested in sticking his face in the fan against the run. I think having a twitched up high motor helps you in defending the run more than it does rushing the passer. You don't have to be fiery, to finesse your way to a sack every game or so. But you don't see to many nonchalant players contributing as enforcers against the run.

Maybe playing next to Dlaw would help that, but I definitely like him for his pass rushing skills. DLaw didn't get to the QB much last year but we all know he is running hot all the time. He is fiery. He has a non stop motor, and graded out as one of the leagues best run defenders accordingly 

Definitely agree about runs going away from him, zero backside pursuit which is a shame. The more I think about it the more I like your Barnett comparison, although I think Barnett was much more advanced with his hands coming out of Tennessee. He's got a pretty high floor, but I think he has a low ceiling too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Based on what? We've heard about Henderson from the Cowboys. We haven't heard didley on Chaisson.

Im not totally opposed, but I would like to know what info they are basing this on.

Dane Brugler. He's a pretty well informed NFL insider specifically more so on the NFL Draft & Prospects side.

Im having to prep myself of us downgrading at CB or DE because we let both of our guys go. But I guess it's better then not address it at all. But either way unless something major happens we are gonna be more shorthanded this season then in years past in terms of pass rush and coverage.

39 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Im having to prep myself of us downgrading at CB or DE because we let both of our guys go. But I guess it's better then not address it at all. But either way unless something major happens we are gonna be more shorthanded this season then in years past in terms of pass rush and coverage.

Certainly can't count on Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory for several reasons. First because they aren't allowed to play in the NFL yet. Certainly there was hope but SJ was going off on how big an impact RG would be before last year. He said they were confident he would play, and of course he never saw a snap in 2019. So idk how much SJ really knows. Secondly, because they have missed so much time, even if they can come back you never know what you will get.

BUT having said all that, you and I both know there is a very real chance that 1 or both of those guys comes back in beast mode. If that happens our DE weakness is suddenly a strength.

I'd also like to point out that everyone was pretty happy with the way RG played in 2018 right? I'll remind you that he played 1 game the year before due to suspension. So Gregory has proven that he could miss a year and come at least once.

Aldon Smith is a bigger question mark because hes been out longer, but by all accounts he is still a beast