Around the NFL Thread

beardown3231

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Man, QBs are dropping like flies along with some other top starters.

This season may end up as a battle of attrition between the two healthiest teams.

That's what I said in my positive thread.  

Bubba Gump Shrimp baby.   Last team standing wins.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Really hoping Antonio Brown never plays again now

My guess is that is where this is headed.  I was shocked he didnt go on the exempt list last week.  The rape accuser has only listed $75k in compensatory damages, which will probably barely cover the legal fees.  It's not a cash grab.  The SI source has never sought any financial compensation other than what she was owed for her artwork.  

To top it all off, the dude has lost out on $30M to wind up making a lil over 150K on 2019.  That doesnt even cover the property tax on his 3 homes.  

The XFL official twitter said they have no interest in signing Brown

This is about as far a fall from grace as it gets.

Okay watched first half of Titans Jaguars.  I didn't think state of NFL officiating could get worse after last week.  I was wrong.

Titans got hosed again and again.  Awful awful calls.  They sap your strength and will to play.   Unwatchable.  Didn't even watch second half.  

I don't know if I can continue to be an NFL fan if this is what games are going to be like.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Okay watched first half of Titans Jaguars.  I didn't think state of NFL officiating could get worse after last week.  I was wrong.

Titans got hosed again and again.  Awful awful calls.  They sap your strength and will to play.   Unwatchable.  Didn't even watch second half.  

I don't know if I can continue to be an NFL fan if this is what games are going to be like.  

Usually I disregard these comments due to it being "refs vs my team" kind of nonsense. But you're right.  This year has absolutely been ATROCIOUS across the board. I'm almost at the point of adding 2 or 3 refs and having them exclusively focus on a more limited group of things. 

But then do you end up further lowering the average quality of each ref crew? Idk. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Usually I disregard these comments due to it being "refs vs my team" kind of nonsense. But you're right.  This year has absolutely been ATROCIOUS across the board. I'm almost at the point of adding 2 or 3 refs and having them exclusively focus on a more limited group of things. 

But then do you end up further lowering the average quality of each ref crew? Idk. 

I think the problems are multiple.  

They are being graded on each play across board so they feel like they have to make every call to get a good grade.

But for decades minor fouls away from a play have been ignored and it just works better that way.

Landing on a QB is an impossible standard.  You can't not land on a QB.  Idea was not to press your weight on them purposely which is what DL were trained to do for years.  It isn't that hard a difference to me, but apparently it is.  They are just calling fouls on 50% of sacks with no difference between virtually any of them.  It's so random and changing outcomes.

For about 15 - 20 years holding inside the frame has been allowable and taught. If you grab outside frame or defender gets to your side you have to let go.  Now it can be anything and or nothing.  The NFL should never ever say they are emphasizing anything.  It just screws everything up. 

Between holding, roughing and PI the game just sucks right now officiating wise.  About 40% of the fouls should not be being called and they are big game changing penalties.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

A high amount of calls in the first part of the season are nothing new. Refs are still learning. Things will balance out by mid-season. 

1 hour ago, yomyyo said:

Watching Mahomes play helps me to better understand how Houston and Portland felt after the '84 NBA draft :(

Houston at least got Olajuwon, not MJ but a top all-time player. lol

Watson's bounce pass/fumble was one of the funniest plays I've seen in a while.