Around the NFL Thread

beardown3231

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Finally, Tennessee has benched Mariota. Sometimes I wonder if he knew what a forward pass was. Between (allegedly) loving Mariota and taking Trubisky over Mahomes & Watson, the optimist in me is wearing off and I'm starting to hope Pace won't be choosing the next "franchise" QB.

That people thought Mariota was a slam-dunk safe pick always baffled me, but I never thought he was this bad. He's been really mishandled and seems to be getting worse.

7 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

If either of Nick Foles or Cam Newton becomes available for a mid round pick - do you make a deal? Foles has experience in this offense.

How can Foles have experience in this offense when the offense has no identity as of now.

11 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

How can Foles have experience in this offense when the offense has no identity as of now.

He might know the hypothetical system due to Pederson coming from the Reid tree, but you're right. There isn't a real system involved here, but at least the calls would be easier to transition to.

12 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

That people thought Mariota was a slam-dunk safe pick always baffled me, but I never thought he was this bad. He's been really mishandled and seems to be getting worse.

I didn't like him or Winston but liked him substantially more than Winston. I figured he could at least be a system player. He can be a solid back up at least, though he will likely be a poor starter on bad teams for most of the next 5 years. I'm assuming people will give up on the starter mindset for him by then.  

20 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't think Tampa's in a rush to trade their 3rd year, ultra athletic TE.

I mean... It's basically the Greg Olson situation all over again...

New coach is a moron who doesn't use one of his best players and (potentially) lets him walk.

The problem is what it would cost us to get him.... Not sure we can afford to lose even one of the 2nd rounders, when we could/should looking hard at potentially dumping both 2nds to move up for another QB, or could use both 2nds for some OL help.

20 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Finally, Tennessee has benched Mariota. Sometimes I wonder if he knew what a forward pass was. Between (allegedly) loving Mariota and taking Trubisky over Mahomes & Watson, the optimist in me is wearing off and I'm starting to hope Pace won't be choosing the next "franchise" QB.

I'm not sure Pace will even draft another QB until they make a determination on what they will do with Mitch which I believe won't be until after the 2020 season and before his 5th year option would kick in.

Unless he plays like complete and utter garbage the rest of this season then I very much doubt that Mitch will not be given the chance to start in 2020.

Pace and Nagy will probably not want to use next season as a developmental year for a rookie QB when they need all the draft resources they can to beef up other key areas like OL, TE, CB etc. and don't need to go through another period of QB growing pains while the defense is in win now mode.

I expect that Chase Daniel will not be re-signed and we'll see a more capable veteran backup QB/borderline starter brought in to push Mitch who I think will be on a very short leash heading into next season unless he shows massive growth between now and then.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I mean... It's basically the Greg Olson situation all over again...

New coach is a moron who doesn't use one of his best players and (potentially) lets him walk.

The problem is what it would cost us to get him.... Not sure we can afford to lose even one of the 2nd rounders, when we could/should looking hard at potentially dumping both 2nds to move up for another QB, or could use both 2nds for some OL help.

I would give up one of our 2nds for OJ Howard because Bears TEs suck and need to be upgraded plus you likely aren't going to find a better talent at either of those picks in next years draft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I expect that Chase Daniel will not be re-signed and we'll see a more capable veteran backup QB/borderline starter brought in to push Mitch who I think will be on a very short leash heading into next season unless he shows massive growth between now and then.

That's an even more expensive plan than keeping Daniel, though. It certainly could happen that way, but I'd be shocked if they didn't draft a guy to do just what you're describing there. 

On 10/13/2019 at 6:13 PM, beardown3231 said:

I don't think Tampa's in a rush to trade their 3rd year, ultra athletic TE.

They may not, but Winston sure doesn't throw to him often. Thats probably more of Ariren's offense.