Who are the best teams the Brady/Belichick Patriots have beat in the playoffs?

patriotsheatyan

1 minute ago, August4th said:

don't think the steelers gave up two special teams touchdowns in one game since 01 AFC title game

most painful steelers game in my lifetime and its not close

I specifically remember Bill Belichick saying to a Boston reporter prior to the game that he had no idea where the points were going to come from, as the Patriots offense in January 2002 certainly wasn’t what it is today. My cousin (a huge Steelers fan) told me after the game that the Steelers had neglected special teams for years, and it finally came back to bite them. 

I’ve been a Patriots fan since January ‘86, and I’ve never seen a game like that one. Almost 20 years later it still stands out as a very great game among great games. The only reason this game isn’t talked about more is because of the game that followed it two weeks later.

It was also a nice swan song for Drew Bledsoe to close out his time in New England.

@rfournier103 The 04 game is amazing. Full game is on Youtube, and because I'm now older and sadder, I watched it last night :)

Harrison balled out big time, he was pumped. Pick 6 off a young looking Ben (as young as Ben can look). Brady connected with Branch on two absolute bombs. Two turnovers in as many minutes in the first Q. We were never in danger, really, although PIT has a vicious 3rd Q - it was just too much for them to overcome. 

They had a pretty tasty team - Bettis, Farrior, Porter et al jawing at us the entire way through. Good times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

@rfournier103 The 04 game is amazing. Full game is on Youtube, and because I'm now older and sadder, I watched it last night :)

Harrison balled out big time, he was pumped. Pick 6 off a young looking Ben (as young as Ben can look). Brady connected with Branch on two absolute bombs. Two turnovers in as many minutes in the first Q. We were never in danger, really, although PIT has a vicious 3rd Q - it was just too much for them to overcome. 

They had a pretty tasty team - Bettis, Farrior, Porter et al jawing at us the entire way through. Good times.

Nice!

i have an extensive DVD/Blu-ray collection that includes all six SB season highlight videos AND all six volumes of Three Games to Glory. NFL Films really does a great job. I’ve watched the 2001; ‘04; and ‘16 AFC Championship Games multiple times. Good times, indeed.

As far as the Steelers “trash-mouth” brand of football goes, I’ve never seen anyone talk so much and deliver so infrequently. I do think they’re learning their lesson, though, because I didn’t hear any chatter prior to last Sunday’s game. Not that it helped them on the field any, but it shows emotional growth, and that should be encouraging to Pittsburgh fans. The Steelers didn’t make the Patriots angry and the Pats called off the dogs in the second half. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rfournier103 said:

As far as the Steelers “trash-mouth” brand of football goes, I’ve never seen anyone talk so much and deliver so infrequently. I do think they’re learning their lesson, though, because I didn’t hear any chatter prior to last Sunday’s game. 

Ironic, considering they actually won the previous matchup. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

04 Steelers game was turnover city, if I remember?

2004 is a good example of the Patriots greatness.

That was a pretty much a 3 team league:

• The 14-2 Patriots
  • The 13-1  (and then did not try the next 2 games) Eagles 13-3
  • The 15-1 Steelers who stomped the Patriots and the Eagles that year (34-20 and 27-3 in back to back weeks)

The Patriots killed the Steelers in the AFCCG (24-3 at the half) and then they were 1 McNabb better than those Eagles.

In those last 2 games the Eagles and Steelers had 8 turnovers and the Patriots had 1.

If you had to pick a 4th best team that year it was Indy. The Patriots beat them 20-3 in the playoffs after Manning put up 49 the week before (and also beat them in the regular season)

Its pretty easy to tell who the best team was that year. Some Eagles fans retroactively pretend fake walkthrough taping. I blame McNabb <<<<< Brady.

The AFC EAST Jets beat the only other team that could pretend they were any good that year.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

2004 is a good example of the Patriots greatness.

That was a pretty much a 3 team league:

• The 14-2 Patriots
  • The 13-1  (and then did not try the next 2 games) Eagles 13-3
  • The 15-1 Steelers who stomped the Patriots and the Eagles that year (34-20 and 27-3 in back to back weeks)

The Patriots killed the Steelers in the AFCCG (24-3 at the half) and then they were 1 McNabb better than those Eagles.

In those last 2 games the Eagles and Steelers had 8 turnovers and the Patriots had 1.

If you had to pick a 4th best team that year it was Indy. The Patriots beat them 20-3 in the playoffs after Manning put up 49 the week before (and also beat them in the regular season)

Its pretty easy to tell who the best team was that year. Some Eagles fans retroactively pretend fake walkthrough taping. I blame McNabb <<<<< Brady.

The AFC EAST Jets beat the only other team that could pretend they were any good that year.

For what it’s worth, in my opinion the 2004 Patriots is the best Patriots team of all time with a slight nod to the 2016 squad.