BDL 2019 Week 1 - Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Portland Horned Owls

Whicker

Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Portland Horned Owls  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Williamport Soul Reavers
    • Portland Horned Owls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2019 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2019 Week 1

Match:  Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Portland Horned Owls

Away Owner: @wwhickok

Home Owner: @SwoleXmad

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Edited by Whicker

QB: Ben Roethlisberger / Dak Prescott

FB:  Roosevelt Nix

RB: Davonta Freeman / Tevin Coleman

3rd Dn RB: LeSean McCoy / James White

WR1:  John Brown / Calvin Ridley
WR2:  Miles Boykin Anthony Miller 
WR3(Slot): Randall Cobb / Miles Boykin

TE: Jimmy Graham / Dallas Gordert / Maxx Williams

LT: Charles Leno / Dion Dawkins
LG: John Miller / Cody Ford
C:   Mitch Morse / Billy Price  / BJ Finney
RG: Austin Blythe / Cody Whitehair /
RT: Donovan SnithChuks Okorafor

Defense:

LDE: Davon Godchaux / Jonathan Bullard

NT: D.J. Reader / Jason Jones
RDE:  Michael Bennett / Tyson Alualu /  Charles Omenihu

LOLB:  Anthony Barr / Vosean Joseph /  Kamalei Correa
LILB: Myles Jack / Dont'a Hightower 

ILB: Devin Bush / Darron Lee / Dylan Cole

ROLB: Brian Burns / Tim Williams / Shaq Barrett /
CB1: Byron Jones
Donte Jackson
CB2: Steven Nelson / Carlton Davis

CB3: (Slot) Vernon Hargreaves / Trayvon Mullen
FS: Ricardo Allen / Sean Davis / Marquise Blair

marquise blair, Charles Omenihu, Dylan Cole, Shaq Barrett and Golden Tate inactive 

depth chart reflects starting lineup

Portland GameDay Lineup:

QB1: Patrick "MVP" Mahomes II
RB1: Christian McAffrey
WR1: Davante Adams
WR2: Mike Williams
WR3: Marvin Jones
TE1: David Njoku
LT: Laremy " Tunsil
LG: Will "Big" Hernandez
C:  Matt Paradis
RG: Andrew Norwell
RT: Alejandro "Vet" Villanueva

Reserves:

QB2: Jacoby "Biscuit" Brisset.
RB2: Peyton "Sharp Cut" Barber
RB3: Gus "The Bus" Edwards
WR4: John "Gotta go fast" Ross
WR5: Devin Funchess
TE2: Will Disly
OL6: Ben Jones
OL7: Kelvin Beach"B"um

Portland's 4-2-5 Defense:

DE: Dee Ford
3T: Kawann Short
DT: Malik Jackson
DE: Whitney Mercilus
WLB: Zach Brown
MLB: Blake Martinez
CB1: Desmond Trufant
CB2: Logan Ryan
SCB: Morris Claiborne *SUSPENDED*
FS: Reshad Jones
SS: Malcolm Jenkins

Reserves:

SLB: Vince Williams
RLB: Clay Matthews
CB4: Nate Hairston 
CB5: Duke Dawson
S3:  Shawn Williams
DE3: Vic Beasley
NT: Michael Pierce 
DL: DaQuan Jones

Edited by Whicker

Williamsport Soul Reavers

So, first of all, key changes to my roster.

LeSean McCoy is starting, but I plan to use a heavy rotation at RB.

Miles Boykin has been moved to slot while Tate serves his suspension.

Offensively my plan of attack is to run 3 & 4 WR sets basically the entire game. Using a lot of single back and 2 back sets to spread out the opposing defense and attack the center of the field and the medium ranged sidelines underneath the coverages. A balanced, chain moving approach to limit turnovers and keep the opposing offense off the field.

With the lack of speed on the opposing defense in the front 7, I also plan to mix in crossing routes with Jimmy Graham and Dallas Goedert. Moving to a heavy set on goal lines featuring 2 TEs .

Defensively I plan to run a lot of man coverage. Expecting Mahommes to pass the ball alot due to the lack of 'force's at RB, I want my corners and secondary to play press coverage and keep the feet close. I will be using on deep safety to cover the deep over the top plays. My blitzing will be heavily disguised, coming from 3 man lines, CB and S blitzes, and mixing up the blitzing LB. With the strength of my DL I want them pushing OL back and closing the pocket early and often.

Devin Bush will be used as my "dime backer" in situations that warrant just one ILB. Myles Jack and Bush together will be assigned to RB and TE coverages. 

In the 2nd half when the opposing offense has adjusted to my man coverage, I will sprinkle in zone and increase blitzes as the line.

When it comes to their run game, I want to play conservative, limit over pursuits and make Portland one dimensional. My hope to is get them playing from behind and become one dimensional.

Byron Jones will cover Davante Adam's the entire game regardless of where he lines up.

Mike William's will get matched up with a mix between Nelson, Jackson, and Hargreaves to limit his ability to use his speed to get behind the defense.

