Matt Stafford Vs Cam Newton Who Is the better QB overall?

thedorchannel

Matt Stafford or Cam Newton?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better QB?

• Matt Stafford
    • Cam Newton

44 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Best retired after not being able to come back from concussions and LeShoure wasn't the same after snapping his Achilles.

Putting in work with Newton, I imagine, changes that, though.

Who's arguing one player over another? You made it seem like Newton has always played with scrubs when that clearly wasn't the case. 

Olsen wasn't traded because he was a bust. He was their best pass catcher at the time and they clearly viewed it is a mistake in hindsight.

I don't care about Lamar Jackson.

1. Newton wouldn’t fix the concussions, but Best was a small guy, if Newton could draw some defensive attention away from him, it becomes harder to hit him square. It’s possible that his career goes a bit longer. But even if that aspect doesn’t change, the point is he would have more room to work as a runner to make plays.

2. Newton hasn’t played with scrubs, never said that, but it’s a far cry less offensive talent than what Stafford has had. He’s just finally starting to get a better OL and pass catchers. Sure he had a defense before, but he also didn’t have the same level of offense. Which considering the 10% difference in wins, that’s my point. Switch teams and you trade defense for offensive improvements. He gets a better OL, he gets a generation receiving talent, he gets a good #2 receiver playing as a #2 receiver. The point of this thread is arguing which player is better, thus why I am arguing as to which player is better. 😂

3. You don’t trade a franchise TE and former first round pick for just a 3rd round pick after 4 years. The Bears thought they were selling high. I clearly remember some Bears friends from college (and there were probably some on this forum- the older version anyway) that argued that they were happy they got rid of Olsen in that trade.

They also felt like they won that trade with the Panthers since Olsen was injury prone. He had a big year his 3rd year only to keep missing time with injuries. He wasn’t a “talent bust” but they thought given another year, he would have another injury prone season with below average production and be an “injury bust”.

The reason for the “second guessing” came only because Olsen went on to reach a 1000 yard season and PB appearance in just his second season with the Panthers. Hindsight is 20/20. Had he crapped the bed with the Panthers and flamed out, I’m sure they wouldn’t have “viewed it as a mistake in hindsight.”

4. Yeah, that was an awesome rebuttal to the point I was making. 😆

Edited by diamondbull424

Let's not act like Stafford has merely been a victim of his defense being bad in the playoffs.  In the Saints game?  Absolutely, but in the other two games:

In the 2017 playoff game against the Seahawks, the Seahawks had 10 points heading into the 4th quarter.  They only hit 26 points in the 4th because the Lions offense literally couldn't do anything.  But the opportunity was there.  The Cowboys had 14 points entering the 4th Q in the playoff game in 2015.  Those games were winnable.  The Lions offense just didn't do anything.

Lions average defensive ranking in points allowed since 2013 is 15th in the league

Panthers average defensive ranking in points allowed since 2013 is 12th (inflated by two top 6 rankings, otherwise the defenses have been about on par in terms of points allowed)

Only used 2013 because it was the first year Panthers made the playoffs.  FWIW Panthers were 18th in 2012 and 27th in 2011; Lions were 27th and 23rd respectively.  So again, barely any different.

The top five leading receivers in yardage for the Panthers since Newton's debut:

Greg Olsen (2011-, 5902 yards)

Steve Smith (2011-2013, 3313 yards)

Kelvin Benjamin (LOL) (2014-2017, 2424 yards)

Devin Funchess (LOL) (2015-2018, 2233 yards)

Ted Ginn (Semi-LOL since he isn't terrible but he was our #1 for 2 years) (2013-2016, 20147 yards)

The top five leading receivers in yardage for the Lions since Stafford's debut:

Calvin Johnson (2011-2015, 7428 yards)

Golden Tate (2014-2018, 4741 yards)

Marvin Jones (2016-2019, 2595 yards)

Theo Riddick (2013-2018, 2238 yards)

Eric Ebron (2014-2017, 2070 yards)

Nobody is taking the Panthers receiving group over the Lions.  Defenses have been about on par.  And while I can't speak on Stafford's offensive lines admittedly, the ones in Carolina have almost always been terrible.  Stafford has had his chances to win in the playoffs.

So let's not try to act like they are on uneven playing fields.  Stafford's had opportunities to have similar level of success / highs.  He just hasn't.  And I'm not saying that means he's worse than Newton, you can debate either way.  But acting like he's been in a completely worse situation isn't accurate.  

Personally, I would say Newton and Stafford on average are about the same.  But Newton has highs that Stafford simply doesn't.  I'd much rather play A+ Stafford than A+ Newton.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

Actually, I was just commenting on the ridiculous takes used against Stafford/for Newton. The fields aren't uneven, in fact, are pretty comparable when taken as a whole. Most just point to Megatron and call it a day. 

And I was going to respond to the Olsen thing but it's not worth it. Dude wanted to be traded immediately after Martz was hired, Martz said dude didn't fit scheme after a year in system, dude was then traded by Angelo.

This isn't rocket science.

10 hours ago, Danger said:

So what is the current excuse for Cam?

That guy playing for the Panthers this season isn’t Cam Newton, it’s an imposter. Cam Newton on 4th and 5 inches, takes the snap and launches up over the defense to easily get that first down and potentially even get that touchdown.

That guy playing right now is Cam’s physically broken doppelgänger.

But seriously. He didn’t look like that as early as last season. So if the comparison is Stafford vs THAT guy... it’s Stafford. But if it’s which guy has been better for their career to this point than I stick with Cam.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

That guy playing for the Panthers this season isn’t Cam Newton, it’s an imposter. Cam Newton on 4th and 5 inches, takes the snap and launches up over the defense to easily get that first down and potentially even get that touchdown.

That guy playing right now is Cam’s physically broken doppelgänger.

But seriously. He didn’t look like that as early as last season. So if the comparison is Stafford vs THAT guy... it’s Stafford. But if it’s which guy has been better for their career to this point than I stick with Cam.

His weapons around him are getting better but his level of play is declining and quickly. The first half of last season he wasn't bad, but he might be done. Aside from the 2nd half of the 2015 season and first half of last season, he's been average to below average his whole career.

Cam has to run to be an effective QB because he is not a great passer.

This version of Cam does not run and we don't know if he will get better in a few weeks or after the bye or not at all this year.

Stafford is a better QB at this moment.

Stafford is also a far better dresser.

I've asked three times on 3 different threads for people to tell me Stafford's limitations, and I've not got anything back.

Stafford is underrated. He's a good QB. Cam is on the decline, and apparently can't do the things that made him dangerous.

Stafford, and it's not THAT close right now

• Like 1