5down

3rivers

no ups, so fire away for the downs.

1. moncreif - the worst I have seen on this team in a long time

2. ben - not a good game, and the play calling that he approves is terrible

3. OC  see above

4. no pressure on brady even though watt was double teamed often

5. communication breakdowns on D, thanks butler (as usual) 

6. edmunds - 2 TD's he was a part of

7. tomlin - team wasn't ready and had no legit plan and was flat from the start

8. colbert- should have traded AB for a RD1 pick to the pats, but instead AB ends up there anyways (for a 3rd and a 5th from the raiders draft escrow service)  instead

9. tomlin/rooney etc, need to get rid of butler and possibly OC. 

i am not willing to bring out the pitchforks and torches for anyone not named donte moncrief just yet

like i said in the game thread, first game of the season, new defense and new offense against the world champions playing in their backyard, a team that you've historically struggled against and you don't match up too well with, and we all know ben hates the entire month of september for no reasonable reason

now

i get why it's easy to be mad and start throwing darts already but it's week one and it was a big loss, tough loss, and one that we'll have to recover from, but it was week one

i'm willing to give the new look defense and new look offense more of a go, give juju and washington time to adjust to new roles, see how they pepper bush in more as the year progresses, etc! heck just from this game washington looked better than last year

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

no ups, so fire away for the downs.

1. moncreif - the worst I have seen on this team in a long time

2. ben - not a good game, and the play calling that he approves is terrible

3. OC  see above

4. no pressure on brady even though watt was double teamed often

5. communication breakdowns on D, thanks butler (as usual) 

6. edmunds - 2 TD's he was a part of

7. tomlin - team wasn't ready and had no legit plan and was flat from the start

8. colbert- should have traded AB for a RD1 pick to the pats, but instead AB ends up there anyways (for a 3rd and a 5th from the raiders draft escrow service)  instead

9. tomlin/rooney etc, need to get rid of butler and possibly OC

not sure why it isnt apparent tomlin is the one that needs to go

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, muncher said:

not sure why it isnt apparent tomlin is the one that needs to go

I'm not a tomlin supporter like some here, but I still give him some benefit of the doubt  because of his surroundings. Yes, he should step in and be an authoritative coach but ben wants to pass and butler should at least be on the hotseat.  Even if tomlin goes, ben has to have his way and then there are still major issues with the D. Wait and see how this season goes, but I don't see much hope overall  . Maybe 9-7 at best if they call games similar to this. If they run the ball and control TOP, then I expect possibly a WC spot.  Too many problems on this team, secondary is still suspect to say the least, and in this league now, that isn't going to help.

If Watt and JJSS are out for a few games , that won't help either, but they could try to run the ball at least. 

Like I said, if the Steelers start 0-5. You can fire Tomlin. And the Bucs are 1-0. You can trade Ben. 

What I didn't know was Rudolph ain't too stinking bad. That will inject what we need so badly. Energy. Hope. Comradery. 

Instead of being a dysfunctional family where everyone wants out and they all hate each other. 

Have to say, this is the most disappointed I've been watching the Steelers for a while.
Felt like a big step backwards, unfortunately.

Such a lack of identity and a soft, reactive mentality.

There seemed to be no offensive game plan other than 'we'll be down, so we'll have to throw'.
The coaching on both sides felt like they had accepted they'd be out coached.

Tomlin not going for it on 4th and 1 from that close, was a huge mistake and said a lot.
It showed a lack of confidence and with this O-Line and Conner, that should've been two down the gut.

Ben felt like he was slow and pressing. Moncrief shouldn't be getting starter minutes.

The D, I'm just not sure what to say. This team seems to consistently play below their talent.
That comes down to coaching and scheme for me. I think they play the Patriots, afraid.
I'm also just sick of Butler (and Tomlin) apparently not being able to solve for anything.

Make no mistake NE is a favourite to win it all. They are a very good team.
Add Antonio and it's down right scary what this receiving corps will do with Brady.

But we never played like we had a chance. And I can't remember the last time I sensed that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mwalker said:

Have to say, this is the most disappointed I've been watching the Steelers for a while.
Felt like a big step backwards, unfortunately.

Such a lack of identity and a soft, reactive mentality.

There seemed to be no offensive game plan other than 'we'll be down, so we'll have to throw'.
The coaching on both sides felt like they had accepted they'd be out coached.

Tomlin not going for it on 4th and 1 from that close, was a huge mistake and said a lot.
It showed a lack of confidence and with this O-Line and Conner, that should've been two down the gut.

Ben felt like he was slow and pressing. Moncrief shouldn't be getting starter minutes.

The D, I'm just not sure what to say. This team seems to consistently play below their talent.
That comes down to coaching and scheme for me. I think they play the Patriots, afraid.
I'm also just sick of Butler (and Tomlin) apparently not being able to solve for anything.

Make no mistake NE is a favourite to win it all. They are a very good team.
Add Antonio and it's down right scary what this receiving corps will do with Brady.

But we never played like we had a chance. And I can't remember the last time I sensed that. 

+1 👏🏽 [golf clap... I'm not that enthusiastic]

The playcalling on offense was a complete joke.   As bad as Haley could be at times,  tonight made me miss him.     They treated Ben like he was a UDFA rookie early in the game.

I wouldnt say Ben is done....but the writing is on the wall.      He has always been inconsistent....its getting worse as he is getting older.

Moncrief is a complete bum.    I was wrong in thinking he could be good for us.  He looked terrible in the preseason and it carried over into tonight.

Switzer was in the game WAY too much.    I think he can serve a purpose, but he should never be that involved.   I suppose the Patriots gameplan forced that.

The defense wasnt good, but I put this game on the offense.    The defense isnt good enough to be on the field as long as it had to be because Ben and the offense couldnt sustain a drive.    

