Week 1 Take Aways

Just Want A Title

After having had a chance to process the game here are some observations:

1.  Our vaunted D-Line didn't get to the QB at all.  Not sure if that was by design but we need some sacks from Flowers, Okwara and our DTs

2.  TJ Hockenson is not Eric Ebron.  Jahvani Tavhai wasn't dominant but didn't make any glaring mistakes; solid

3.  Our coaching staff got way too conservative too early on offense and defense and it blew up in their face

4.  Why is Darrel Bevell calling time outs?  Thanks for that by the way.

5.  I wasn't sure about Paul Pasualoni when they hired him and I am less sure now.  If Patricia is too loyal to his mentor it could cost him his job.

6.  Where were the WRs for most of the game?  I know spreading the ball around is good but Kenny Gollday is 6'4" and 213lbs.  He needs to see the ball more.  Marvin Jones had a nice catch also.

7.  We need more speed on offense.  Please get Ty Johnson the ball on screens and wheel routes.

8.  Kevin Strong quietly had a solid game.  I hope the UDFA keeps it up.

9.  Tracy Walker had a very up and down game.  He could have been flagged for a stupid late hit that looked a lot like the one from pre-season and got burned late by Larry Fitsgerald.  When I watched that play over again it looked like he played Fitzgerald way too loose and gave him no respect.  Tracy Walker has some talent but he needs to grow up in a hurry.

10.  Taylor Decker does not look like a long-term solution at LT.  Maybe at G or RT but not LT

11.  Jamal Agnew made a horrible mistake when he muffed that punt.  That shouldn't happen to a third-year player.  He is not looking like a long-term solution either.

Thoughts?

1. It’s by design I think. Many times they played with 3 DL. 5 sacks, 6 TFL isn’t a bad day for a defence. Murray is a running beast and I assume part of the defensive strategy was to keep him from getting outside every play. 

I thought the defence played well until the 4th when they seemed to back off and play prevent. Te whole game plan turned way to conservative.

2. Agreed. Let’s hope this wasn’t one game. My favourite aspect of TJ’s game was blocking. It’s nice to have a big target in the end zone that can catch. 

6. I understand what your saying. I don’t disagree however 385 yards passing is respectable. TJ had a monster day and it seemed like he and Stafford just clicked. 

10. Worst game I’ve seen Decker play. Early on I was surprised to see Stafford get up. He was absolutely drilled.

My wife joined me and the score was 17-3. She said, “you must be happy.” I replied, “just wait, it’s the Lions.”

it gets frustrating watching this team invent ways to blow the game. 

Whats worrisome is the Lions were unable to defeat the last place team missing their two starting corners, with a rookie QB starting his first game. They had the game in hand. Arizona had done nothing on offence and then the wheels come off. A one score game and the Lions seemed to be playing not to lose. 

I liked allot of what I saw yesterday but it all gets erased, once again, by the absence of killer instinct. These are games the Lions must win if they’re ever going to be a good team. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

1. It’s by design I think. Many times they played with 3 DL. 5 sacks, 6 TFL isn’t a bad day for a defence. Murray is a running beast and I assume part of the defensive strategy was to keep him from getting outside every play. 

I thought the defence played well until the 4th when they seemed to back off and play prevent. Te whole game plan turned way to conservative.

2. Agreed. Let’s hope this wasn’t one game. My favourite aspect of TJ’s game was blocking. It’s nice to have a big target in the end zone that can catch. 

6. I understand what your saying. I don’t disagree however 385 yards passing is respectable. TJ had a monster day and it seemed like he and Stafford just clicked. 

10. Worst game I’ve seen Decker play. Early on I was surprised to see Stafford get up. He was absolutely drilled.

My wife joined me and the score was 17-3. She said, “you must be happy.” I replied, “just wait, it’s the Lions.”

it gets frustrating watching this team invent ways to blow the game. 

Whats worrisome is the Lions were unable to defeat the last place team missing their two starting corners, with a rookie QB starting his first game. They had the game in hand. Arizona had done nothing on offence and then the wheels come off. A one score game and the Lions seemed to be playing not to lose. 

I liked allot of what I saw yesterday but it all gets erased, once again, by the absence of killer instinct. These are games the Lions must win if they’re ever going to be a good team. 

1) From my understanding of things, it is by design. The defense played really well for at least the first half and even into the 3rd.

2) The offense had some stalls but otherwise played really well for the first three quarters. They moved the ball, Hockenson made some really nice plays. Kerryon wasn't featured as much as I would've liked to see. Anderson was ok but unspectacular. Agree on someone else's point - I'd like to see Ty Johnson sprinkled in there more.

Decker: Far too many mistakes. Unfortunately, he is not the guy but there isn't exactly an abundance of top caliber OL floating around either.

Stafford: He looked great and he looked comfortable running the offense. He was far from the problem and at least gave me some hope. Just like what we saw with that Packers/Bears game, you can have a great D but you're still going to lose if you can't move the ball and score some points.

The first big sign of things for me was that muffed punt. That's just a concentration play that should have been a gimme. Instead, it set up the Cardinals with great field position. The inability to score early and opening up with a field goal also helped to set the tone of what was going to come.

This should have been a W. Everything was set up perfectly for the Lions to take advantage of it and walk away with the win: rookie HC with zero NFL coaching experience; rookie QB; missing starting 2 CB's, missing starting RT vs. HC with 1 full season under his belt and multiple SB's; a vet QB with 10 years of experience; and most of our key starters on both sides of the ball.

The schedule coming up is going to be a very difficult one. While the Lions can win games and could wind up on the positive side of things, it's certainly not a given and far from being likely.

32 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Coaching staff does not trust Stafford. 

That's taking it a bit far.

Bevell is new and Patricia had a split decision to make that judgment. I think he should of ignored the request, nonetheless. 

In hindsight, I'm more frustrated with the following play call which looked at be all vertical when 5 yards would of won the game.

15 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Stafford wasn't the problem yesterday, that's for sure.

I feel bad for the guy.

There were a lot of qbs who posted insignificant/ bad stat lines and still got wins yesterday....nothing new for Stafford to play well and still lose, but the guy has to be frustrated.

Despite the money and draft picks thrown at the position, this team still doesn't have the O-line to sustain long, methodical, clock eating drives to salt games away. The coaches should see that and prepare accordingly (meaning playing like your behind even when you have a 2 or 3 td lead....foot on the gas pedal for the entire 4 quarters)

Edited by Miblue

Just now, detroitroar said:

I feel bad for the guy.

There were a lot of qbs who posted insignificant/ bad stat lines and still got wins yesterday....nothing new for Stafford to play well and still lose, but the guy has to be frustrated.

If I am the Jaguars, I would consider reaching out to the Lions (assuming Foles is out for a while) and see what it might take to get him. There is talk about Eli Manning but why not get a younger guy that could stabilize the position and not waste that high caliber defense. I'm not suggesting that the Lions will or even should trade Stafford but all he did yesterday was bump up his value as a potential trade piece and show he can be the solution when given the right pieces. Bottom line - Stafford deserves better than what happened yesterday.

• Like 1