Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CWood21

Josh Rosen [QB; UCLA]

Recommended Posts

Josh Rosen is one of the most polarizing players that is eligible in the 2018 draft.  Based on his comments this past offseason and his play, there is a wide variety of opinions on him.  What's your guys' thoughts on him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen the A&M/UCLA game, just the highlights but you see the good and the bad with him.  He had some big boy throws against A&M though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I haven't seen the A&M/UCLA game, just the highlights but you see the good and the bad with him.  He had some big boy throws against A&M though.

The good more than outweighs the bad though. I love this kid he's my favourite and my top QB in the draft this year in a huge QB year. He's got the "it" factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kyle21121 said:

The good more than outweighs the bad though. I love this kid he's my favourite and my top QB in the draft this year in a huge QB year. He's got the "it" factor. 

There's some really interesting differences in the game, and it'll be interesting to see how he develops over the course of the season.  Looked like a completely different QB in the 4th quarter than he did the first three quarters.  Makes a few gambles that he probably shouldn't, but has some big time throws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

There's some really interesting differences in the game, and it'll be interesting to see how he develops over the course of the season.  Looked like a completely different QB in the 4th quarter than he did the first three quarters.  Makes a few gambles that he probably shouldn't, but has some big time throws.

Oh yea that's kind of the way he is but also I believe this he's playing under his 3rd OC in 3 years at UCLA (correct me if I'm wrong) and also not the best of talent on offense. I sense he gets frustrated at times and will gamble but when he gets into the zone he is unbelievable with all the throws he can make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be fun to watch him this year. Got to think if he lives up to his potential he goes high in the 2018 draft and gives a team their answer at QB for the next decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like him as a QB at the college level, less so at the NFL level. That said I don't think he'll be a complete bust at the NFL level. He looks like someone who can play for a while in the NFL, but I'm not sure he'll be a 15 year starter in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw an Eli Manning comparison for him, and on the field I can see it (at times).  Overall though, I'm not a fan of his.  He makes too many throws that should be interceptions and off his back foot.  I think he'll be a starting QB in the NFL at some point but one that the fanbase will get tired of...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This most recent game will make a lot of people love Rosen as a QB.  However A&M basically game UCLA the game.  If they would have just covered the TE correctly none of this would have happened.  Gave him a complete free release off the line of scrimmage and played prevent defense it seemed the entire 4th quarter and just let him consistently catch the football and get first downs with little done to stop it.  Not having Donovan Wilson really hurt as well with him getting injured, then it was only Watts back there in that secondary really.  A&M was so close to ending the game and had multiple chances to do so.  Was it Rosen winning the game, no I don't think so, more like a defenses that was tired and lost motivation and an offense who could not throw the ball with a backup QB in.  

 

Josh Rosen from the get go I was not a fan of his body language and how he carried himself on the football field.  Is he an alpha, I doubt it, not impressed with his competitiveness or toughness really.  Has some solid fundamentals to work with. Good enough kid but seems kind of lackadaisical and not sure professional football players would like him as a leader of a team or not.  Now if he does this against Stanford and Washington that could change things, but again I think Stanford will beat the hell out of him and Washington will pick him off multiple times.  A lot of these QBs sure do get a ton of hype that is for sure, which is a great thing then can see if they crack or not.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

This most recent game will make a lot of people love Rosen as a QB.  However A&M basically game UCLA the game.  If they would have just covered the TE correctly none of this would have happened.  Gave him a complete free release off the line of scrimmage and played prevent defense it seemed the entire 4th quarter and just let him consistently catch the football and get first downs with little done to stop it.  Not having Donovan Wilson really hurt as well with him getting injured, then it was only Watts back there in that secondary really.  A&M was so close to ending the game and had multiple chances to do so.  Was it Rosen winning the game, no I don't think so, more like a defenses that was tired and lost motivation and an offense who could not throw the ball with a backup QB in.

There's no reason to discredit Rosen for what he did, he led his team back and they won the game.  You can say that A&M lost the game, but Rosen made the throws when they counted.  He utilized his TE down the seam, which is something that will likely happen at the next level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Josh Rosen from the get go I was not a fan of his body language and how he carried himself on the football field.  Is he an alpha, I doubt it, not impressed with his competitiveness or toughness really.  Has some solid fundamentals to work with. Good enough kid but seems kind of lackadaisical and not sure professional football players would like him as a leader of a team or not.  Now if he does this against Stanford and Washington that could change things, but again I think Stanford will beat the hell out of him and Washington will pick him off multiple times.  A lot of these QBs sure do get a ton of hype that is for sure, which is a great thing then can see if they crack or not.  

