BDL 2019 Week 1 - Gotham Gashslayers @ Cuba Smugglers

Whicker

Gotham Gashslayers @ Cuba Smugglers  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Gotham Gashslayers
    • Cuba Smugglers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2019 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2019 Week 1

Match:  Gotham Gashslayers @ Cuba Smugglers

Away Owner: @pheltzbahr

Home Owner: @MD4L

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Edited by Whicker

Gotham Gashslayers

QB - Carson Wentz

RB - Kerryon Johnson

WR - Tyreek Hill

WR - Jarvis Landry

WR- Devante Parker

TE - Kyle Rudolph

LT - Jake Matthews

LG - Andrus Peat

C - Maurkice Pouncey

RG - Shaq Mason

RT - Mitchell Schwartz

RB - Derrick Henry

RB - Josh Jacobs

WR - Geronimo Allison

TE - Hayden Hurst

OL - Mike McGlinchey

DE - JJ Watt

DT/NT - Dontari Poe

DE/DT - Chris Jones

EDGE - Leonard Floyd

MLB - Benardrick McKinney

WLB - Zach Cunningham

CB - Xavier Rhodes

CB - Xavien Howard

CB - Josh Norman

ROVER - Minkah Fitzpatrick

S - Damarious Randall

EDGE - Charles Harris

INT - Austin Johnson

INT - Henry Anderson

LB - Vontaze Burfcit

S - Justin Simmons

S - Clayton Geathers

CB - Jourdan Lewis

Cuba Smugglers

QB: DeShaun Watson 
RB: Dalvin Cook
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Brandin Cooks 
WR: DJ Chark
TE: Jesse James
LT: Anthony Castonzo
LG: Laken Tomlinson 
C: Alex Mack
RG: David DeCastro
RT: Rob Havenstein 

RB2: Damien Williams 
RB3: Justice Hill
Flex1: Jaylen Samuels
TE2: Ian Thomas
OL6: Germain Ifedi
WR4: Donte Moncrief 
Flex2: Taysom Hill
OL7: Michael Jordan

Edge: Jerry Hughes
DT: Jurrell Casey
DT: Fletcher Cox
DE: Carl Nassib
WLB: KJ Wright
SLB: De’Vondre Campbell 
RCB: Kenny Moore 
NCB: Bryce Callahan *INACTIVE*
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: Tyrann Mathieu 
LCB: Richard Sherman

MLB: Eric Kendricks 
Edge: Denico Autry
CB4: Isaiah Oliver 
DT: Arik Armstead
NT: Derrick Nnadi
SS: Ronnie Harrison
Edge: Rashan Gary
CB5: Anthony Brown 

Edited by Whicker

Gotham Gashslayers

OFFENSE - 3WR/TE/RB - Single Back Set  (65:35 Pass:Run)

We open the season against old friend and new division rival MD$L and his Cuba Smugglers.  On offense we will run a single back set behind Carson Wentz, featuring Kerryon Johnson at tailback.

RUN GAME - Looking to establish a balanced offense, we will avoid Cuba’s elite interior DLine on the ground  and instead focus on bottling them up in the middle and breaking plays to the outside and off tackle, utilizing stretch and RPO concepts. Although we expect Johnson to touch the ball close to 20 times, Derrick Henry and Josh Jacobs will also be used to spell him and in goal line/short yardage and to spell him with a change of pace.

PASS GAME - In the pass game we are going to have some fun with our new toy, Tyreek Hill.  No one on Cuba can natch Tyreek 1 on 1, so Wentz will certainly be looking his way if Hill is left in single coverage.  Having Hill able to take the top off the defense will allow Wentz to take advantage in the short and intermediate routes to Landry and Parker.  Working off RPO will also give Wentz an advantage on reading the Smugglers’ D and diagnose coverage.

DEFENSE - 34 Hybrid Nickel

Cuba’s offensive success will run through Deshaun Watson and his ability to not get punished by our fearsome front.  Watson is a dynamic player that can create big plays, but we think our defenders match well with Cuba’s playmakers and think our D Line can get to Deshaun consistently.

PASS D - We will play mostly man on Cuba’s receivers, with Rhodes on a banged up Julio, Howard on Cooks and Norman on Moncreif.  Damarious Randall will play Single high safety and look to make plays over the top. Minkah Fitzpatrick will play a rover role, sometimes playing back with Randall, sometimes playing up in the box, but always with eyes on Watson.  We think Watson still telegraphs his throws from time to time and look to take advantage of that. This will also prevent Watson from escaping the pocket and breaking off big run plays as Fitz will serve as a SPY. Cunningham covers TEs.

RUN D - Dalvin Cook flashed early as a rookie before his injury and wont take him lightly, but he has his work cut out against our stout front 4.  Benardrick McKinney is charged with read/react duties on him out of the backfield. I doubt Cook consistently finds room to run against Watt/Poe/Jones/Floyd, but McKinney will be there to clean up when he does.

PASS RUSH - We will normally rush 4 with our starters, but change some personnel on obvious passing downs.  Poe comes off in these situations, with Harris coming in off the EDGE on Watts’ 5T side. We will employ different look blitzes in these situations as well, with McKinney ad/or Fitz adding extra pressure to force a mistake from Watson.

