Week 1 Play by Play

AlexGreen#20

Play 1: Kickoff

Trevor Davis takes a knee

No Grade

+++

Play 2: 1st and 10 Aaron Jones run for no gain

Marcedes Lewis starts out lined up outside and motions into the line on the left. Danny Vitale gets motioned from a straight I to an off-set I to the left side. As he's motioning, the Bears linebackers start cheating left. 

Marcedes Lewis gets blown up and pushed into the backfield. This forces Vitale into the decision, does he block the ILB shooting the gap like assigned or does he peel off and help Lewis who is at risk of giving up a TFL. He ends up helping Lewis, Personally I think that was the wrong decision, but I also have the benefit of hindsight.

I also think that motioning Vitale to the side where Lewis is lined up is definitely giving away what you're doing and is bad coaching. Not gonna knock LaFleur here, but I also don't love it.

-1 Lewis

a6W1p8Z.png

+++

Play 3: 2nd and 10. Aaron Jones catch on a screen pass for no gain

Not much you can do on a screen pass where the defense smells it out. Linsley was a step slow getting out to block and the LB made the tackle.

-.5 Linsley

+++

Play 4: 3rd and 10 Rodgers gets sacked for a loss of 10 and Taylor gets called for holding.

Robertson-Harris humiliated Taylor. Stay out of 3rd and 10 and the Bears pressure package.

-1 Taylor.

+++

Play 5: 53 yard punt for a return of 11.

Scott outkicked his coverage a bit here. You shouldn't be giving up that return yardage, but net 42 saves him from a negative.

+++

Play 6: 1st and 10. Defensive Holding on Kenny Clark

Kenny Clark murdered the Bears Center and got called for Defensive Holding. It was not Defensive Holding. It was not close. It was an ***-kicking.

No grade

+++

Play 7: 1st and 10. Run for a gain of 5.

Lowry gets blown off the ball by a double team. when the Guard goes to block Martinez, Lowry is able to slip back into the play. Clark gets rid of the center and both hit the back three yards past the LOS leading to a gain of 5. 

Lowry -.5

+++

Play 8 2nd and 5. Pass tipped at the line by Preston Smith.

Preston Smith recognizes this is a quick pass and knocks it down at the line.

+1 P. Smith

+++

Play 9 3rd and 5. Trubisky scrambles for 7 yards.

Packers bring 4 and play zone behind it, Lowry gets pushed out of his containment lane and Trubisky runs through it.

-.5 Lowry.

+++

Play 10 1st and 10. Incomplete pass to the left.

Trubisky rolls out to the left. Z puts a little pressure on him, and coverage is good on the back end between Amos, Tramon, and Tony Brown.

+.5 Tramon +.5 Z. Smith

+++

Play 11 2nd and 10. Trubisky keep on a zone read for a gain of 1.

Preston Smith forces Trubisky to keep on the zone read. Trubisky avoids Z. Smith for a forced missed tackle, but Amos does a nice job reading, coming down into the box, and making a play.

-.5 Z. Smith, +.5 Amos

+++

Play 12 3rd and 9. Blake Martinez sack

Bears blow a blitz pickup bad. Martinez goes right through the A-Gap pretty much untouched and gets Trubisky on the ground.

+.5 Martinez

+++

Play 13 4th and 15. Bears punt down to the GB 12. 

Trevor Davis Fair Catch on the 12.

No grade

+++

Play 14 1st and 10. Incomplete short right to Graham

Packers run a short out route to Graham, with MVS going vertical next to him trying to create a natural rub. HHCD read this fantastically and was going to be in position to make a tackle on Graham except that Rodgers threw it at Graham's feet.

-.5 Rodgers.

+++

Play 15 2nd and 10. Aaron Jones run for no gain.

This play didn't make a lot of sense to me. The line is blocking like it's a run to the right, Graham is going to go across the formation from right to left to cut Mack, and for some reason Jones is going to follow him. I believe this is Jones' screw up. If it was a run to the left Bakhtiari got worked.

-.5 Jones.

+++

Play 16 3rd and 10. Rodgers gets sacked.

Kahlil Mack killed Billy Turner, Rodgers does a nice job of getting out of his grasp, but he steps up out of the protection of his pocket to do it and Leonard comes inside for the sack.

-1 Turner

+++

Play 17 4th and 17. 42 yard punt, returned for 6 yards.

Scott has a mediocre punt. Tony Brown gets flagged for intentionally going out of bounds for 5 yards.

-.5 Scott. -1 Brown

+++

Play 18 1st and 10. Bears run for 4 yards.

Lowry once again gets combo'd cleanly to Martinez, but Clark turns it back out of the gap. The back goes to the outside, Preston is sorta out of position after jamming the TE but also forces it outside. Kevin King makes a really nice open field tackle.

+.5 King.

+++

Play 19 2nd and 6. Bears run for 7 yards.

