Week 2 Heroes and Goats

naptownskinsfan

Lets go!  Here are a couple of mine: 

Heroes: 

QB Josh Jackson, Maryland- Over 150 points in two games, and Maryland is ranked for the first time in what feels like forever,  Almost 300 yards passing and three touchdowns as Maryland took apart Syracuse. 

QB Joe Burrow, LSU- Burrow set a lot of LSU passing records and nearly recorded 500 yards passing in LSU's victory over Texas.  Burrow looks to be a legitimate QB for LSU, something they haven't had in forever, and LSU got into the top 4 in the AP Poll.  Also GOAT was WR Justin Jefferson

QB Kedon Slovis, USC- Slovis had a great starting debut, with almost 400 yards and three touchdowns as USC upset Stanford.  

RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin- another 100 yard game with three TDs as Wisconsin ran over Central Michigan

HC Mel Tucker, Colorado- what a way to start your program, an overtime upset to Nebraska where the team was behind 17-0 at the half.  

Goats: 

Tennessee as a whole- another loss without any excuses.  At the end of the game, that was some of the most terrible tackling I've seen on a play.  This is the first time since 1988 that the Vols have started 0-2.   Tennessee needs to figure it out against Chattanooga , because the next four games after that are beyond tough- at Florida, home against Georgia and Miss State and then traveling to Alabama.  If they hope to sustain their recent gains in recruiting, those have to be competitive games.

QB Jacob Eason, Washington- after a great debut last week, Eason struggled against Cal.  He was 18/30 for 162 yards, 1 INT and another fumble lost on a sack.  I didn't stay up to watch this one, but Eason was said to look flustered through most of the game, and couldn't get the ball into the end zone, as evidenced by four field goals from Washington.  Gone with this are the Pac-12's hopes at a playoff berth.  

Syracuse defense- allowed over 600 yards to Maryland, including 354 yards on the ground at an average of 7.9 YPC.  Wow.  

On 9/8/2019 at 6:56 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin- another 100 yard game with three TDs as Wisconsin ran over Central Michigan

Well, I'd say it's Jack Coan. We actually THREW all over Central Michigan. First 400 yard passing game since the mid-90s and only like the 3rd time ever.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:01 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Couple more heroes- WR Rondale Moore of Purdue, CB Elijah Riley of Army (I seriously hope that the restrictions on NFL play can be loosened, this kid has a definite future in the NFL), DE Bradlee Anae of Utah 

Another goat- whoever at Texas decided that the LSU band should be up in the nosebleeds.  

im pretty sure the service schools have always allowed the service player the chance to play in the NFL. I cant recall them ever blocking it.

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

im pretty sure the service schools have always allowed the service player the chance to play in the NFL. I cant recall them ever blocking it.

Technically, they do, but as a Navy fan, it's also hard for them.  They are not recruited with any hopes of an NFL career in mind.  The schools are recruiting football players to come to the academy to get their education paid for free, in exchange for serving their country for five years as officers in the respective branches.  

Additionally, there are weight limits that the mids have to be at.  For the football team, that is a bit lax, but when you see Navy play a big-time program like Notre Dame, the size difference in the trenches is extremely noticeable.  Navy can't recruit the biggest and strongest linemen for their team.

David Robinson was an exception.  Because of his height, there was no way he could serve on any Navy ship.  So he spent most of his NBA career as an ambassador for the Navy.  However, in recent years, very few service academy players make the jump.  Someone with the profile as high as Keenan Reynolds would be given a shot.  Joe Cardona ending up with the Patriots (which is also conveniently near the prep school for improving grades) is something that could happen.  Noah Song was a fourth round pick of the Boston Red Sox in this year's NFL Draft, and while he did play in short season ball, he reports for flight training November 1st, and has two years before he can petition for his commitment to be finished as a reservist.  We're talking about a potential first round talent in Song who dropped in the draft because of this.  

Needless to say, the road is tough for Elijah Riley, or just about anyone, to make a career out of football or baseball, which is typically where Navy has had the athletes that could be considered for a pro career.  

Personally, I think that the service academies need to consider an ambassador program and become more lax in allowing players to pursue a professional career..  Like David Robinson, these players can be used as ambassadors for the academies, but also the service recruitment at large.  Just think about sending one or two of these guys to high schools in their off-season to recruit.  It would be such a benefit, and they could even stretch out the term of being an ambassador to more than the five years of service they sign up for when agreeing to attend the academy.   If they don't make the rosters, or are finished playing after a couple seasons, they would be eligible to return to active service and finish their five years with credit for the ambassador work.  I just see a lot of positives in it, and I'd love for them to consider it.  I've seen a lot of guys come through the Naval Academy football program who would be considered draft picks in the mid to late rounds, and a few higher, who aren't taken because of this.  It's a shame that the government is wasting a great recruiting and image opportunity.