*full disclosure I'm not great at stating specific formations so it's easier for me to describe my intent*

Portland Horned Owls

Week 1 gameplan: 

Motivation: It's week 1, we're all in to start the season off strong and show BDL we're actual contenders this year. Plus it's time Portland won an opener for once. 

Portland Offensive Gameplan: Come out with a strong running game to set up the pass and let Mahomes work his magic, we'll rotate our players as necessary to keep them fresh and give maximum effort. Specifically we'll be running outside a lot and using McAffrey as a receiver since we feel he's a massive mismatch for their LBs and Safeties. 

The Passing Game: With the best young QB in the NFL under center we feel confident we'll be able to get the passing game going early and often. Normally I would mock my opponent for their lack of a good secondary but Williamsport has a very good group of CBs, I expect Byron Jones will shadow Adams but that won't stop us from getting the ball to him when necessary if doubled we will however go elsewhere. Mike Williams will suit up as the no.2 WR and since he's such a massive target he'll used in short yardage situations and in the endzone, he should also have a decent size advantage over Davis/Jackson. Marvis Jones will be used our no.3 WR option and if Adams is doubled he'll get a bit more targets than he normally would, John Ross will get a few deep targets because of his speed but other than that he'll mostly be a decoy when he sees the field. Njoku will get some work over the middle but he'll mostly be relegated to a safety blanket for Mahomes. McAffrey will get at least 10 targets in this game and will be leaned on as the focal point of the offense, we'll be operating a run heavy offense (50:50 split is the goal) with the focus on using play action and letting our WRs/RBs/TEs get the extra yards once the defense wears down from a punishing o-line. 

The Running Game: With Mahomes and our weapons we feel Williamsport will devote extra resources to pass defense and we hope to take advantage of that by ramming the ball down their throats early and often, we expect our o-line to win the battles in the trenches against a d-line lacking depth, with only 4 DTs on their active roster we expect to wear them down quite easily. McAffrey will pass protect as needed, Barber will rotate in on about 10% of the snaps to keep him fresh and we'll run outside quite a bit along with using McAffrey on screens. 

The Blocking Unit: We'll execute blocking assignments as necessary, in a pinch Ben Jones will plat C, Beachum plays OT, Kline plays OG etc. 

TDLR; Protect Mahomes, get McAffrey the ball, score points, punish the defense, execute the play. 

Portland Defensive Gameplan: We'll mostly be playing zone coverage with a mix of man, we'll focus on blitzing Ben and exposing Williamsport's issues along the o-line. 

Pass Coverage: Trufant will get Ridley since we feel he is their best WR, Logan Ryan who despite some rumors is actually the Titans no.1 CB will cover the no.2 WR, Morris Claiborne will man the slot/cover the 3rd WR. No one will get extra attention in coverage and we'll all play our assignments, we'll play mostly cover 3 zone with some man mixed in here and there. Jimmy Graham isn't what he used to be but he's still a decent checkdown option, we feel our LBs can take care of him fairly well along with handling Williamsports RBs when necesary. We'll blitz on roughly 25% of the snaps to get after Ben and test their o-line. Reshad Jones will take over the FS and the All-Pro should be able to handle his assignments fairly well, Malcolm Jenkins will play SS and will rotate in and out of the box depending on the down and situation, in dime packages our no.4 CB comes on and Brown leaves the field. 

Front Seven/Run Defense: We should be able to handle Williamsports RBs fairly well given Freeman has lost his burst in recent years, Coleman is in a committee, LeSean is all washed up and White is nothing more than a 3rd down back. Still it's a deep backfield and has some talent so we'll put effort into stopping them and forcing Roelthisberger to beat us through the air, we feel our d-line comprised of Ford+Short+Jackson+Mercilus should be able to control the LOS and let our stud LBs make plays. Blake Martinez will be the defensive signal caller, Clay Matthews+Beasley will be used as situational pass rushers and we'll be used as blitzing LBs on occasion as well. We'll rotate our defenders as necesary and make adjustments for the down&distance&situation. 

The Pass Rush: Look at our d-line vs. their o-line and tell me there aren't mismatches for Williamsport, with a revamped pass rush compared to last year we should be able to harass QBs all year long starting today. 

TDLR; Get after Ben, Harass the clock tower, defend our assignments, shut down the run game, execute well, force turnovers. 

On 9/4/2019 at 4:46 PM, SwoleXmad said:

@wwhickok BDL depth chart is up to date for you. Also feel free to let me help you with the gameplan since your new. 

42 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I'm gonna assume no one showed WW how game day rosters need to look. Not his fault.

I offered. But also yeah, 1st game slack and all. 

*Providing starting lineup 

Offense:

QB: Dak Prescott

RB: LeSean Mcoy 

WR1: John Brown

W2: Miles Boykin 

WR3: Randall Cobb

TE: Jimmy Graham

LT: Charles Leno

LG: Cody Whitehair

C: Mitch Morse

RG: Austin Blythe