Week 1 Take Aways

Just Want A Title

6 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I don’t think that’s objective. The reality is the Lions coaches, coordinators and GM’s have all been absolute failures. Success in an organization starts at the top. 

The lack of a running game, oline, poor play calling all negatively impacts Stafford's impact and numbers. I didn’t want the Lions to draft Stafford because the team was not close to being ready to add a franchise QB. 

Stafford isn’t without blame but as is often the case the QB receives far to much blame. Many of the QB’s you rank above Stafford have had the benefit of playing for much more complete teams with consistent coaching, offensive systems etc. It’s highly unlikely any of them would’ve enjoyed the success they’ve achieved if they were unfortunate enough to be drafted by Detroit.

Does the QB make the coaches or vice versa?  Or both which is probably the best answer. Aaron’s Rodgers has bounced through coaches. Brady has had numerous OCs that have all struggled when they leave.  Sean Payton wasn’t a great coach until he found Brees.  

As I type this I see Stafford throw his second INt if the game, while standing in the pocket with nobody close to him for 4 seconds.  He just made a bad decision on that throw, and that’s relatively common amongst his INTs.  He has a strong arm, he just isn’t a great QB/leader/decision maker.  

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Does the QB make the coaches or vice versa?  Or both which is probably the best answer. Aaron’s Rodgers has bounced through coaches. Brady has had numerous OCs that have all struggled when they leave.  Sean Payton wasn’t a great coach until he found Brees.  

As I type this I see Stafford throw his second INt if the game, while standing in the pocket with nobody close to him for 4 seconds.  He just made a bad decision on that throw, and that’s relatively common amongst his INTs.  He has a strong arm, he just isn’t a great QB/leader/decision maker.  

He played great up to that point and it got us 6 points. He lost his patience.

As I type this, Stafford pinpoints a 4th down conversion and lasers a perfect ball for a TD.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:01 AM, diehardlionfan said:

Yes, it would be cap hell. No way it happens.

I’m always about the big uglies. Teams need to be built front to back, inside outside but moving on from three players from one position group in one season is a tall order. Not saying it can’t be done but it’s a tough task if the goal is improvement.

I think we are all over reacting after one game. Decker had the worst game of his career from a pass blocking perspective but his run blocking graded out extremely well. 

I understand what your saying with Stafford however everyone in the league knows his strengths and weaknesses. I don’t think his value changes much based on team success. I also don’t think he’s going anywhere. At least not yet. There just isn’t an option out there that gives the Lions a better chance to win. 

I don’t think anyone had great confidence in the Lions this season but after the opening game my main concern is coaching.

Well being that Lions have 47 million in cap space next season IDK, not really... Only two players that might deserve bigger contracts soon are Golladay/Johnson. They can also cut Ricky Wagner and maybe Marvin Jones and save like 13-14 million on top of that 47 million. 

It prolly depends on the contract extension you gave Williams, 5 years 75 plus is too much 3 years 50 million front loaded is the sweet spot. 25 million hit the first year followed by something like 12.5/12.5

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Well being that Lions have 47 million in cap space next season IDK, not really... Only two players that might deserve bigger contracts soon are Golladay/Johnson. They can also cut Ricky Wagner and maybe Marvin Jones and save like 13-14 million on top of that 47 million. 

It prolly depends on the contract extension you gave Williams, 5 years 75 plus is too much 3 years 50 million front loaded is the sweet spot. 25 million hit the first year followed by something like 12.5/12.5

not gonna happen

17 hours ago, detroitroar said:

He played great up to that point and it got us 6 points. He lost his patience.

As I type this, Stafford pinpoints a 4th down conversion and lasers a perfect ball for a TD.

Yup, inconsistent as I have said.  Can throw passes that no one else in the league can but also makes some dumb decisions that cost his team. He throws it 100mph no matter if the WR is 5 yards downfield or 30 yards downfield and lacks touch. Roll it all into one QB and you have yourself a 10-15th ranked QB in the league.  The INT I was typing was his second of the game. He was so sharp that he led us to 13 points.  That's not going to win too many games even if our defense is legit. We are lucky they fumbled at the 1.