BDL 2019 Week 1 - Hungary Hippos @ Berlin Blitzkrieg

SirA1

Hungary Hippos @ Berlin Blitzkrieg  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Hungary Hippos
    • Berlin Blitzkrieg

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2019 at 04:01 AM

BDL 2019 Week 1

Match:  Hungary Hippos @ Berlin Blitzkrieg

Away Owner: @PR

Home Owner: @Ragnarok

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Edited by SirA1

Hungary Hippos:

QB - Jared Goff
RB - Leonard Fournette
WR - Larry Fitzgerald
WR - Mohamed Sanu
WR - Taylor Gabriel
TE - Greg Olsen
LT - Nate Solder
LG - Ali Marpet
C - Graham Glasglow
RG - Kelechi Osemele
RT - Jack Conklin

RB - Ito Smith
RB - Darrell Henderson
WR - DK Metcalf
WR - Andy Isabella
TE - TJ Hockenson
TE - Jack Doyle
OL - Brian Winters
OL - Will Richardson

DE - Brandon Graham
DT - A'Shawn Robinson
DT - Jonathan Allen
DE - Mario Addison
LB - Lorenzo Alexander
LB - Luke Kuechly
CB - Aqib Talib
FS - Harrison Smith
SS - Jabrill Peppers
CB - Jimmy Smith
CB - Johnathan Joseph

DE - Terell Suggs
DE - Cameron Wake
DT - Danny Shelton
LB - Haason Reddick
LB - Kyzir White
CB - Eli Apple
CB - Dre Kirkpatrick
S - Patrick Chung

Berlin Blitzkrieg

Offense
QB - Tom Brady
RB - Derrius Guice
Slot - Chris Godwin
WR - Kenny Golladay
WR - Will Fuller
TE - Hunter Henry
LT - Kolton Miller
LG - Ron Leary
C - Corey Linsley
RG - Alex Cappa
RT - Taylor Moton

RB - Aaron Jones
WR - MVS
WR - Marquise Brown
TE - Irv Smith Jr.
OT - Eric Fisher
OC - Ryan Kalil

Defense
DE - Justin Houston
DT - Leonard Williams
DT - Brandon Williams
DE - Demarcus Lawrence
LB - Tremaine Edmunds
LB - Rashaan Evans
CB - Gareon Conley
CB - Byron Murphy
NB/S - Damontae Kazee
NB/S - Lamarcus Joyner
S - Juan Thornhill

DE - Markus Golden
DE - Lorenzo Carter
DE - Za’Darius Smith
INT - Mike Daniels
INT - Quinnen Williams
LB - Ja’whaun Bentley
CB - Deandre Baker
CB - Mike Hilton

Edited by SirA1

Hungary Hippos

Offense: 
The best way to battle Berlin's defense is a balanced attack via the West Coast Offense. Today's running game will feature Fournette, Henderson and Smith. Fournette is the bruiser back. Henderson and Smith are both high speed, high agility backs that will be using their speed and elusiveness to find gaps. The only downs we plan on running is when we have a favorable defensive front (not stacked) or at goal line and short distance. It is not in our favor to run against a stacked box. To help pull more defenders out, we will utilize the Jet Sweep via Gabriel to pull more defenders out.  Additionally, our formation will be condensed which will shorten the edge of the defense for outside runs. This will also allow the receivers to down-block on the defensive end, and ensure Goff can roll out of the QB with more time to throw as well as allow the back to get to the outside easier. When the defense adjusts by shifting the DE outside of the receiver, we will hit the large running gap for the offense down the middle. 

Condensed formations also allow for picks and crossing routes that can't be stopped in press coverage. This will allow free releases off the line if Berlin tries to play press man. Additionally to continue to keep Berlin's defense off balance we plan to use misdirection: 1. Via blocking pattern which splits the oline into pass and run blocking, 2. using handoffs, end-around and bubble screens to catch his defense out of position. 

Early in the passing game we will focus on the shorter passes to our possession receivers Fitzgerald and Sanu. By having the running game and short game passes down, it will allow for play action to be utilized to hit out targets down the field, especially burners Gabriel and Metcalf (when he rotates in). Another feature we will be utilizing is our 1 and 2 TE sets with Olsen and Hockenson to test Berlin's LBing core, as well as Henderson and Smith to see if the LB/Safety tandems can keep up with the elusive nature of our scat backs. 

