Around the NFL Thread

beardown3231

1 hour ago, Damikeeeee said:

I was just giving you ****.  You're right so far. I'll still take Fournette though. 

Just realized Fournette also had 76 receptions this season. 

I know, there's nothing personal with anything on here. The Bo Jackson, AP and Hershel Walker comp annoyed me predraft, that's what mostly brings my issues with him.

Yeah, Minshrew really had to lean on him in the passing game. The crazy part is he was constantly passblocking too. Chark is their only legit WR and even he shouldn't be a 1 yet. Westbrook is a guy I like but he is a 3 at best. Just a mess of a receiving corps and their TE situation is as bad as ours. 

• Like 1

In my mind this year and last is year of officials deciding games. 

The old adage that it balances out is no longer true. 

3rd and 20, no momentum,  illegal tackle and O gets first down and 15 and player maybe gets ejected.  O Scores and game turns completely around. 

Seems to happen again and again. Happens to Ohio St.  Seen it in a dozen NFL games last couple of years. 

Holding calls on O line and defensive holding/pass interference have no continuity.  Same exact action is sometimes a penalty sometimes not.  Every one nearly as impactful as a turnover. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I know, there's nothing personal with anything on here. The Bo Jackson, AP and Hershel Walker comp annoyed me predraft, that's what mostly brings my issues with him.

Yeah, Minshrew really had to lean on him in the passing game. The crazy part is he was constantly passblocking too. Chark is their only legit WR and even he shouldn't be a 1 yet. Westbrook is a guy I like but he is a 3 at best. Just a mess of a receiving corps and their TE situation is as bad as ours. 

There OL is really bad too outside LG.  As bad as ours. I love Fournette and the Jags are my local game where I live so I focus on him. He's good. He's not what I thought he was going to be though.  I would love him here for 10-15 carries a game with Montgomery getting 10 +/- and Cohen getting 5 touches. 

Just reviewing some run/pass numbers from this season:

1. The Bears were pass-centric but not to an extreme. They ranked 11th in pass % and favored the pass slightly more (about .5 STDEVS) than the average NFL team.
  2. Rushing attempts and scoring were weakly correlated.
  3. Rushing attempts and winning were more strongly correlated than rushing attempts and scoring.

Pat Shurmur might get a look here.

Has experience with Reid and Nagy from Philly years.

Pace interviewed him for the HC job before Nagy got it.

I remember him being a good OC for the Vikes only 3 years ago with Keenum at QB.

I could totally see something like Shurmur as the new OC, aka QB coach under Nagy, and Keenum signed to compete with Mitch. 

Don't @ me

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Pat Shurmur might get a look here.

Has experience with Reid and Nagy from Philly years.

Pace interviewed him for the HC job before Nagy got it.

I remember him being a good OC for the Vikes only 3 years ago with Keenum at QB.

I could totally see something like Shurmur as the new OC, aka QB coach under Nagy, and Keenum signed to compete with Mitch. 

Don't @ me

It makes a lot of sense but Nagy likely will have to give up play-calling responsibilities.

Based on what he's done the past two seasons, I don't think I'd have a problem with that.

Shurmur would be a good hire at OC, awful HC but a damn good OC. It does make you think that with Nagy calling plays, how many experienced OCs are going to be interested in the job?

Can't remember if I saw it mentioned on here or on Twitter, but another name to look at for the OC job - KC QB coach Mike Kafka. Nagy worked with him in Philly and KC, he's a Chicago native, and that Mahomes guy he's been working with seems to be doing pretty ok. If I was a betting man, I'd be putting my money on Kafka.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G08 said:

It makes a lot of sense but Nagy likely will have to give up play-calling responsibilities.

Based on what he's done the past two seasons, I don't think I'd have a problem with that.

Was reading an article last night. Can't remember which one. But apparently the OC in our system has a fairly big part in the run game scheme. Just for that alone the switch is worth it. Anything with this run game from this year should be scrubbed from this team. 

Edited by GOGRIESE

36 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Was reading an article last night. Can't remember which one. But apparently the OC in our system has a fairly big part in the run game scheme. Just for that alone the switch is worth it. Anything with this run game from this year should be scrubbed from this team. 

This seasons fairly complete and thorough shiftiness does make elements of next year's plan easy: do the opposite of 2019