Draft watch 2020

resilient part 2

17 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Epenesa not having a good combine thus far. 17 reps and a 5.1 x 40. 

Edit: 1.81 x 10yd split and 7.54 x 3 cone. 

Those numbers are going to hurt  his draft stock most likely. 

His draft stock took a major blow. Those numbers are horrendous. 

Was he only good by going up against inferior opponents? He has Taco written all over him now. 

19 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

His draft stock took a major blow. Those numbers are horrendous. 

Was he only good by going up against inferior opponents? He has Taco written all over him now. 

I think you have to take some of the metrics with a grain of salt. Epenesa was never going to test really well for what he's expected to be, if that makes any sense. I've seen him labeled as an EDGE defender. That's just not who he.  His RAS score as an EDGE has very poor, but his RAS at DE is very good. I'll have to dig up MathBomb's post on Twitter for that info. 

That said, I do believe he was expected to do better than he did. With the emphasis on athleticism in today''s game, I can see a fall out of the 1st round.  

His best game of the season in '19 was vs. USC's Austin Jackson where he got 2.5 sacks and another 1.5 TFL. He dominated Jackson.  iirc, he also logged sack vs Jon Runyun last year. So his best games, probably came against the best competition.

I wouldn't categorize him on Charlton's level just yet. Epenesa is better from a technical standpoint imo.

2 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

The hype of production...I expected more. Especially when some chose to invoke Donald's name when comparing him. 

In other news, with our desire to let Jones walk - may I take this moment to become a Stan Account for Henderson in the first. 

I would absolutely despise taking a corner in the 1st as of right now. Why not just re-sign Jones or bring in a vet CB via FA?

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Because it saves us ~10-15m/year in cap and nets us a 3rd round pick. 

Still...it's annoying. 

Though...depending on how free agency plays out, I may not hate it.

26 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Depending on how free agency plays out, we may not get that third round pick

That would be poor roster management. We should be getting a 3rd for Jones and a 4th for Quinn. Not ensuring that happens is dumb. Its not hard, you can sign as many FA's as you want - - you just have to wait until June. Handshake deals with any FA we want. 

Just now, Calvert28 said:

It's still dumb as hell. The new corner in no way guaranteed to be as good as Jones was. 

Jones was a very good #2 corner. But he didnt even win the LCB spot. He was also a mediocre safety.

Where the heck did this narrative come from that he is irreplaceable? One all pro year and we are acting like he is Deion Sanders? Really?

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Jones was a very good #2 corner. But he didnt even win the LCB spot. He was also a mediocre safety.

Where the heck did this narrative come from that he is irreplaceable? One all pro year and we are acting like he is Deion Sanders? Really?

A No.2? Really? He has shut down some of the games best receivers are you freaking kidding me with this No.2 stuff? If Jones is a No.2 CB then Dak is a backup QB benefiting from the talent around him still. 

As a rule of thumb, I 100% believe the following:

1. Byron Jones is easily replaceable. 

2. Zeke is easily replaceable.

3. DLAW is not easily replaceable, but it could be done for less than the $20m he is getting a year (Look at Quinn, or what the Packers did).

4. Dak is going to cost too damn much because we waited. But there is not other option and its going to happen.

5. We should have also extended Cooper early rather than late - - but the rumors are he wouldnt sign until Julio. So not really our fault on this one. 

If we continue to sign bad contracts, we are a stupid franchise.