Defense:
Tom Brady is the focus of the defense. Jones and Guice are both bruiser backs, Miller and Foreman are lost for the year and Clement is seeing nearly 0 time with the Eagles. We do not see them as viable threats in the passing game. In order to stop Brady, we are going to keep our d-line pass rush fresh. This year in addition to starters Graham and Addison, we have added Suggs and Wake to keep the pressure up on the edge of the defense, while Shelton can sub in as a run stuffer from time to time. We look to abuse a middling offensive line especially on the line's left side where Eric Fisher struggled last year. A situational fifth rusher will be done from the CB/LB/S to keep pressure on Brady and force him to keep one of his players in to help block. 

To help our defensive blitz hit home, we will be playing press man coverage against Golladay, Fuller and Godwin. By jamming at the line, it extends the time available for our pass rush to overcome their oline and get to the QB. Talib will pull Golladay, Joseph will have Fuller and Smith will be on Godwin, four WR sets will have Kirkpatrick and full spreads will have Apple. Kuechly will have TE coverage in single TE, in double TE a CB will come off in favor of Kyzir White, which will allow for Alexander to cover the other TE.  

Alexander in 3 WR formations will have RB duties just in case. Smith will be patrolling deep looking for a released WR while Peppers plays up at LB level and help contain the running game and blitz on passing downs.

In short yardage downs, Shelton will come in for Robinson for better run defense. 

Berlin Blitzkrieg

Offense
3 WR - Our main set for the game, we are going to test the CBs for Hungary.  Brady will split time under center and in the shotgun.  We want to spread them out and get the ball out of Brady’s hands quickly.  Fuller will be used to take the top off the defense, Godwin and Henry will give Brady quicker options, and Golladay will be targeted frequently on every route.  We think any of these guys can win a one-on-one matchup and Brady can find that matchup quickly.

We will typically use Henry in-line and will chip the DE if needed, but we trust our OTs to not need help.  We are going to use Henry on a number of out routes so that the LB or safety that has to get out to the sideline which will be difficult for them.  We will also run him up the seam for chunk plays.

If Hungary doesn’t put a safety deep over Fuller, we will throw it deep.  Fuller has elite deep ball skills and we might as well use them until he gets hurt.

Godwin is going to be used as a safety blanket for Brady.  Look for him to run a number of quick routes to give Brady an option if he gets pressured.  Godwin can go deep though, so he will run some deeper routes if the NB gets complacent.

Golladay will run every route and Brady will throw him 50-50 balls.  No matter who is on Golladay, we will make sure he gets his targets.

We are going to keep the offense balanced, running with both Guice and Jones.  We will rotate them in equally to keep them fresh.  Hungary has a good defensive front, but our offensive line can handle them.  We at least want to run enough so that Hungary has to respect our play action.  Both RBs will work every down as we trust them in the passing game.  We will run them everywhere, both inside and out.

2 TE - We will pull one of our WRs and bring in Irv Smith.  He will get moved all over the field to give us an advantage.  We will line him up as a traditional TE, as an H-back, and split him out into the slot depending on where Brady wants him that particular play.  Looks for about ten plays from this set as it will also be our goalline set.

4 WR - Marquise Brown comes in for Hunter and gives us another speed option.  Maybe 7 plays in this set.

5 WR - MVS comes in for the RB.  This will be used maybe 5 times and will strain their secondary even more.

Defense

2 TE - Our defensive line is deep and talented.  We are going to rotate all our guys in pretty equally to keep them fresh.  Hungary has a good OL, but our guys got this.  In the two TE set, we will pull our listed NB for another DL.  We will shut down their run game that only has Fournette and make them one dimensional.

Gareon plays RCB and we trust him to handle anyone just fine.  Byron will play LCB.  Juan Thornhill will be playing middle shaded to Murphy’s side to help out.  Kazee will play up in the box to help out with the TEs, taking Olsen in coverage.  Tremaine will take the other TE in coverage.  Evans spies Fournette, but we aren’t worried about him in the run game.

3 WR - We expect Hungary to use more 2 TE sets, but we will be ready for a 3 WR set.  This would use the listed defense.  Joyner and Kazee can both play safety and NB.  They will rotate that position to keep the offense guessing.  One will take the slot WR and the other takes the TE in man.  Juan plays deep middle.  Gareon plays his side.  Byron plays his side.

Tremaine and Rashaan spy Fournette to shut him down.