This was a bad game for us to start off with, and I think the team will bounce back, but its just going to be another "same old story" year.   8 to 11 wins, and if we make the playoffs, it will be an early exit.

• Like 2

This was as bad a matchup as we could ask for in the first week in sept. JuJu got arguably the best CB in football and that’s probably the top secondary in the league in total. 

The coaching staff was scary though. I was already not a fan of Fitchner, but good lord. Sucks watching really strong offensive coaching staffs kill it will far lesser QBs than Ben. Part of this is on Ben too for wanting “his guy”, but he doesn’t understand how to run an offense. I’d dive more in on him, but I honestly don’t have it in me right now. 

Butler/Tomlin, I don’t know man. Seemed like they gave up early and just went, welp no reason to try to change now. 

Mark Barron looks exactly like a guy who was a safety, but couldn’t play safety so he moved to LB, but couldn’t really play LBer. 

• Like 2

Despite popular apparent belief I dont think last night had ANYTHING to do with "missing AB". However Moncrief was atrocious last night.

Bud Dupree couldn't win his 1 on 1 matchups and because NE made it their personal business to eliminate Watt from the equation, it made the pass rush non-existent. He needs to be benched.

Idk what the point of having a strong, physical Tight End is, we dont use him.

Our secondary. I credit Kelly for his effort, he just in no way was gonna be effective against Brady.

Bush played far more than I expected. For all the offseason hype about this defense not one of them looked like they had a clue what they were doing. They looked lost.

But then so did the offense.

After the conclusion of this season, Sean Davis, Artie Burns, Vince Williams, Bud Dupree, Donte Moncrief, Tyler Matakevich, Anthony Chickillo, Jordan Dangerfield, and frankly, Mark Baron need to be cut. We need to do whatever it takes to get a quality OLB, S, and TE (though I'd almost rather get 2 OLBs and a S).

Keith Butler and Randy Fichtner need to be removed from the coaching staff. We need coordinators with far more aggression.

Alright, I'll put some of my view on it:

~Moncreif is a disaster.  People fought me on my offseason plan of throwing money at CJ Mosley and then drafting 2 WR's.  Some of the idiots on this board always crap on what I say and try to make it out like I don't know anything.  It's time for all of you to shut up and sit down.  You are the ones that said the WR depth was fine.

Rumor has it that A LOT of Miami players want out and that Xavien Howard might be the only untouchable.  Do your framing job Colbert.  Go get DeVante Parker, Minkah Fitzpatrick, or Charles Harris.  All three of these guys can help out team.

~Gameplanning sucked.  We took out own best two out rather than force it some with them.  The fact that we didn't do that is an absolute joke.  12 carries for Conner?  Especially in the manner it happened?  Knowing run from pass under Fichtner is just as easy as under Haley.  Seems like we're still going off the shotgun based offense, rather than what was so good last year: 12 personnel with Nix leading Conner.

~Defensively.  Our defensive scouts are terrible, especially in the secondary.  Haden and Nelson were rarely targeted.  Anyone else notice that?  It was Hilton, Barron, and Williams that got abused.  Kam Kelley is not the answer.  Edmunds is getting stupid hate as he had to cover up for Hilton's *** all game long. But no, all offseason all the people who mocked my thoughts on what to do were the ones telling me how great Hilton was.

~Coaching.  :shrug:  Lets run through it.  Danny Smith - Punt return unit sucked; stop going for the block and give a chance for someone to break one off.  Punt coverage unit; not too bad.  Kick return....hard to tell; I think they need to tell Switz to put his heels on the GL and if it's over your head let it go, if you come forward then return it; and if it bounces in front of you, let it go.  Kick coverage....didn't get a chance.  Randy Fichtner - Tried to get way too cute.  Those tosses worked last year, and you don't think that BB will study that and work on it?  JFC.  Deep passes on 3rd and short need to be ditched back in 2003.  Move Juju, get in the I-formation some, and OH YEA IT'S OK TO THROW TO A TE OR EVEN SEND HIM ON A ROUTE!!!!  Shawn Surrette - perfectly fine.  Complaining about the OL performance?  Get out.   Keith Butler - Has 0 feel for the flow of the game and is unable to see what's going on and moving to what they are doing.  NE did to us what we did to them last year.  Spread us out, get us moving sideline to sideline, then attack the seams. He's very much taken the LeBeau of "your side is your side and that's it". How about we move guys around a bit?  Also the ILB musical chairs needs to stop.  Just put Bush in there for most the snaps and let the other two guys fight for the right to be in there.

~Tomlin.  Yes I'm giving him his own category.  Sigh.  I dunno what to say really.  I think a lot of the complaints about his coaching doesn't really look at the full picture of what happens.  His feel for the flow isn't great, but it's not the worst.  I think Tomlin's issue for the most part is, typically what got you a win last time will work again.  But not against the Patriots.  Belichick, especially with an entire offseason to prepare, will dissect this to the core about what happened and come up with a way to get points.  I think yet again, Tomlin's fingerprints were on the defense but the players to execute it just weren't there.

Way too early 2020 wishes:

Projected cap: $210mil, cap space: $13,959,838

Cuts: Barron ($5,250,000), Chickillo ($5mil), Moncrief ($4mil), McCullers ($1.5mil), Nelson ($5,750,000).  That's $21.5mil in savings.

Dream Shopping list ($35,459,838) based on the assumption it's "one last ride" for Ben:

AJ Green, Jabaal Sheard, Tre Boston

Draft (going to assume a record close to last year):

RD 1 - Xavier McKinney S BAMA, RD 2 - AJ Terrell CB Clemson, RD 3 -  Tyler Vaughns WR USC