I think Clark got reached here. Not enough people in the box to be playing this defense. It was either he or Lowry, and I don't know. Collinsworth seem to think it's Clark, so I'm deferring to him.

-.5 Clark

+++

Play 20 1st and 10. Bears gain of 1.

Exact same play as the last time down to alignment except Lowry held his ground this time and turned it back. Clark makes another really nice play and shuts down both A gaps.

+.5 Clark.

+++

Play 21 1st and 10. Bears gain of 4.

Bears are just iso-blocking Lowry and daring him to make a play.

-.5 Lowry.

+++

Play 22 3rd and 5. Bears complete a pass short for 1 yard.

Jaire Alexander cheats this thing like a madman and makes an awesome play here. Trubisky double clutches this because he sees the motion and the delay costs him. He should have thrown it. Ends up seeing pressure from Z. Smith and Amos on a blitz as well. Ends up making the throw late and Alexander makes the tackle.

+1 Alexander

+++

Play 23 FG Made

+++

Play 24 Bears Kick out of bounds on the KO.

+++

Play 25 1st and 10 Incomplete on the slant to Davante.

Aaron does something wrong here. I think he pulled this out of a run call and decided to throw the hard slant to Adams despite Adam's guy being up in press man coverage. It almost looks like he gives up on the throw then because he sorta side arm throws it at his feet. This was a weird play.

-1 Rodgers

+++

Play 26 2nd and 10. 5 yard pass complete to Adams. 

Rodgers sees some nice soft off coverage and he and Adams connect for the free yards.

No grade.

+++

Play 27 3rd and 5. Incomplete pass to Adams.

Rodgers puts this ball too far outside for Adams. 

-.5 Rodgers.

+++

Play 28 47 yard net punt to the CHI 8 with no return. Nice Punt

Will Redmond booked this thing down the field to the opposite side, got held, and still forced the fair catch. Helluva play by Redmond.

+.5 Scott. +.5 Redmond

+++

Play 29 1st and 10. Bears run for one yard.

Clark, Adams, and Z. Smith all stand up their guys and there's nowhere for the back to go.

+.5 Clark +.5 Adams +.5 Z. Smith

+++

Play 30 2nd and 9. Bears check down for a 4 yard completion.

Alexander and Greene both tackle allowing no YAC.

No Grade

+++

Play 31 3rd and 4. 

Thank God Mitch Trubisky sucks because Robinson roasted Tony Brown off the line. Instead Trubisky checks down to Patterson who Tramon interferes with.

-.5 Brown. -.5 Tramon

+++

Play 32 1st and 10 Bears completion for 7 yards.

Trubisky is trying to go to Montgomery on a flare screen, but Fackrell runs right with him. Instead Trubisky checks it down to the TE on a little 5 yard curl that Brown makes the tackle on.

+.5 Fackrell

+++

Play 33 2nd and 4. Bears run for 5 yards.

Lowry can't pick a gap which holds up Martinez allowing a first down. Martinez needs to force the issue and be more aggressive here.

-.5 Martinez -.5 Lowry

+++

Play 34 1st and 10. Incomplete pass.

Trubisky tries to throw a 10 yard curl to Gabriel. Alexnder is all over it.

+1 Alexander.

+++

Play 35 2nd and 10. 1 yard gain.

Kenny Clark stalemates a pure double and Martinez goes in untouched for the stop.

+.5 Clark

+++

1st Quarter Totals:

Alexander +2

P. Smith +1

Z. Smith +1

Clark +1

Kevin King +.5

Redmond +.5

M. Adams +.5

Fackrell +.5

Tramon 0

Martinez 0

Jk Scott 0

Linsley -.5

Jones -.5

Lewis -1

Taylor -1

Turner -1

Tony Brown -1.5

Rodgers -2

Lowry -2

• Like 10

There was a 2nd play in this game that mightve been an RPO that Aaron just flubbed. Like the one to Davante, he went half a step to the run turned around and just kindve glitched with the ball. Only this time he got murdered instead of throwing the ball away.  It's a bunch right with only Tonyan? I think on the left in line. He gets mugged by Kahlil at the LOS when Aaron turns around. I dont know what's going on with those reads but they have to be buried with Chicago. Both should've just went to the run.

• Like 1

As always, it's incredibly appreciated that you put this kinda work in.  I always think of doing something similar and run from the effort of it, so cheers to you.  I'm really interested to see your breakdowns of the rest of the game when you get to it.