Cuba Smugglers

Offense

DeShaun Watson showcase. He will be in shotgun and under center with responsibility to getting the ball to Julio Jones. Dalvin Cook is the featured player and leads the team in touches. Brandin Cooks runs reverses, screens, and playaction vertical routes for touches. He should help to take a safety and open crossing routes for other players. Jaylen Samuels is the h-back and helps as a useful weapon in multiple facets. We run misdirection plays in hopes to give Watson running opportunities on QB draws. We include a set of I-formation and three receiver sets under center to attack the opposing defense.

5 quality starters in the offensive line.

TLDR: DeShaun Watson showcase. Throw to establish Dalvin Cook, keep Julio Jones involved. Give touches to Brandin Cooks. Have them open up lesser weapons like DJ Chark.

Defense
Name of the game is covering enough weapons. Wentz does a brilliant job extending plays and requires being in coverage for long sequences. We want to mix up man and zone coverage schemes, particularly against Tyreek Hill. Rodney McLeod and Tyrann Mathieu switch responsibility for the CB. We want Richard Sherman to shadow him when in man coverage. As for zone coverage, he will be the focal point of the safeties. Kenny Moore will be in the slot often with Isaiah Oliver rotating on the outside. We will emphasize this and keep the boundary CBs on islands if Hill goes in the slot. Kenny Moore and De’Vondre Campbell are all capable of blitzing with success. They create some complex blitzes plays which gives chances to confuse Wentz and create sacks. The front four led by Fletcher Cox and Jurrell Casey will force pressure. 

TLDR: DL gets consistent pressure (Cox/Casey/Hughes/Autry), zone blitzes get sacks (Moore, Campbell), and 4-3 LB sets to focus on run (Wright/Kendricks/Campbell). Keep tabs on Tyreek Hill with safety help and Moore/Sherman lining up against him.

This, imo would be a game of defensive struggle and come down to who still has something left in the 4th qtr. Both of these defenses are ridiculously loaded with talent and while both offenses are talented also the trenches are where the difference is for me. Cuba, on paper has a more talented offense as a whole but I think Gotham can still matchup up and use their weapons effectively. However, I think Cuba's OL will hold up better for 60 minutes and allow Dalvin Cook to stay fresh and Watson to connect with his weapons in what I'd view to be an otherwise very low scoring battle.

• Like 1

What’s funny is my three starting RBs on my Fantasy team are the same three Gotham deploys here. Gothams offense with Hill (this week) and Wentz and Landry is enough to carry the passing game here.  Parker finally showed a pulse as well. Their Defense is scary. I was impressed with Watson and that Cuba offense is going to get them a lot of wins this year. I just feel like in this premier matchup up Cuba’s Offense vs Gotham’s Defense that Gotham prevails and their offense has more success against the Cuba defense than vice versa. 

• Like 1

Both of these teams are very good. 

Gotham featured the wrong RB, IMO. In terms of my vote, I feel they’ll be better served by utilizing all their RBs rather than featuring one. With their given ratio, there’s really not any carries a available for the backups. I like how they want to avoid an elite defensive interior but I’d like a little more information such as if they want to focus on a certain direction, attacking a player, etc. as well as information on their plan for their tight end. I also don’t like their single high safety look in this particular match. 

For Cuba, I think they could be served a little better with some more specifics. I don’t think Brandin Cooks is involved nearly enough. I don’t like the line about Cooks drawing a safety without follow up. As it stands it seems to me that you want him to draw a safety but if he doesn’t then oh well. I don’t like the lip service to the O-line. I really don’t like how your tl;dr includes info not given during the writeup proper. The defensive writeup is a bit unclear to me as it took me a second read through to realize the double team on Hill. 

Tough game to decide. I think this game could actually generate a ton of offense contrary to posts already in thread. 

Gotham will be able to work its way down the field with the intermediate game. Cuba is rightfully focused on Hill and Gotham rightfully takes advantage. I also think Hill is the type to break one regardless. I also think Gotham could have good success with its outside running plan. 

Cuba’s deep passing will be successful. Gotham’s single high safety will leave one guy to defend 3 deep threats. Gotham’s corners are good, but Julio will beat any of them in single coverage and Cooks is also bound to get behind somebody. Watson is also the type who will give his covered guys a chance with no safety help. 

I think Cuba takes an exciting game at home. Gotham scores with a couple of sustained drives. Cuba answers with some big passes. In the end, Cuba’s offensive line holds up better than Gotham’s and Cuba’s pass rush makes the game changing defensive play to win. 

Man this is a tough one. The team that wants to collectively march down the field vs the team that wants to mix it up with the explosive plays. Gotham accounts for the QB draw but at the expense of single high vs a very good trio of WRs, luckily for them I think they counter with very good CBs. I'm going to give this one to Gotham, I was really hoping for more from the Smugglers when it comes to offensive write-up as they have some very talented players.

Should be a helluva struggle.  I think Gotham hits a few big ones against Isaiah Oliver whose on an island by himself, when the just OK edge rushers can't get through, to get the victory..  Watanabe should be extend the amount fewer plays to match but I like the Gotham d to contain the Cuba o just enough to to get the victory here 

Two great QBs, great rushing attacks, very good OLs, and both teams have legit passing games.  

I think the Cuba defense gives up some big plays because they aren't quite as talented, and I think Gotham gives up some big plays because they are going single high against these WRs.

Everything else equal, I trust the Gotham defense to make one more play.  

Well done gentlemen.