I'm not a huge supporter of Rosen, really of any specific QB this up coming draft, just getting a feel for them all currently, but I have absolutely no idea how you watched the first half of that game, then the second half and say he's no alpha, or that his competitiveness and toughness were lacking haha. He got the snot kicked out of him in the first half and picked himself up every time or limped off and not once did I see him hanging his head like Cam or ripping into his teammats. He wasn't Brady shrieking up and down the side line but man, luck, poor execution by A&M or what have you that was a gutsy showing. Kid fell to his knee where his teammates circled him when the clock hit zero. Not quite sure what his performance from the intangibles aspects and what he showed have to do with who was lining up from him across the ball but I guess. 

Like I said, I'm not this guys biggest supporter nor do I dislike him but your knock Rosen seems a bit all over the place and a tad biased.

Edited by Fureys49ers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Like I said, I'm not this guys biggest supporter nor do I dislike him but your knock Rosen seems a bit all over the place and a tad biased.

I feel like Rosen has one of those personalities you either love or you hate.  There really isn't much of an in between with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'm not a huge supporter of Rosen, really of any specific QB this up coming draft, just getting a feel from them all currently, but I have absolutely no idea how you watched the first half of that game, then the second half and say he's no alpha, or that his competitiveness and toughness were lacking haha. He wasn't Brady shrieking up and down the side line but man, luck, poor execution by A&M or what have you that was a gutsy showing. Kid fell to his knee where his teammates circled him when the clock hit zero. Not quite sure what his performance from the intangibles aspects and what he showed have to do with who was lining up from him across the ball but I guess. 

Like I said, I'm not this guys biggest supporter nor do I dislike him but your knock Rosen seems a bit all over the place and a tad biased.

I trust what I see, and the best one game of his entire college career does not change the years previous in my book, will see how he does as the entire season goes on.  See if he can keep it up, I doubt it.   Just because you win a game the other team absolute blew it does not mean you are an alpha male or charismatic leader when games previous you did not show that.  He seems very surfer dude aka Jared Goff to me.  Sure it is a judgement on his body language but that is the vibe I get watching him play.  

 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

There's no reason to discredit Rosen for what he did, he led his team back and they won the game.  You can say that A&M lost the game, but Rosen made the throws when they counted.  He utilized his TE down the seam, which is something that will likely happen at the next level.

Maybe but A&M was up 21 to 6 against Ole Miss last year and lost.  Also was up 21 to 7 against Tennessee last year, that became 28 to 14 later and almost blew that game but barely pulled it out in the end.  Sure Rosen made some good throws, A&M almost missed some throws on offense, and hope you are successful when you attempt almost 60 passes in a freaking game.  Sure throwing to the TE down the seam does happen in the NFL, rarely is the TE not covered as often as he was in that game.  

 

I was more impressed with Wilson the TE and how he caught the ball than how Rosen threw the ball.  Take that TE out and Rosen's success in that game is greatly different.  Again will see what he does the rest of the year, not ready to call him the next Peyton Manning or anything.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone is really calling him the next Peyton Manning haha, and if they are that might be a bit much. Again you're kind of all over the place and assuming things as if they are definites, he plays in California and seems a little more laid back than some QBs therefor isn't a leader and doesn't care as much. There's Mariota's of the world for every Winston. "Take that TE out and Rosens success is greatly different"...? How do you figure if A&M blew the whole second half and gave the game away, by that understanding the next TE up would have done the same no? As far as what we've seen from him in earlier years, he's a kid who started from minute one of stepping foot onto campus. Let's cut him a little break if it took him a while to be the savior of UCLA football the media deemed him. If this game was any indication of his progression in the leadership, charisma department looks like he's developing there. I've found that scouting players becomes very difficult when everything is definitive.

A lot of football left for sure and this season will be very telling for all of these QB prospects but in my eyes it's ok to give these guys props when they have a good game or game of their collegiate careers. Players do tend to develop throughout their college careers, after all these guys are very young men coming into their own. Maybe you just aren't a fan of him but damn haha.

Edited by Fureys49ers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...