BDL 2019 Week 1 - Anchorage Wolves @ Hawaii Nightmarchers

Whicker

Anchorage Wolves @ Hawaii Nightmarchers  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Anchorage Wolves
    • Hawaii Nightmarchers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2019 at 04:01 AM

I’m going to start with something I see from Anchorage that is more of a general statement. I don’t like tackles at guard. It’s obviously okay in an emergency, but unless he’s played guard before (which I do not know about Collins but this is more of a general statement), I will likely evaluate him as a BDL replacement level guard, even if it is an elite tackle. 

Anyway, to the game. Good game as per usual in this league. A couple of game plan and lineup issues affected my decision.

I like the run first game plan from Anchorage and I like how they utilize the strengths of their WRs, although I don’t like how their wideouts are all slot type guys. There’s some inconsistency in their defensive plan (such as saying Collins will play in the box in a 4-3 but then saying Cover-2 against 2-wide), but I like the general idea of it. They could be stronger at LB but their front 7 rotation is good. Overall I’m a fan of how much information is presented  

Hawaii’s starting lineup is undoubtedly strong. I do like how they feature Barkley, especially on a week without their top option. I wish there were a more dedicated spell back rather than one who is listed as a starter and pretty heavily featured in the plan, but overall it’s minor as Barkley could likely handle 100% of snaps. I also would like it more clear if McDonald is helping Decker or helping against Cameron Jordan, as the way it is written conflicts with Jordan playing LE as he is here. As it stands, I interpret this as McDonald helping Decker, leaving Jordan alone with Bulaga. I would also really really like for some description of at least a nickel defense. 

Okay, so now to the deal breaker. Hawaii, who acknowledges that defensive line fatigue is a thing in his offensive writeup and criticizes Anchorage’s depth, has literally no backup DTs. Considering Anchorage has a run first plan and included a good defensive line rotation, I think Hawaii gets worn down first. On top of this, Hawaii has a very light defensive front with only one LB (I assume) against Anchorage’s 3 wide set. With McCain and Weddle doubling Kittle, Hawaii either needs to take Roquan/Demario off the field for Hughes to cover Agholor or have an LB on a WR. Either way, I think Anchorage takes enough of advantage of these defensive holes to overcome the talent difference. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whicker said:

I’m going to start with something I see from Anchorage that is more of a general statement. I don’t like tackles at guard. It’s obviously okay in an emergency, but unless he’s played guard before (which I do not know about Collins but this is more of a general statement), I will likely evaluate him as a BDL replacement level guard, even if it is an elite tackle. 

Anyway, to the game. Good game as per usual in this league. A couple of game plan and lineup issues affected my decision.

I like the run first game plan from Anchorage and I like how they utilize the strengths of their WRs, although I don’t like how their wideouts are all slot type guys. There’s some inconsistency in their defensive plan (such as saying Collins will play in the box in a 4-3 but then saying Cover-2 against 2-wide), but I like the general idea of it. They could be stronger at LB but their front 7 rotation is good. Overall I’m a fan of how much information is presented  

Hawaii’s starting lineup is undoubtedly strong. I do like how they feature Barkley, especially on a week without their top option. I wish there were a more dedicated spell back rather than one who is listed as a starter and pretty heavily featured in the plan, but overall it’s minor as Barkley could likely handle 100% of snaps. I also would like it more clear if McDonald is helping Decker or helping against Cameron Jordan, as the way it is written conflicts with Jordan playing LE as he is here. As it stands, I interpret this as McDonald helping Decker, leaving Jordan alone with Bulaga. I would also really really like for some description of at least a nickel defense. 

Okay, so now to the deal breaker. Hawaii, who acknowledges that defensive line fatigue is a thing in his offensive writeup and criticizes Anchorage’s depth, has literally no backup DTs. Considering Anchorage has a run first plan and included a good defensive line rotation, I think Hawaii gets worn down first. On top of this, Hawaii has a very light defensive front with only one LB (I assume) against Anchorage’s 3 wide set. With McCain and Weddle doubling Kittle, Hawaii either needs to take Roquan/Demario off the field for Hughes to cover Agholor or have an LB on a WR. Either way, I think Anchorage takes enough of advantage of these defensive holes to overcome the talent difference. 

This is sexy 

8 hours ago, Whicker said:

Hawaii’s starting lineup is undoubtedly strong. I do like how they feature Barkley, especially on a week without their top option. I wish there were a more dedicated spell back rather than one who is listed as a starter and pretty heavily featured in the plan, but overall it’s minor as Barkley could likely handle 100% of snaps.

Eh I guess the double RB in the starting lineup isn't enough of a "spell back" but i'll do better.

To your other point, I made the same mistake in 2019 as 2018 starting week 1 with only 8 total subs instead of 8 on offense and 8 on defense. Bizzbowl here I come.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

His dline would have been worn down. But unlike Whicker y’all suck and can’t see that. 

I literally have 2 DL listed in my 4 subs, by the time we get to the 4th quarter I won't even need DTs anymore with how far in the lead i'll be.

Just because a dude said something nice to you doesn't mean you need to go pecker chasing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I literally have 2 DL listed in my 4 subs, by the time we get to the 4th quarter I won't even need DTs anymore with how far in the lead i'll be.

Just because a dude said something nice to you doesn't mean you need to go pecker chasing.

Ill leave that to your sister

This was/is a shoot out surprisingly 

Hawaii has a great offense and while Anchorage doesn't possess the same weaponry, the Hawaii secondary is lol as they have Kendall Sheffield apparantly? as their third corner. He didn't play a defensive snap this week.  (btw McCain is not a starting safety for the Jets).  Vanilla defense with no blitzing should give cousins plenty of time to find someone who will be open eventually 

Hawaii got cocky here and it's gonna cost them.  Anchorage 28-24

Edited by bcb1213
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

This was/is a shoot out surprisingly 

Hawaii has a great offense and while Anchorage doesn't possess the same weaponry, the Hawaii secondary is lol as they have Kendall Sheffield apparantly? as their third corner. He didn't play a defensive snap this week.  (btw McCain is not a starting safety for the Jets).  Vanilla defense with no blitzing should give cousins plenty of time to find someone who will be open eventually 

Hawaii got cocky here and it's gonna cost them.  Anchorage 28-24

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/bobby-mccain-getting-comfortable-with-transition-to-safety

Missed them picking up another safety but that was the plan for a large portion of the off-season, I promise to follow the Jets more...

20 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/bobby-mccain-getting-comfortable-with-transition-to-safety

Missed them picking up another safety but that was the plan for a large portion of the off-season, I promise to follow the Jets more...

I mean if McCain was a jet and not a dolphin I would have followed you on this.... 

• Like 1

Hawaii with only 3 offensive reserves is turrible. But with a game plan leaning on Barkley and still a couple capable pass catchers to go with that defense I think he takes a win. A game he probably took far too lightly against a good game planner IMO.