Other Sets - If they bring in four WRs, Evans comes out and Hilton comes into the slot.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1

This one for me was tough as well I really like the experience versus the youth but at the end of the day I couldn't ignore 1 major factor and that is Tom Brady who finds a way to win football games .

I feel like in this situation, despite crediting experience overall in another matchup, Tom Brady is gonna get the most out of the youth. Edge goes to Blitzkreig, 27-17.

• Like 1

I think Hungary takes this one. I think that their D line would shut down any sort of run game from Berlin and I definitely think Brady keeps this close but with a weaker WR corps Hungary has the depth in the secondary and DL to keep up with (and probably do better than) Berlin with the sub packages they employ.

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

I think Hungary takes this one. I think that their D line would shut down any sort of run game from Berlin and I definitely think Brady keeps this close but with a weaker WR corps Hungary has the depth in the secondary and DL to keep up with (and probably do better than) Berlin with the sub packages they employ.

How is my WR corps weak?

9 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

How is my WR corps weak?

In most opinion if you don't have an "elite" WR on your roster, it is considered weak. I don't quite agree with that assumption in most cases. None of your receivers truly hit that upper echelon of playmakers IMO, but it doesn't mean you don't have quality WRs. Golladay got the yards, Godwin got the TDs, Fuller is the true question mark because he is coming off two ACL tears.

2 hours ago, PR said:
2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

How is my WR corps weak?

In most opinion if you don't have an "elite" WR on your roster, it is considered weak. I don't quite agree with that assumption in most cases. None of your receivers truly hit that upper echelon of playmakers IMO, but it doesn't mean you don't have quality WRs. Golladay got the yards, Godwin got the TDs, Fuller is the true question mark because he is coming off two ACL tears.

PR pretty  much took the response I would have given you. Not having an elite guy in general gives you a weaker group in comparison with other WR units in the BDL. The talent/potential is there but when you consider the group going against a very talented (despite older) trio of CBs I gave the edge to experience.

I have a difficult time deciding on this game. 

I like what Hungary did with their offensive game plan. I think their condensed formations help mitigate the strength of Berlin’s D (the line) and expose a still young back 7 that will make mistakes. I wish Fournette hadn’t started with a more finesse type game plan but that’s a minor point. Despite Berlin not pressing, I think crossers are a good choice against man coverage (man coverage beating routes will be a thing I look for this year just ftr) and I think Hungary’s WRs can make plays against what Berlin brings to the table. I think the defensive strategy is fine although simple. I think I’d prefer off-man over press with just a single safety and some decent deep threats or a cover-2. 

Berlin’s offensive strategy is pretty detailed and I like it. Despite their trust in it, I do find their offensive line a weakness. Brady and quick throws will of course mitigate this weakness to an extent, but Berlin still plans on attacking deep and Hungary’s pass rush is a good one. I also think Berlin struggles to run the ball. I really like the Berlin pass rush. I feel like Berlin would have been better served with zone coverage in this game against a non-elite QB. As it is, I think Hungary could find success with moving Fitz and Gabriel around. 

I’m going to go with the home team in a close, defensive game. Both teams’ defensive lines win overall. I like what Hungary did with their offense but they lack the dynamic playmakers to finish the job. This seems like the type of game where they will stall out often and kick a bunch of field goals which is unfortunately not good enough for Berlin’s splash plays and Brady at home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PR said:

40 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

PR pretty  much took the response I would have given you. Not having an elite guy in general gives you a weaker group in comparison with other WR units in the BDL. The talent/potential is there but when you consider the group going against a very talented (despite older) trio of CBs I gave the edge to experience.

I guess it comes down to how you define 'elite'.  Golladay is a legit NFL #1.  Is he elite?  No, at least not yet.  But elite is a very limited group that has maybe 5-6 guys in it.

What I do have is guys who are more than capable of making plays when they are one-on-one and who compliment each other very, very well.  

• Like 1

Whats maybe lost on some as a large part of Brady's success over the years is a strong O Line (Or Scarnecchia).  I feel Brady will be pressured often with what he has in front of him here, but he will still get his.  Berlin dedicates a lot of written capital to defending Fournette while brushing him aside as a threat.  Worked out as the Hippos are only running on non stacked boxes while running tight formations, where the box will be stacked.  Hungary cant put it away after taking a lead at the half, but Brady comes through somehow at home.  Berlin.

• Like 1