I don't really have much to add from my own watch.  There's maybe a 0.5 point here and there I'd do differently, but mostly just differences in how much responsibility I attribute on a play or two.  My biggest take away is that maybe an away night game against likely the #1 defense in the league is not the best time to be working the kinks of your offense out.  Rodgers looked rusty and was terrible throwing off-platform, but I don't think it's a long-term concern yet.  Line got whipped in a tough environment by a brutal opponent, that'll happen.  They held up when they needed, and Bulaga especially should have put any concerns that he's not still an All-Pro caliber pass protector to bed.  Some time to gel and they'll be a very good line this year, although hard not to see Jenkins starting at one of the guard spots by the end of the year.  I would assume Taylor's, given what they have invested in Turner.  Receivers were sort of tough to grade given the situation, just not enough chances to do much of anything with.  Don't feel right making a judgement on them right now.  I like the TE group more than I expected to, although they aren't much as blockers.  Lewis is supposed to be a blocker but he looked pretty pedestrian out there.  He'll have easier match-ups down the road, and at worst he's more or less average so I'm still glad to have him, but not sure I'd play him that much if his blocking doesn't improve.  

I'm curious to see how the offense evolves as the year goes.  I get the plan, get the defense flowing left and right and attack with vertical and counter-action stuff, but it's easy to see how badly a lot of it goes when the outside zone isn't working.  As good as Rodgers is, I don't see this as the kind of offense well-adapted to having him just throw the team into rhythm.  It's not something he's particularly good at anyway, he's always been more streaky and he doesn't take the short stuff often enough to establish a real rhythm to the offense these days.  But on top of that, when you're running as many 1-2, 2-1, and 2-2 sets as the Packers did this game you're just not getting that many receivers on the field and you limit what you can do downfield.  Getting off-schedule is a real problem for this philosophy, and Aaron's a guy who gets off-schedule often trying to do some wildin.  This isn't an offensive scheme that's going to break big plays when he goes scramble drill because of all the slow guys on the field, and it's not an offense well-suited to converting 3rd and long when he takes a sack because he felt the hot route was being droll and refused to throw to them.  I realize this has been talked about ad nauseum by everyone since LeFleur's hire, but I just kinda hoped they'd have worked up some magic solution.  I think there were a lot of things that worked in the offense, and I still have plenty of hope that they'll find a set-up that plays well with everyone's strengths and weaknesses.  Just not sure that was it.

That being said, I'm not the soberest I've ever been so I'm pretty excited to see if this comment makes any sense in the morning.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

As always, it's incredibly appreciated that you put this kinda work in.  I always think of doing something similar and run from the effort of it, so cheers to you.  I'm really interested to see your breakdowns of the rest of the game when you get to it.

I don't really have much to add from my own watch.  There's maybe a 0.5 point here and there I'd do differently, but mostly just differences in how much responsibility I attribute on a play or two.  My biggest take away is that maybe an away night game against likely the #1 defense in the league is not the best time to be working the kinks of your offense out.  Rodgers looked rusty and was terrible throwing off-platform, but I don't think it's a long-term concern yet.  Line got whipped in a tough environment by a brutal opponent, that'll happen.  They held up when they needed, and Bulaga especially should have put any concerns that he's not still an All-Pro caliber pass protector to bed.  Some time to gel and they'll be a very good line this year, although hard not to see Jenkins starting at one of the guard spots by the end of the year.  I would assume Taylor's, given what they have invested in Turner.  Receivers were sort of tough to grade given the situation, just not enough chances to do much of anything with.  Don't feel right making a judgement on them right now.  I like the TE group more than I expected to, although they aren't much as blockers.  Lewis is supposed to be a blocker but he looked pretty pedestrian out there.  He'll have easier match-ups down the road, and at worst he's more or less average so I'm still glad to have him, but not sure I'd play him that much if his blocking doesn't improve.  

I'm curious to see how the offense evolves as the year goes.  I get the plan, get the defense flowing left and right and attack with vertical and counter-action stuff, but it's easy to see how badly a lot of it goes when the outside zone isn't working.  As good as Rodgers is, I don't see this as the kind of offense well-adapted to having him just throw the team into rhythm.  It's not something he's particularly good at anyway, he's always been more streaky and he doesn't take the short stuff often enough to establish a real rhythm to the offense these days.  But on top of that, when you're running as many 1-2, 2-1, and 2-2 sets as the Packers did this game you're just not getting that many receivers on the field and you limit what you can do downfield.  Getting off-schedule is a real problem for this philosophy, and Aaron's a guy who gets off-schedule often trying to do some wildin.  This isn't an offensive scheme that's going to break big plays when he goes scramble drill because of all the slow guys on the field, and it's not an offense well-suited to converting 3rd and long when he takes a sack because he felt the hot route was being droll and refused to throw to them.  I realize this has been talked about ad nauseum by everyone since LeFleur's hire, but I just kinda hoped they'd have worked up some magic solution.  I think there were a lot of things that worked in the offense, and I still have plenty of hope that they'll find a set-up that plays well with everyone's strengths and weaknesses.  Just not sure that was it.

That being said, I'm not the soberest I've ever been so I'm pretty excited to see if this comment makes any sense in the morning.

Very well put