Around the NFL Thread

beardown3231

I find it interesting that while NFL defenses are quicker and more athletic than ever, the league still places a premium on size for offensive linemen. Seemingly every week I watch some 6’8” giant try to keep up with a Leonard Floyd type - do NFL people really think these big guys stand a chance?

NFL people want to blame college offenses for their problems but looking at the physical mismatches I’m not confused by the state of OL play at all.

53 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I find it interesting that while NFL defenses are quicker and more athletic than ever, the league still places a premium on size for offensive linemen. Seemingly every week I watch some 6’8” giant try to keep up with a Leonard Floyd type - do NFL people really think these big guys stand a chance?

NFL people want to blame college offenses for their problems but looking at the physical mismatches I’m not confused by the state of OL play at all.

Idk Floyd was invisible out there against a mammoth. He seems to struggle with size and power more than he does athletic OTs, though that may just be recent events speaking rather than a fact, Idk. 

If they chip the guy into the monster tjen the massive OTs work fine imo. Sharpe had a fantastic game vs us this Sunday. He isn't fast enough to keep up with these guys in a footrace but once he gets his hands in someone they're done, much like Brown after his horrible Combine testing. Plus unlike with guys like Leno youre rarely going to be able to bullrush them, so power guys like Watt can't just run through them with consistent success. In the run game it is the same thing, bigger wall to try and get around, though it really limits them with pulling, second level reach blocks, etc.

Of course that is a slightly oversimplified view of it due to technique, effort, etc that all factor in but I see why they do it. OL coaches are being handed bigger guys then they need to teach them the techniques and use that size and strength to their advantage. Right now we have a really athletic OL (excluding the corpse formerly known as Kyle Long) and they have been dogs**t. 

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Are you f***ing kidding me?!?!

I'm changing my son to QB, FML.

Ya Daniel has been committing robbery ever since he joined the NFL.  I mean if you're going to be paid that much as an average backup then at least be able to bring that coaching/mentoring element to young Mitchy boy.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 2:06 PM, Sugashane said:

Idk Floyd was invisible out there against a mammoth. He seems to struggle with size and power more than he does athletic OTs, though that may just be recent events speaking rather than a fact, Idk. 

Said it in the other thread--pretty much the biggest problem of a 3-4 defense right there. (Combined with the D-linemen not being able to combat size and power with quickness).

As long as the Bears run a 3-4, these sort of things will continue to happen. Not regularly, thank goodness. 

14 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

If either of Nick Foles or Cam Newton becomes available for a mid round pick - do you make a deal? Foles has experience in this offense.

You have to think Jacksonville will keep Foles. Minshew has been nothing special and even if they wanted to trade Foles, they would have to send a ton of money or take a much lesser return. 

Note: the Kyle Allen story is why keeping Tyler Bray around is nonsense. They should be developing QB's constantly, not wasting time with Bray.

I've never been ultra impressed by Cam Newton. Since their Super Bowl appearance he's been nothing more than average. I'd rather have Allen honestly, but I think they'll hang onto both for another year.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

If either of Nick Foles or Cam Newton becomes available for a mid round pick - do you make a deal? Foles has experience in this offense.

Foles is a definite no for me. Low ceiling and unless you want to eat $12.5 mil you're stuck with him for 3 years. 

Newton you could cut for only $2 mil next year, and while he isn't impressive he might be a bit better than Tru atm. I'd still say no though I think.  He has no knowledge of the system or rapport with the receivers.  If this was a highly accurate QB I'd give it a go but accuracy has always been an issue for him. 

1 minute ago, malagabears said:

My observation for today:

On any given Sunday we can beat either the Saints, Chiefs, or Rams with a healthy D and the O playing to it's capability.

Depending on your definition of "capability" I'd say "yeah no ****." If the offense scores 24 every week they'll finish the year 9-2 or 10-1.